U.S. Soldiers Punished For Not Attending Christian Concert

As far as Major General James E. Chambers is concerned, being in the U.S. Army also means being in God’s army too. For the past several years, Chambers, the born-again commander of first Fort Eustis and then Fort Lee in Virginia, has wanted his soldiers to attend a Spiritual Fitness Concert Series, which promotes Christianity, especially the evangelical variety. The events include readings from the Bible and rock music from bands like BarlowGirl, which believes in “an aggressive, almost warrior-like stance when it comes to spreading the gospel and serving God.”

Failure to attend the concert series has resulted in soldiers being punished. About 80 troops stationed at Fort Eustis opted not to go to this year’s May event and were put on lock-down, which meant being confined to their barracks and ordered to perform maintenance duties. Nine of the punished soldiers complained to superiors.
-Noel Brinkerhoff
AllGov - News - Soldiers Punished for Not Attending Christian Concert

My question is, "why is it a Christian concert'? Is being Christian now required in the military even in leisure time?

There have been entertainers of all sorts of faiths performing in USO shows, concerts, etc... just because an entertainer has a faith and may say a prayer while performing, is not a concern... nobody is forced into conversion or even forced to go to the event when they go thru the proper channels to be excused...

Jeez people :rolleyes:

As far as Major General James E. Chambers is concerned, being in the U.S. Army also means being in God’s army too. For the past several years, Chambers, the born-again commander of first Fort Eustis and then Fort Lee in Virginia, has wanted his soldiers to attend a Spiritual Fitness Concert Series, which promotes Christianity, especially the evangelical variety. The events include readings from the Bible and rock music from bands like BarlowGirl, which believes in “an aggressive, almost warrior-like stance when it comes to spreading the gospel and serving God.”

Failure to attend the concert series has resulted in soldiers being punished. About 80 troops stationed at Fort Eustis opted not to go to this year’s May event and were put on lock-down, which meant being confined to their barracks and ordered to perform maintenance duties. Nine of the punished soldiers complained to superiors.
-Noel Brinkerhoff

My question is, "why is it a Christian concert'? Is being Christian now required in the military even in leisure time?

There have been entertainers of all sorts of faiths performing in USO shows, concerts, etc... just because an entertainer has a faith and may say a prayer while performing, is not a concern... nobody is forced into conversion or even forced to go to the event when they go thru the proper channels to be excused...

Then why are the soldiers who don't want to go punished?

"Following the Apostle Paul’s message to the Ephesians in the Bible, Christian rock music’s edgy, all-girl band BarlowGirl brought the armor of God to the warriors and families of Fort Eustis during another installment of the Commanding General’s Spiritual Fitness Concert Series May 13 at Jacobs Theater.

With their unique heavy metal-alternative rock-contemporary Christian music blend, sisters Alyssa, Lauren and Rebecca Barlow rocked the full house of Soldiers and family members with selections from their latest project “Love & War” as well as other selections from earlier albums.

In her opening statement, Alyssa thanked the crowd not only for attending the concert but also for their service to the country.

“I love that you love something enough to put your life on the line for it,” she said. “You’ve chosen not to take a comfortable path, and God uses people like you to change the world.”

“We’ve travelled the world and we’ve seen Soldiers in every airport, and we cry because every day we hear about people who have given their life for love. Because of you saying ‘yes’ some of us get to have a beautiful life and if I could, I’d bring people here so that they can see what a beautiful life really is,” Alyssa told the crowd.

The trio believe they are sent to help arm today’s warriors for the battles ahead, both spiritual and physical, and they do so with songs like “Our Worlds Collide,” “Tears Fall,” “Running Out of Time,” and “Stay with Me.”

http://www.forteustiswheel.com/articles/2010/07/29/military_life/religious_activity/religious01.txt

Last edited:

-Noel Brinkerhoff

"Following the Apostle Paul’s message to the Ephesians in the Bible, Christian rock music’s edgy, all-girl band BarlowGirl brought the armor of God to the warriors and families of Fort Eustis during another installment of the Commanding General’s Spiritual Fitness Concert Series May 13 at Jacobs Theater.

With their unique heavy metal-alternative rock-contemporary Christian music blend, sisters Alyssa, Lauren and Rebecca Barlow rocked the full house of Soldiers and family members with selections from their latest project “Love & War” as well as other selections from earlier albums.

In her opening statement, Alyssa thanked the crowd not only for attending the concert but also for their service to the country.

“I love that you love something enough to put your life on the line for it,” she said. “You’ve chosen not to take a comfortable path, and God uses people like you to change the world.”

“We’ve travelled the world and we’ve seen Soldiers in every airport, and we cry because every day we hear about people who have given their life for love. Because of you saying ‘yes’ some of us get to have a beautiful life and if I could, I’d bring people here so that they can see what a beautiful life really is,” Alyssa told the crowd.

The trio believe they are sent to help arm today’s warriors for the battles ahead, both spiritual and physical, and they do so with songs like “Our Worlds Collide,” “Tears Fall,” “Running Out of Time,” and “Stay with Me.”

Jacobs Theater echoes with love, war during spiritual fitness concert

Jesus Christ you people are DENSE

The soldiers are not punished.. it is standard procedure for troops in training to have details, be in the barracks, etc... YOU DO NOT JUST GET TO ROAM FREE AND DO WHAT YOU WANT....

What are you going to call for next, getting rid of the Chaplains or chapels? Letting the soldiers in training run around as they please?

