Under New House Health-Care Bill, Rape Is a Preexisting Condition

The hyperbole of the left is reaching new heights.

No hyperbole at all. My statement stands. We democrats want everyone to have health care, just like everyone over 65 have Medicare. If you get hung up on saying, '... that is not "insurance"', then simply don't call it insurance.

You democrats want a lot of things that are stupid.

You can't even define what health care is. When do you decide that people got "health care" ? You've never answered that question.

Having spent 50 years in the health insurance business, drafting health insurance policies, I assure you that I know what "health care" is. In the contract under which you are insured, it is, "Care and treatment of the insured for body or mental disorder, or injury."

You had caps on your policies ?

Many were capped at a Mil.

When I entered my health insurance career in 1966, I rated group health policies. Our typical policy had a $20 Room and Board benefit, $200 surgical benefit, $4 per day doctor visit, and a $5,000 major medical lifetime (or calendar year, if you wanted to pay more) maximum. The typical monthly premium per employee was about $35 to $40 per month.

Domestic abuse survivors and mothers could also see be denied coverage or see their premiums increased under the plan.

When House Republicans passed the American Health Care Act on Thursday, many Americans likely thought of their family and friends living with cancer, diabetes, or heart disease. These diseases are commonly referred to as “pre-existing conditions” – conditions which, under the Republican health care bill, could result in them being denied health insurance.

But another, less publicised group of people were also concerned by the bill's passage: rape survivors.

Before Obamacare, some insurance companies considered rape and domestic abuse pre-existing conditions. One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away after telling a potential insurance that she was a domestic violence victim – despite otherwise being perfectly healthy.

Half of the top 16 insurance companies in the US in 1994 admitted they considered domestic violence in factor in determining premiums, and whether or not to deny someone coverage.

Under Obamacare, that changed: The law prohibited employers from denying coverage or racking up premiums for those with pre-existing conditions. It also prohibited insurers from “gender rating,” or charging more for insurance just for being a woman. The number of uninsured women went from 19 per cent to just 8 per cent after it was passed.

The new American Health Care Act, however, contains an amendment allows states to opt out of protections for pre-existing conditions. That means women like Ms Neal-Post could once again find themselves unable to find coverage.

More: Under New Health-Care Bill, Rape Is a Preexisting Condition

Unbelievable - and unconscionable! This should infuriate all women. Even as a man - I'm infuriated. By definition - rape is not a choice.

/--- If I buy an expensive boat but no insurance then wreck it, can I buy insurance after the fact and have the insurance company fix the damage?The cracked hull is pre existing.
Comparing the value of a human life to a boat? Have the RW pro-life advocates wandered off the path leading to the sanctity
of life? If you are a religious person there is no excuse for your cold blooded assertion. Fall on your knees and ask God to forgive you.
If you are an atheist, your Godless mindset is more understandable. But even some atheists have compassion. Secular Humanism embraces many facets of Christianity. I suspect,though, that you serve no god but Mammon.
He didn't compare the value of a human life to a boat. He made a statement about how insurance works. Of course you knew that, I hope.
We are moving away from true medical insurance to a government entitlement. In the case of true insurance, buying a policy to pay for a pre existing condition is called insurance fraud. And it has nothing to do with comparing the value of a human life to the value of a boat,

Actually, it is not insurance fraud. Every state required a policy provision that a misstatement on a policy application was a material misrepresentation, and not fraud. The difference being that the insurer could rescind the policy within the first 2 years if they discovered the mistreatment (if they refund your premium), but such mistreatment can not be used for criminal charges against the applicant. It was part of my job, in my insurance career, to spot those misrepresentations, rescind your coverage, and return you money. if you were to send me a letter telling me that we had cut you off midway through your chemo, we would tell you "tough luck", And here is one of the major ways that I spotted lies on applications. I would order an MIB report, which revealed your entire medical history. They gathered the information from medical providers. You gave them permission to share that info when you signed at the bottom of all that fine print.

MIB Group - Wikipedia

The hyperbole of the left is reaching new heights.

No hyperbole at all. My statement stands. We democrats want everyone to have health care, just like everyone over 65 have Medicare. If you get hung up on saying, '... that is not "insurance"', then simply don't call it insurance.

You can't even define what health care is. When do you decide that people got "health care" ? You've never answered that question.

Having spent 50 years in the health insurance business, drafting health insurance policies, I assure you that I know what "health care" is. In the contract under which you are insured, it is, "Care and treatment of the insured for body or mental disorder, or injury."

