UK Four Day Work Week Experiment: Can It Work Here?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I've been saying for a while that it is just a matter of time before we have a 35, or even a 30, hour work week.

While automation has eliminated a lot of jobs, it has greatly increased worker production.

We are manufacturing more stuff than ever, but using less workers to do it.

We are mining more stuff than ever, but using far less workers to do it.

We are producing more food than ever, but using less workers to do it. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution, 98 percent of Americans were in the agricultural sector. Today, we feed the world with just 2 percent of our labor force.

The UK recently performed an experiment where some companies reduced their work week to four days, while paying the workers the same salary.

It was a resounding success, and the companies involved plan on continuing the four day work week even though the experiment is over.

I think it is time we thing about doing the same thing here in the US.

I've been saying for a while that it is just a matter of time before we have a 35, or even a 30, hour work week.

While automation has eliminated a lot of jobs, it has greatly increased worker production.

We are producing more food than ever, but using less workers to do it. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution, 98 percent of Americans were in the agricultural sector. Today, we feed the world with just 2 percent of our labor force.

The UK recently performed an experiment where some companies reduced their work week to four days, while paying the workers the same salary.

It was a resounding success, and the companies involved plan on continuing the four day work week even though the experiment is over.

Yeah, Britstain really has a roaring economy...But even if the US had a 4 day work week, the government has to stop paying people not to work. You dont work, you dont get a dime of money, you work, you get to eat, you dont work, you starve. Simple as that.

Doesn't work in the trades. Most of us barely get away with 5 day weeks. Hard deadlines and seasonal weather conditions mean a construction site is busy just about every day of the week.
You could have one crew working Monday through Thursday, another crew working Tuesday through Friday.

Or some variation thereof.

You could have one crew working Monday through Thursday, another crew working Tuesday through Friday.

We need everyone everyday. I really don't mind working all those hours. The difference is that we are 100% productive every hour we are there. It's not like office workers who apparently waste a lot of time.

Double the crew size doubles the cost. Double insurance, double SS payments, double vacation time etc.

Double the crew size doubles the cost. Double insurance, double SS payments, double vacation time etc.
It could just mean that a five man crew is missing a man everyday. That would be an organizational pain in the ass.

NYC is basically on a 4 day work week and it's absolutely horrific for retail business. The food court at Grand Central Station is a ghost town. All the local businesses are closed.

Dang, aren't we already on the 80/20 rule. Where 20 percent of the people do 80 percent of the work.

Forum List

Back