"Under God" vs. "Siddhartha"

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
OK..... here's the deal....

We all know that the Pledge of Allegiance is under attack by the ACLU because it contains the word "under God", which has been declared "religious coercion" by some judge.....

Meanwhile, my son comes home with a book assignment, "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse.... which is the story of the Buddha and how he gained enlightenment (which I also read as a kid, and I can tell you that it is based on Buddhist Scripture)....

So why isn't this considered religious coercion?

Enquiring Minds would like to know!

KarlMarx said:

We all know that the Pledge of Allegiance is under attack by the ACLU because it contains the word "under God", which has been declared "religious coercion" by some judge.....

Meanwhile, my son comes home with a book assignment, "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse.... which is the story of the Buddha and how he gained enlightenment (which I also read as a kid, and I can tell you that it is based on Buddhist Scripture)....

Hesse is a well respected writer. Anything he wrote is worth reading, regardless of subject matter. He wrote about several different religions. Similarly if your son studies art history, hopefully he will be exposed to works by Caravaggio, Leonardo and Michelangelo with subjects such as madonna and child, the pieta and the last supper. Hopefully he'll also see sculptures depicting the Greek and Roman gods.

Commonality is quality.

KarlMarx said:

I took a Bible Class while in Public High School were they attempting to coerce me into Christianity?

Learning about cultures will often include religions as well, we also learned about Islam, Hindu, and Buddhism in that same Public High School.

I'm not against learning about other cultures, or even religions, to the contrary...

But I wonder if they showed "The 10 Commandments" at school (in order to learn about the Passover).... what the ACLU would have to say about it....

The point I'm trying to make is that when it's Christianity or Judaism that is the target, there is a separation of church and state issue raised. But other, non-Western religions seem to be getting a pass....

It's not about "religion." It's about race. Jesus is revered by whites. Buddha is revered by non-whites. That's all you need to know. I suppose I could tell you a different story, but I'd be blowing sunshine up your skirt. The War Against Christianity isn't a war against Christ, the Bible or any of that. It's part of the war against traditional white America.

* Senatus Populus Que Romanus --- nice avatar!

William Joyce said:
It's not about "religion." It's about race. Jesus is revered by whites. Buddha is revered by non-whites. That's all you need to know. I suppose I could tell you a different story, but I'd be blowing sunshine up your skirt. The War Against Christianity isn't a war against Christ, the Bible or any of that. It's part of the war against traditional white America.

Um....You're right about the avatar. Very classy.

The ClayTaurus said:
The war against traditional white America?

Yeah, I wonder what traditional white America means anyway? Wonder Bread, Twinkies, Wayne Newton, I Love Lucy, etc?
:piss2: :gives: :trolls: :spank3: :clap1:

William Joyce said:

I can say THIS ... you ARE consistent.

The war against Christianity by those who call themselves secular is NOT your perceived war against traditional white America.

Those who do not wish to be hampered by a set of rules that says their immoral behavior is wrong, or see themselves as intellectual, scientific geniuses who have proven in their own minds there is no God attack Christianity.

Those who attack white America are no better than those who attack diverse America. It's racism, plain and simple.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
"It's not about "religion." It's about race. Jesus is revered by whites. Buddha is revered by non-whites. That's all you need to know."

I didn't know that I wasn't white...

Wow, thanks for telling me Willy!

I took a humanities class in my public high school. One of the highlights of this class was a field trip during the religion unit that included stops at a Protestant Church, a Catholic Church, a Muslim Mosque, and a Jewish Synagogue. Most Buddhists, including my group, meet in people's homes for religious services.

I also point out that Hesse was not a Buddhist. He was raised in India by his Christian missionary parents. Hesse wasn't religious per se as an adult,though he did practice aesthetism for a time. Siddhartha was a reflection of time he spent growing up in India and as an adult in China. Please read this biography of Hesse, he's not only a brilliant writer but a fasciniating man: http://www.gss.ucsb.edu/projects/hesse/life/jennifer.html

acludem

no1tovote4 said:
"It's not about "religion." It's about race. Jesus is revered by whites. Buddha is revered by non-whites. That's all you need to know."

I didn't know that I wasn't white...

Wow, thanks for telling me Willy!

Most Buddhists in this country are white. Then again Jesus was a Jew. Last I heard Nazi types didn't think Jews were white. I'm getting confused here.

Nuc said:
Most Buddhists in this country are white. Then again Jesus was a Jew. Last I heard Nazi types didn't think Jews were white. I'm getting confused here.

Batten the hatches. You just opened the floodgates!!!

Ummm.... well ..... that's if he comes back. He IS prone to disappearing. ;)

GunnyL said:
Batten the hatches. You just opened the floodgates!!!

Ummm.... well ..... that's if he comes back. He IS prone to disappearing. ;)

Well if he comes back maybe he'll answer my question about whether or not the Black Panthers raped and murdered his daughter, and if not why he fantasizes about it.

If they did, then I can understand his point of view better. If not......
:boohoo: :blowup: :bang3: :chillpill :cry:

KarlMarx said:

According to the ACLU...If it has a Cross or Star...BAD
anything else is A-okay...well until all crosses and stars are removed then the rest will be in the crosshair!(pun)

et tu Brute....(L)

archangel said:
According to the ACLU...If it has a Cross or Star...BAD
anything else is A-okay...well until all crosses and stars are removed then the rest will be in the crosshair!(pun)

et tu Brute....(L)

It never ceases to amaze me the incredible power you guys attribute to the ACLU. I happened to pass by their office here yesterday and it's tiny. It was also closed in the middle of the day. They must have supernatural powers to destroy society on the scale you guys give them credit for.

Nuc said:
It never ceases to amaze me the incredible power you guys attribute to the ACLU. I happened to pass by their office here yesterday and it's tiny. It was also closed in the middle of the day. They must have supernatural powers to destroy society on the scale you guys give them credit for.

Just the power of super donations via the Hollywood elite and Mr.Soros et al!
relax you will not be left out of their thrust...after Christianity and Jeudiasm is removed they will pay attention to Buddah et al! :tng:

archangel said:
Just the power of super donations via the Hollywood elite and Mr.Soros et al!
relax you will not be left out of their thrust...after Christianity and Jeudiasm is removed they will pay attention to Buddah et al! :tng:

Yeah, and then they'll put Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's head on Mt. Rushmore, too, wouldn't that be awesome?

Nuc said:
Yeah, and then they'll put Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's head on Mt. Rushmore, too, wouldn't that be awesome?

they would put one of their Idols...more along the line of Stalin or Karl Marx! :dev1:

Forum List

Back