There were caps on most policies before Obamcare was signed.

Yes there were.

And are....and so the definition of 'care and treament of the insured for body or mental disorder or injury" isn't totally correct.

Read page 70. It will prove you all wrong-

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-115hr1628rh/pdf/BILLS-115hr1628rh.pdf

(a) Modification of Definition of Qualified Health Plan.--
(1) In general.--Section 36B(c)(3)(A) of the Internal
Revenue Code of 1986 is amended--
(A) by inserting ``(determined without regard to
subparagraphs (A), (C)(ii), and (C)(iv) of paragraph
(1) thereof and without regard to whether the plan is
offered on an Exchange)'' after ``1301(a) of the
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act'', and
(B) by striking ``shall not include'' and all that
follows and inserting ``shall not include any health
plan that--
``(i) is a grandfathered health plan or a
grandmothered health plan, or
``(ii) includes coverage for abortions
(other than any abortion necessary to save the
life of the mother or any abortion with respect
to a pregnancy that is the result of an act of
rape or incest;

Not only is rape a pre-existing condition to them, but they think a mother pregnant by rape should be forced to carry the child with no benefits or assistance to the mother or the child.

Vote them out in 2018.

That's an old version of the Bill. One that DIED before a vote. It's an old trick to rile up the partisans. Go look at the Passed version and see if it's in there. It's dated March 20th.

That link is the Mar 20th version when I click on it. What I quoted says it will cover an abortion in the case of incest or rape, or the health of the mother. Not sure what you mean, flacaltenn.

plan that--
rape or incest;

Not only is rape a pre-existing condition to them, but they think a mother pregnant by rape should be forced to carry the child with no benefits or assistance to the mother or the child.

Vote them out in 2018.

That's an old version of the Bill. One that DIED before a vote. It's an old trick to rile up the partisans. Go look at the Passed version and see if it's in there. It's dated March 20th.

Domestic abuse survivors and mothers could also see be denied coverage or see their premiums increased under the plan.

When House Republicans passed the American Health Care Act on Thursday, many Americans likely thought of their family and friends living with cancer, diabetes, or heart disease. These diseases are commonly referred to as “pre-existing conditions” – conditions which, under the Republican health care bill, could result in them being denied health insurance.

But another, less publicised group of people were also concerned by the bill's passage: rape survivors.

Before Obamacare, some insurance companies considered rape and domestic abuse pre-existing conditions. One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away after telling a potential insurance that she was a domestic violence victim – despite otherwise being perfectly healthy.

Half of the top 16 insurance companies in the US in 1994 admitted they considered domestic violence in factor in determining premiums, and whether or not to deny someone coverage.

Under Obamacare, that changed: The law prohibited employers from denying coverage or racking up premiums for those with pre-existing conditions. It also prohibited insurers from “gender rating,” or charging more for insurance just for being a woman. The number of uninsured women went from 19 per cent to just 8 per cent after it was passed.

The new American Health Care Act, however, contains an amendment allows states to opt out of protections for pre-existing conditions. That means women like Ms Neal-Post could once again find themselves unable to find coverage.

Unbelievable - and unconscionable! This should infuriate all women. Even as a man - I'm infuriated. By definition - rape is not a choice.

/--- If I buy an expensive boat but no insurance then wreck it, can I buy insurance after the fact and have the insurance company fix the damage?The cracked hull is pre existing.
Comparing the value of a human life to a boat? Have the RW pro-life advocates wandered off the path leading to the sanctity
of life? If you are a religious person there is no excuse for your cold blooded assertion. Fall on your knees and ask God to forgive you.
If you are an atheist, your Godless mindset is more understandable. But even some atheists have compassion. Secular Humanism embraces many facets of Christianity. I suspect,though, that you serve no god but Mammon.
They're pro-birth. After that you're on your own.

Washington Redskin, stay out of the firewater

If a man is raped - will he then also have a preexisting condition under Trumpcare?
I believe so. Trumpcare would turn the stomach of any decent person.

And yet you asswipes love obamacare...which is increasing premiums to the point people can't pay them and deductibles that put medical treatment out of reach of poor people......and it is ending private insurance, as part of the plan........but you guys are okay with that because it was designed to go to single payer when hilary became President......

But actually trying to fix the problem...that is too far to go.....you guys are really stupid...

Many were capped at a Mil.

