UNC Professor: U.S. Went To War With Japan In WWII Because Of White Supremacy

That is debatable

In any case, none of this addresses the fraud perpetrated by the OP
You dont get to walk away from this claim. I have a link that I have posted in numerous threads on this subject that has SOURCE documents of the Japanese Government.

You dont get to walk away from this claim. I have a link that I have posted in numerous threads on this subject that has SOURCE documents of the Japanese Government.
Well I am not going to push the issue since there appears to be credible evidence on both sides. However it seems to me that it could have been done differently. The Japanese could have been given more time before the 2nd bomb was dropped. The bomb could have been detonated off shore to show them what we had. Or, they could have chosen military targets instead of cities

The fact remains that regardless of who is right about the bomb, racism played a role in the events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor. We do not know exactly what the professor said about Pearl Harbor but the highly biased and dishonest article that the OP linked to tried to give the impression that his position was that it never happened.

What it all comes down to is that the OP and the article are nothing but thinly vailed rants against Critical Race Theory. The professor is not trying to rewrite history to inject racism where there was none. Rather, he is trying to resurrect the lost history of racism that those on the right wish to burry

Well I am not going to push the issue since there appears to be credible evidence on both sides. However it seems to me that it could have been done differently. The Japanese could have been given more time before the 2nd bomb was dropped. The bomb could have been detonated off shore to show them what we had. Or, they could have chosen military targets instead of cities

The fact remains that regardless of who is right about the bomb, racism played a role in the events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor. We do not know exactly what the professor said about Pearl Harbor but the highly biased and dishonest article that the OP linked to tried to give the impression that his position was that it never happened.

What it all comes down to is that the OP and the article are nothing but thinly vailed rants against Critical Race Theory. The professor is not trying to rewrite history to inject racism where there was none. Rather, he is trying to resurrect the lost history of racism that those on the right wish to burry

No, actually, the Japanese couldn't have been given "more time" at all.

Joe Stalin was on the march in Manchuria in August 1945, and the possibility of losing Japan to communism after the war was there. Time was of the utter essence.

No, actually, the Japanese couldn't have been given "more time" at all.

Joe Stalin was on the march in Manchuria in August 1945, and the possibility of losing Japan to communism after the war was there. Time was of the utter essence.
OK That's interesting. Perhaps you know something Do you any more information on that? In any case, it seems that they could have avoided population centers

OK That's interesting. Perhaps you know something Do you any more information on that? In any case, it seems that they could have avoided population centers
You dont know that the Soviets declared war on Japan in Aug 1945? That they pretty much wrapped up the Japanese army with out a fight? That they intended to invade at least 2 Islands of Japan? As for population centers EVERY single military target was in a city and both cities bombed were IN FACT military targets.

There was nothing America could do since we were disarmed by FDR's risky schemes, so turning a blind eye was all that could be done. Germany would have never instituted their Holocaust policy, if America had a proper military. But they figured, what the hey, let's piss off America and start WW2.
Preppies Owe Vietnam Vets 60,000 Lives

The Republicans were the Isolationists during FDR's terms. And during the Vietnam War, your heroes' spoiled and sheltered sissyboy sons were the draftdodgers. Desertion during the time of war is a capital offense.

Preppies Owe Vietnam Vets 60,000 Lives

The Republicans were the Isolationists during FDR's terms. And during the Vietnam War, your heroes' spoiled and sheltered sissyboy sons were the draftdodgers. Desertion during the time of war is a capital offense.

Many Republicans were isolationists once war broke out in Europe in 1939.

Since our military wasn't worth a shit at that point in time, and America was still suffering under the Roosevelt Depression, it was the only smart move at that point in time.

Once Japan pulled a Pearl Harbor job on us in Hawaii- things changed.

You dont know that the Soviets declared war on Japan in Aug 1945? That they pretty much wrapped up the Japanese army with out a fight? That they intended to invade at least 2 Islands of Japan? As for population centers EVERY single military target was in a city and both cities bombed were IN FACT military targets.
Thanks for the history lesson but I am still not convinced that there was no other way. But as I said, the issue of the bomb is just a distraction at this point. Nothing about it changes the fact that the OP is a lie. It is a rant against Critical Race Theory. The professor revising history to interject racism where there was none.

Civilians within the japanese government were never keen on war with the US to begin with and were far more willing to surrender than the military

unofficial peace feelers were coming from the civilians

but civilians did not control japan

the military was in control and they were never willing to surrender

Civilians within the japanese government were never keen on war with the US to begin with and were far more willing to surrender than the military

unofficial peace feelers were coming from the civilians

but civilians did not control japan

the military was in control and they were never willing to surrender
Read the article.

Read the article.
I did

everyone is entitled to an opinion

the leaders of the war often disagreed strongly on decisions that were made

thats not uncommon at all

one example was the invasion of the phippines

MacArthur was for it and Nimitz opposed

Just a few points

The title of the article

U.S. Went To War With Japan In WWII Because Of White Supremacy​

is highly biased and inflammatory. The fact is that we do not know exactly what he said in class because all that we have is the account of what he was teaching from an obviously biased right wing, anti woke culture source

As evidence of bias and dishonesty they post this under the title:
View attachment 609777
To give the impression that the professor is a Pearl Harbor denier. There is no evidence of that .

