UK Four Day Work Week Experiment: Can It Work Here?

Well, we could stop subsidies to farmers I guess, but we need farmers. As far as the distribution of money, we’ll, bigger farms have higher costs, so, it would be natural that they would need more than smaller farms.

I’m not opposed to a 4 day week, as long as they make it 4 - 10 hour days.
Heck do 3-13's. They can dock me the hour.

Yeah, sounds awesome. The ones that do all the real work get fucked again. As usual.

I might have to disagree with you there ... Sorry man.
I would prefer it if part-time employees quit applying for full-time jobs ... It's like they don't want to work ... :auiqs.jpg:

It would make it a lot easier to locate, hire and train People who actually want to work and make some money.
Plus ... Once you can weed out the deadbeats ... The jobs will go smoother ... And less conflict in the workplace.

I might have to disagree with you there ... Sorry man.
I would prefer it if part-time employees quit applying for full-time jobs ... It's like they don't want to work ... :auiqs.jpg:

It would make it a lot easier to locate, hire and train People who actually want to work and make some money.
Plus ... Once you can weed out the deadbeats ... The jobs will go smoother ... And less conflict in the workplace.

I just meant that the people that work in the offices get their hours cut with the same pay while the manual laborers gain nothing. As usual.

I just meant that the people that work in the offices get their hours cut with the same pay while the manual laborers gain nothing. As usual.

I understand that ... Just apply it to the entire workforce.
Anyone who thinks it is in their best interest to pay someone not to work ... Is someone I want to compete with in the market.

My plumber, heating and air technician, electrician ... They all know that.
I can call them on a Sunday afternoon ... And in most cases ... They will be there within an hour.

They want to work and make money ... They make good money too ...
A shitload more than a cubical jockey ever will.

Plus ... They come out on a call like that ... I'm going to tip them as well ...
Might even feed them ... :auiqs.jpg:

I understand that ... Just apply it to the entire workforce.
Anyone who thinks it is in their best interest to pay someone not to work ... Is someone I want to compete with in the market.

My plumber, heating and air technician, electrician ... They all know that.
I can call them on a Sunday afternoon ... And in most cases ... They will be there within an hour.

They want to work and make money ... They make good money too ...
A shitload more than a cubical jockey ever will ... :auiqs.jpg:

There were times I was paid to not work. There were times over the years when things would slow down. I would be paid even though I was not working because I was trained to get things working again when needed.

There were times I was paid to not work. There were times over the years when things would slow down. I would be paid even though I was not working because I was trained to get things working again when needed.

I am sure you have been paid not to work.
And ... People should get paid whatever they can provide for ... And the market will bear.

If someone is getting paid not to work ... You either have too many employees ... Or not enough work for your employees to do.
Hence ... If a person is getting paid not to work ... Then what is causing that ...
Is simply above their paygrade ... :thup:

And ... People should get paid whatever they can provide for ... And the market will bear.

If someone is getting paid not to work ... You either have too many employees ... Or not enough work for your employees to do.
Hence ... If a person is getting paid not to work ... Then what is causing that ...

Your vast generalization is either incomplete or ignorant. I noted why I was paid to not work at times. No one is being paid to never work......well, that is incomplete. Shareholders are paid and never put in any work.

Another reason why I decided to retire.

Not all professions have the same amount of work to do every day.

My wife is an ICU nurse. There have been days when they had more nurses scheduled than patients. So some nurses were getting paid to be there and not even have a patient. There is no way to avoid this.

Your vast generalization is either incomplete or ignorant. I noted why I was paid to not work at times. No one is being paid to never work......well, that is incomplete. Shareholders are paid and never put in any work.

Another reason why I decided to retire.

Great ... Stay at home ... Enjoy yourself ... You were getting paid not to work anyway ... :auiqs.jpg:

I am sure they can hire someone to do your job for less ... And that may want to work.
That person may eventually be as good at your job as you were ... Maybe they can get more out of them and pay them more money in the long run.

They aren't generalizations ... It's how business works.
It doesn't have to be shareholders either ... Anyone in the chain can be dropping the ball when it comes to efficiency.
I never suggested you didn't work sometimes ... And there are positions and demand for part-time employees.

