UK firefighters vote to strike

It is part of their escape training.

One thing which is good is that the BBC is not expecting everyone to diss the strikers which has become how they like to act,. I found it interesting listening to something where there was a Tory Minister and three or 4 others. Another Tory had suggested the rail strikers were helping Putin win the war and the BBC was asking them if they thought that. He didn't but he could not stop himself from going on about how the rail strikers are going to ruin so many people's Christmas and after covid and everything. He said it was just ordinary people who the strikers hurt. Everyone else answered the question and said they did not think the rail strikers were going to make Putin win the Ukraine war and every one of the people apart from the Tory believed the Rail Strikers deserved a good deal (none of them mentioned that at worst some people might need to change the date of their travel but no one was going to miss Christmas.) What I am saying is that the country seems to be strongly supportive of people needing to strike at the moment.

Give them every penny they want.

My cousin's daughter is a firefighter somewhere around Swansea/Neath area.... She deserves it, it's a dangerous job, people die....

I knew one of these, four of them walked into a burning warehouse looking for people who might have been sleeping in there. There was nobody there, but they still died.

My cousin's daughter is a firefighter somewhere around Swansea/Neath area.... She deserves it, it's a dangerous job, people die....

I knew one of these, four of them walked into a burning warehouse looking for people who might have been sleeping in there. There was nobody there, but they still died.
How can you put a price on that. ? Our society undervalues the people who make it work. We need a reset.

How can you put a price on that. ? Our society undervalues the people who make it work. We need a reset.

Yes, they do. People are selfish, people want to make their money and don't really care about anything else.
Better than the US where selfishness is a total way of life, but still.

The biggest problem is there are more than enough people who want to be firefighters, even for the money they pay now. My friend was part time, he was hoping to be made full time but there wasn't the need. He was living with his brother, he ran down the stairs, threw off his slipper and ran out the door, and his brother never saw him again.

For sales people, their wage is based around how much they bring in for the company, for a lot of minimum wage job people it's based around the minimum wage. But what is a firefighter, a teacher, a doctor etc worth?

even then health and education are two of the biggest costs for the country. They are expensive, but can you put a price on good education, good healthcare, good services?

Yes, they do. People are selfish, people want to make their money and don't really care about anything else.
Better than the US where selfishness is a total way of life, but still.

The biggest problem is there are more than enough people who want to be firefighters, even for the money they pay now. My friend was part time, he was hoping to be made full time but there wasn't the need. He was living with his brother, he ran down the stairs, threw off his slipper and ran out the door, and his brother never saw him again.

For sales people, their wage is based around how much they bring in for the company, for a lot of minimum wage job people it's based around the minimum wage. But what is a firefighter, a teacher, a doctor etc worth?

even then health and education are two of the biggest costs for the country. They are expensive, but can you put a price on good education, good healthcare, good services?
I dont think the govt wants to put a price on it.

Take education. The economy will not grow withoutan educated woekforce. But edcation has been starved of funds for years.

My daughter trained to be a teacher. Her prospects were a series of temp contracts on low pay unless she wanted to work in a shithole.

As a side hustle she paid her way in Uni by fitting false eyelashes.
Incredibly she found that she could earn loads more doing that than teaching. That cant br tight.

I dont think the govt wants to put a price on it.

Take education. The economy will not grow withoutan educated woekforce. But edcation has been starved of funds for years.

My daughter trained to be a teacher. Her prospects were a series of temp contracts on low pay unless she wanted to work in a shithole.

As a side hustle she paid her way in Uni by fitting false eyelashes.
Incredibly she found that she could earn loads more doing that than teaching. That cant br tight.

Yeah, the Tories love doing that. Getting in power, reducing everything then getting kicked out of power once the country has fallen into a state of disrepair, then they wait until Labour's built everything up again, all the while complaining everything costs too much.

It makes one hanker for the time when most of the work of firemen can be done with robots so these people can be freed from having to do a job that makes them so unhappy.
I was reading today that 55% of British firefighters are volunteers. Like everyone else they deserve a good, liveable wage for their important work. Be careful what you wish for.

I was reading today that 55% of British firefighters are volunteers. Like everyone else they deserve a good, liveable wage for their important work. Be careful what you wish for.
Back in the glorious days of empire the fire brigades were owned by the insurance companies. They would not put out the fire until they checked your insurance.
Rather like American healthcare.

Did you read that on a T shirt or bumper sticker? Whenever labor costs are deemed to be too high, where possible, workers are replaced by automation, and with today's technology there will soon be very little a firefighter does that a robot will not be able to do more efficiently and cheaper. Salaries are and will be determined by cost competition in the marketplace. Firefighters who demand compensation in excess of what a robot would cost over time are a burden on taxpayers and will become unemployed. Time to move on from the 19th century.

Back in the glorious days of empire the fire brigades were owned by the insurance companies. They would not put out the fire until they checked your insurance.
Rather like American healthcare.
TBH at the time It did not look good. We should not be relying on 55% of our firefighters being volunteers. In fact that produces its own reason for strikes and that is especially true when it says as it did that the reason for them volunteering was because they wanted a paid job as a firefighter. These people are being used to save the Government from paying people to work and making it more difficult for those who are working to negotiate a decent salary. Then with toomuchtime's little contribution I discovered that I had made a mistake. Although I had searched about British firefighters it was articles on American firefighters which was returned to me. So it is in the US that they use volunteers rather than professionals. It is in the US that they are misusing their workers because it is in the US that workers get no support from the population as I have seen on this forum before and we see again here.

Did you read that on a T shirt or bumper sticker? Whenever labor costs are deemed to be too high, where possible, workers are replaced by automation, and with today's technology there will soon be very little a firefighter does that a robot will not be able to do more efficiently and cheaper. Salaries are and will be determined by cost competition in the marketplace. Firefighters who demand compensation in excess of what a robot would cost over time are a burden on taxpayers and will become unemployed. Time to move on from the 19th century.
I note your extreme right position and can see by it that Tommy was more than correct in comparing your previous opinion with Empire firefighters wanting to see a person's insurance before they came out.

Forum List

Back