UN-Lock Your Apple?

The government can buy iPhones by the thousands and hire all the help they need to crack Apple's security. Question then becomes, does Apple want to do this themselves and have control somewhat over the process or yield all that control to the government who'll probably outsource it to India?

apple is most likely developing the next IPhone with new security features

The next iPhone (the 7) is, IIRC, already in the pipeline...and yeah, I'd guess the security has been upgraded.

People are acting like unbreakable encryption is a new concept and that the FBI getting all pissy because they can't crack it has never happened before.

2010 called, they want their news back.

FBI hackers fail to crack TrueCrypt

My friend had his computers ceased by the FBI with this encryption. 3 years later and they have still been unable to crack it. It's called 256bit encryption.

Isn't there encryption that is even more secure than that now?

Make Apple unlock specific phones with a court order. But the technology stays with Apple and it's done by Apple employees. No way should Apple give anyone, including the FBI, a backdoor.

Then anything found would be useless as evidence, because there would be no true chain-of-custody.

Why can't apple just extract the data and give it to the fbi, rather than them demand the key?

Chain of evidence.

If someone is indicted by the evidence produced by the unlocking of the phone, the way the phone was unlocked, the key to unlocking all iPhones becomes part of that chain and public record.

The government can buy iPhones by the thousands and hire all the help they need to crack Apple's security. Question then becomes, does Apple want to do this themselves and have control somewhat over the process or yield all that control to the government who'll probably outsource it to India?

apple is most likely developing the next IPhone with new security features

The next iPhone (the 7) is, IIRC, already in the pipeline...and yeah, I'd guess the security has been upgraded.

yes bank on it

“There is nothing new in the realization that the Constitution sometimes insulates the criminality of a few in order to protect the privacy of us all.”
Justice Antonin Scalia
(Majority opinion, Arizona v. Hicks, 1987.)

North Korea has just released a new smartphone which American liberals are buying like popcorn!

Each one comes with a password known only to the purchaser and to The NK Ministry of all things good.

Now THERE is a level of security you liberals must love!

The "delay" programming doesn't magically create itself, it's hard coded and only takes a change to the instruction that compares attempts to a max attempts counter of three. Change the max attempts counter to all 9's and you have your crack. Apple need only sign the software patch any apply it to the phone. Everyone else's privacy is maintained.

I have galaxy products. But even so, I have nothing to hide from the government. It's the hackers that are the problem. And the hackers WILL find a way to decrypt Apple's security systems. Rock paper scissors. And If the feds have a warrant, it's illegal to defy them. Period...So why the fuss?

I'm more then a bit split on this one.
I would love for the FBI to have ALL that crazed killers info. It MIGHT save a life.
So part of me says yeah rip that phone apart.

At the same time it appears Apple has designed a phone so well the FBI cannot get your stuff. That is major privacy and protection from snooping.

So what do we give up?
A little privacy for protection.
OR
A little protection for privacy?
The two terrorist destroyed their phones. This is just the guys work phone. The FBI can't recover anything off the burnt phones, which most likely had some information on it. He did not destroy his work phone which means there is no info on it. The FBI just wants either the key to do this or the authority to sequester Apple to do this at will by court order. This is not a good thing. This blank phone is just a means to get what they want more control. Even if there is something on the phone it has been months so any info on it would be useless anyway.

The FBI and government gets hacked all the time. Privacy act information, medical records of military personnel, social security information and tax information. I don't want the FBI to have a key or ability to unlock things at will. Perhaps they should not have shot the suspects, regardless the phone is just a blank.

Forum List

Back