Not all professions have the same amount of work to do every day.

I never said they did ... That's what "not enough work to do means" ... You ignorant twat ... :auiqs.jpg:
And of course there are always slow days.

That doesn't mean keeping people on the payroll just to pay them to stay home another day of the week.

And there are ways to better manage pretty much everything ... That's why some businesses run better than others.
But ... That's not up to your wife or the other nurses ... It's above their paygrade.

Last edited:

Great ... Stay at home ... Enjoy yourself ... You were getting paid not to work anyway ... :auiqs.jpg:

I am sure they can hire someone to do your job for less ... And that may want to work.​

It was the amount of time and the costs of training someone to do my job. When it was time to start back up, they didn't have 6-8 months to constantly train a new employee to just be able to do the basics.

It took probably 2 years to be really proficient at the job.

So no, they could not.

That person may eventually be as good at your job as you were ... Maybe they can get more out of them and pay them more money in the long run.​

And then have to start over on the next shut down. And you pretend you could compete?

In the entire world very few were able to compete any meaningful way.

They aren't generalizations ... It's how business works.
It doesn't have to be shareholders either ... Anyone in the chain can be dropping the ball when it comes to efficiency.
I never suggested you didn't work sometimes ... And there are positions and demand for part-time employees.

I was full time.

I never said they did ... That's what "not enough work to do means" ... You ignorant twat ... :auiqs.jpg:
Are there are ways to better manage pretty much everything ... That's why some businesses run better than others.
But ... That's not up to your wife or the other nurses ... It's above their paygrade.

Sometimes there is not enough work, other times there is too much. Totally out of control of anyone no matter what their paygrade is unless of course they can see the future.

As normal you are talking out of your ass and have no clue what you speak of

Sometimes there is not enough work, other times there is too much. Totally out of control of anyone no matter what their paygrade is unless of course they can see the future.

As normal you are talking out of your ass and have no clue what you speak of

Yes ... That's what I have been saying ... That's what "not enough work to do" ... Means.
And ... It isn't out of anyone's control if it involves paying them to stay the fuck at home ... You ignorant twat ... :auiqs.jpg:

Yes ... That's what I have been saying ... That's what "not enough work to do" ... Means.
And ... It isn't out of anyone's control if it involves paying them to stay the fuck at home ... You ignorant twat ... :auiqs.jpg:

If you pay them to stay the fuck home then you do not have enough staff when two more patients show up in the ER.

With each post you prove you have never worked anywhere but maybe Wendy's as a fry cook.

If you pay them to stay the fuck home then you do not have enough staff when two more patients show up in the ER.

With each post you prove you have never worked anywhere but maybe Wendy's as a fry cook.

How is someone who is at home ... Going to be working in the ER at the same time?
The Topic of the Thread is paying people the same amount of money to work four days a week instead of five ...
You ignorant twat ... :auiqs.jpg:

How is someone who is at home ... Going to be working in the ER at the same time?
The Topic of the Thread is paying people the same amount of money to work four days a week instead of five ...

most nurses already work 4 days a week only since they tend to do 12 hour shifts.

your ignorance is over flowing today

It's all relevant. People are paid more today for one day's work than people once were paid for a weeks work.

All the same, I offered to stay if I could work part time but I was told no. (I would have been paid less) The funny thing was, the company asked me to come back part time not long after I retired.

It was the amount of time and the costs of training someone to do my job. When it was time to start back up, they didn't have 6-8 months to constantly train a new employee to just be able to do the basics.

It took probably 2 years to be really proficient at the job.

So no, they could not.

And then have to start over on the next shut down. And you pretend you could compete?

In the entire world very few were able to compete any meaningful way.

I was full time.

What does any of that have to do with paying someone the same amount of money to work four days a week instead of five days a week?
I mean if you want to say that someone should pay you 52 extra Vacation days a year ... Try to negotiate that when you apply ... :auiqs.jpg:

What does any of that have to do with paying someone the same amount of money to work four days a week instead of five days a week?
I mean if you want to say that someone should pay you 52 extra Vacation days a year ... Try to negotiate that when you apply ... :auiqs.jpg:

I think many people would be willing to take less to only have to work 4 days. (depending on the hours worked)

Forum List

Back