Their bias is obvious from a quick perusal of other articles that include climate change denial, a reference to "cackling Kamila" (Harris) who they claim does not care what people want, and numerous attacks on Biden, Fauci and other democrats

Getting back to the topic, I doubt that this professor said that racism was the sole case of the war in the pacific, but it certainly played a role- a role that I never learned about in Hight School

And let's not just talk about how it started, but also about how it ended...with the dropping of two atomic bombs, just days apart of civilian population centers, without warning - at a time when the Japanese knew that they were defeated and were ready to surrender, if the US agreed to allow them to keep their Empereur. THAT is racism! Racism that we never talk about

So, this issue is just another attack on Critical Race Theory where the truth is actually told. It is not this professor who is revising history. It is his critics who are attacking him for telling the truth. Yes he woke, and that is not a bad thing. Woke people do not have to lie about history, but we do have to defend against those who are afraid of history

In conclusion, the short answer is that we went to war with Japan because they attacked us. But that is the simplistic and dumbed down answer that conservatives favor as opposed to a more complex analysis that strains their limited intelect
My research primarily focuses on the East Asia region between 1895, when Japan began its project to colonize Taiwan, Manchuria, and Korea, and 1945, when the Allied Powers dismantled Japan’s extensive empire. I explore colonially inflected transformations in political and economic organization, philosophy, psychology, and literature, and focus on gender, sexuality, and ethnicity to carefully situate Japan’s rise to power. This work draws on my extensive academic training in the United States, France, and Japan; fluency in Japanese, proficiency in Chinese, and basic reading skills in Korean; and over five years of archival and field research in Japan and China. My published work cuts across several disciplines: postcolonial studies, cultural history, critical race and ethnicity studies, Asian studies, philosophy, and literature.

Dr Driscoll is academically qualified

no question about that

He speaks, reads and writes Chinese, Japanese and Korean

that’s impressive

unfortunately he also crazy as a loon and wastes all his brainpower coming to the wrong conclusions

In the first installment of the Spring 2021 Wednesdays at the Center Series, Dr. Mark Driscoll discussed Western imperialism in Asia in the 19thcentury and how his climate of “climate caucasianism” established a system of racist environmental destruction that has persevered through modern times.

During his lecture, Driscoll drew on the concepts he lines out in his newly published book, The Whites Are Enemies of Heaven: Climate Caucasianism and Asian Ecological Protection(link is external) (Duke University Press, 2021). In the book, Driscoll utilizes an array of primary sources in Chinese, Japanese, and French to recontextualize the Opium Wars as a key moment in both the emergence of extractive, coal-fed capitalism and the destruction of Qing China’s world leading carbon-neutral economy. He also discusses how subaltern actors, such as outlaw societies and dispossessed samurai groups, became ecological protectors, protecting their land from the rampant and extractive “climate caucasianism”.

Really? The Pearl Harbor job that Japan pulled on us when they attacked Hawaii had nothing to do with it?
I think the japanese were very stupid to attack Pearl Harbor

that was the only event that could bring America into the war

if they had only attacked British and Dutch colonies without touching the philippines FDR would have been checkmated

I wonder what the overeducated moron at UNC thinks about that?

I think the japanese were very stupid to attack Pearl Harbor

that was the only event that could bring America into the war

if they had only attacked British and Dutch colonies without touching the philippines FDR would have been checkmated

I wonder what the overeducated moron at UNC thinks about that?
There was a problem that forced the Pearl attack. Sanctions cut off Japan’s oil supplies. Indonesia was dripping with oil. What’s in between Indonesia and Japan? America held Philippines. So they simultaneously attacked Pearl and the Philippines. The plan was to disable the US Navy, remove the threat from the Philippines, and secure the Indonesia oil. They would then sue for a ceasefire and peace within a year.

If they had made the 2nd wave attack as planned they would have taken out the ship repair capabilities and oil stores. That would bought them the year and Midway would have been in Japanese hands.

There was a problem that forced the Pearl attack. Sanctions cut off Japan’s oil supplies. Indonesia was dripping with oil. What’s in between Indonesia and Japan? America held Philippines. So they simultaneously attacked Pearl and the Philippines. The plan was to disable the US Navy, remove the threat from the Philippines, and secure the Indonesia oil. They would then sue for a ceasefire and peace within a year.

If they had made the 2nd wave attack as planned they would have taken out the ship repair capabilities and oil stores. That would bought them the year and Midway would have been in Japanese hands.
FDR’s hands were tied by US voters isolation sentiment

Had Japan only attacked the British and Dutch but not the US he meaning Roosevelt would have been accused of dragging the US into war FDR would not have been able to intervene else he would have been very unpopular

But the Japanese handed him a gift

What's do White people have to be proud of, anyway?

Democracy? Aristotle, Plato and Socrates? the Roman Empire? European civilization? the Renaissance, the Scientific Revolution, the Age of Discovery, the Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution and the Age of Revolution? Universities? Great cathedrals?

Putting to use to such technologies as steam, electric and nuclear power? Inventing movies, television, the personal computer and the Internet? Artists such as Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, Beethoven, Vincent van Gogh, Picasso, Bach, Mozart and the Beatles?

The UN? NATO?

"White supremacy"???

Of course, I do NOT know.

BUT I have read that back then, many Americans underestimated the Japanese because of their shorter stature.

And I have read that many Americans were overconfident. Some Americans claimed that Americans could whip the Japanese with one hand tied behind them.

Maybe (maybe!) this attitude toward Asians convinced some Americans that the Vietnam War would be a walk in the park.

Forum List

Back