When I entered my health insurance career in 1966, I rated group health policies. Our typical policy had a $20 Room and Board benefit, $200 surgical benefit, $4 per day doctor visit, and a $5,000 major medical lifetime (or calendar year, if you wanted to pay more) maximum. The typical monthly premium per employee was about $35 to $40 per month.

A lifetime ago.

That link is the Mar 20th version when I click on it. What I quoted says it will cover an abortion in the case of incest or rape, or the health of the mother. Not sure what you mean, flacaltenn.

plan that--
rape or incest;

Vote them out in 2018.

I didn't write that clearly. Your link is the March 20 version. Before it died without a vote. To be accurate, you'd have to pull the bill as it PASSED with all the amendments. Too many "in process" versions floating around to just grab the first citation on Bing..

And we know this is a lie because the left wing is saying it...the truth....

Analysis | Despite critics’ claims, the GOP health bill doesn’t classify rape or sexual assault as a preexisting condition

The reality

The AHCA does not specifically address or classify rape or sexual assault as a pre-existing condition. It also would not deny coverage to anyone because of a pre-existing condition.

Under Obamacare, insurers are prohibited from discriminating against a host of health status-related factors for the purposes of eligibility. This list of factors includes a broad term called “health status,” and then other specific factors such as medical conditions (both mental and physical), claims experience, genetic information, disability and evidence of insurability, including conditions relating to acts of domestic violence. Obamacare also says insurers can only use four basic factors, such as age and geographical location, to determine rates for premiums and deductibles.

AHCA specifically addresses states’ abilities to get a waiver so that “health status” is no longer protected from underwriting, according to a House Energy and Commerce aide. But other protections remain in place — including for mental conditions and conditions relating to acts of domestic violence — and are still protected from being incorporated into insurance underwriting, according to the aide.

States and the Secretary of Health and Human Services would decide how to interpret “health status.” State waivers must be approved by the federal government. Opponents of AHCA say that because “health status” is up for interpretation, there is no control in the bill to prevent rising costs for survivors of rape and sexual assault.

But there is another wrinkle which makes this scenario highly unlikely: Virtually every state already has a law prohibiting insurance discrimination based on sexual assault and/or domestic violence.

At least 45 states have laws prohibiting health insurance companies from using a woman’s status as a domestic violence survivor to deny coverage, according to the National Women’s Law Center.

“Domestic violence” is not always interchangeable with sexual assault, including rape. All but two states (Idaho and Vermont) enacted key provisions of a 1999 model legislation by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners to ban insurers from discriminating against sexual abuse survivors, according to America’s Health Insurance Plans, a trade association for 1,300 health insurance companies. The organization, which said AHCA “needs important improvements,” said: “Our perspective is that of course survivors of domestic abuse and rape should be covered.”

To add insult to injury this health bill defunds Planned Parenthood for one year. Meaning poor women who use Planned Parenthood for physicals, pap smears & Mammograms will be cut off. Federal funding was allowed so poor women could pay a reduced price for these procedures.
House votes to defund Planned Parenthood for one year

This continual--insatiable attack on women by Republicans in this country is not going to go over well in 2018. They are going to get steamrolled.

170121211838-28-womens-march-dc-exlarge-169.jpg

For more women's march pictures--the day after Trump was inaugurated go to this link. They were in the millions and this played out in every state across this country.
Woman's march pictures

What's hillarious about this bill--it specifically targets the 50-64 year age group. They are now the "high risk" pool. The majority of these people voted for Trump. Insurer's will now be turned loose on them, they're premiums will skyrocket and the icing on the cake is---It is they that either have, or will get a pre-existing condition. We're going back to the days where insurers will just hang up on people with any pre-existing conditions. Republican House members just passed this bill to put a feather in the Ass Clown's hat that is sitting in the Oval office. It's dead on arrival in the Senate. The Senate says it will write it's own health care bill. So it's going to be political ping pong with your healthcare.
House to vote Thursday on Obamacare repeal bill - CNNPolitics.com
Next steps for GOP health plan: Senate plans to write its own bill

trump-stupid-people-groups.jpg

John Boehner former Republican house leader--laughed and stated a few months ago--that all the Repeal & Replace rhetoric by Republicans was nothing more than "Wildly optimistic--Happy Campaign talk." The point is they never had a bill that could replace Obamacare. They had 7 long years to structure one, and didn't.
Report: John Boehner says Obamacare won't be repealed and replaced

Here is AARP'S comment on this health care bill:
8 Ways New Healthcare Bill Is Harmful to Your Health - AARP

Last edited:

Forum List

Back