Last edited:

The soldiers are not punished.. it is standard procedure for troops in training to have details, be in the barracks, etc... YOU DO NOT JUST GET TO ROAM FREE AND DO WHAT YOU WANT....

do you mean to tell me that people in the military get ORDERED around?

:eek:

I know Del... the shock and horror of that thought... :eek: LMAO

• Thanks
Reactions: del

-Noel Brinkerhoff

You need to go back and read what so many of our veterans have said about this. It is a non-story.

If you want to go into the military and be ordered around it may save your life. It's not for me.

I've haven't liked working in places with a military style structure--such as bureaucracies.

If you want to go into the military and be ordered around it may save your life. It's not for me.

I've haven't liked working in places with a military style structure--such as bureaucracies.

I am a veteran, you imbecile.... And we would not like the likes of you in there... takes to much time to out-process pussies when they can't cut it

I am a veteran, you imbecile.... And we would not like the likes of you in there... takes to much time to out-process pussies when they can't cut it

Rude post. Do you teach you that in the military?

As Pvt. Anthony Smith remarked, "Instead of being released to our personal time, we were locked down. It seemed very much like a punishment." He and his fellow non-Christian soldiers (all enlisted men) were also forbidden to use their cell phones or personal computers.

The AP quotes spokesman Col. Thomas Collins as saying, "If something like that were to have happened, it would be contrary to Army policy." The Pentagon is said to be investigating the incident.

Aside from the command favoritism shown by penalizing soldiers who decline to be evangelized, this case raises the question of why the Army is hiring civilian bands in the first place. After all, they already have dozens of fulltime military bands waiting in the wings and staffed to the rafters.
Read more: Attend Christian Concert or Else - Page 2 - Blogcritics Music

Some can, some can't, some should, some shouldn't.
But those that do have to follow the rules. And in a training environment you belong to which ever Sergeant is present at the time. And you are right, it could save your life or those around you.

As Pvt. Anthony Smith remarked, "Instead of being released to our personal time, we were locked down. It seemed very much like a punishment." He and his fellow non-Christian soldiers (all enlisted men) were also forbidden to use their cell phones or personal computers.

The AP quotes spokesman Col. Thomas Collins as saying, "If something like that were to have happened, it would be contrary to Army policy." The Pentagon is said to be investigating the incident.

Aside from the command favoritism shown by penalizing soldiers who decline to be evangelized, this case raises the question of why the Army is hiring civilian bands in the first place. After all, they already have dozens of fulltime military bands waiting in the wings and staffed to the rafters.

For the last time. It wasn't punishment. And no one was forced to attend.

But those that do have to follow the rules. And in a training environment you belong to which ever Sergeant is present at the time. And you are right, it could save your life or those around you.

I see the point of learning to follow orders in the military. I don't want to work in a 'chain of command' environment.

For the last time. It wasn't punishment. And no one was forced to attend.
It is being investigated. We'll see what happens. It's true the commander is born again and sees his mission to provide soldiers with spiritual fitness--his kind.

Quoting BS from a blog quoting the complaining soldier... nice :rolleyes:

AGAIN... since you are so fucking dense....

YOU DO NOT GET JUST RELEASED FOR FREE TIME WHEN YOU WANT IT WHEN YOU ARE ON DUTY HOURS DURING TRAINING

I see the point of learning to follow orders in the military. I don't want to work in a 'chain of command' environment.

LOL.. good luck trying to find some kumbaya love employer... chain of command is everywhere in business, whether you like it or not

YOU DO NOT GET JUST RELEASED FOR FREE TIME WHEN YOU WANT IT WHEN YOU ARE ON DUTY HOURS DURING TRAINING

The Pentagon is investigating. We'll see what happens. Could be this commander is imposing his religion on others.

Pvt. Anthony Smith is the type of guy who stands up for what he believes in. That's why he decided to hold his commanding officers accountable for punishing him and fellow soldiers after they refused to attend an evangelical Christian rock concert at the Fort Eustis military post in Virginia.

After a day of training at Fort Eustis, Smith and other trainees were normally released to have personal time, but on May 13, Smith and dozens of others were "required" to march in formation to a concert headlined by an evangelical Christian rock band. Smith spent six months training at Fort Eustis before moving to Arizona to serve on active duty with the National Guard.

The group Smith marched with included at least two Muslim soldiers who fell out of rank and stopped marching on their own, according to a first-hand account published by the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF).
Smith turned to the MRFF, an organization that represents 19, 200 military personnel and veterans, according to founder Michael "Mikey" Weinstein.
Weinstein called Smith a hero for "breaking the silence barrier" and "speaking truth to power."
He said that Smith and the others who were pressured into attending the concert - and then punished if they chose otherwise - were "spiritually raped by their commanding officers." Weinstein, an Air Force Academy graduate, said that service members are supposed to defend the Constitution, which clearly establishes the separation of church and state.

Weinstein questioned what would have happened if Smith's commanding officer was a Muslim or atheist and demanded that his subordinates attend an Islamic or secular music event.
"He would have had his head cut off," Weinstein said.
Weinstein said that a majority of MRFF clients are Christians who are told that they are "not the right kind of Christian" while serving in the military

http://www.truth-out.org/troops-punished-after-refusing-attend-evangelical-concert62504

Last edited:

The Pentagon is investigating. We'll see what happens. Could be this commander is imposing his religion on others.

Pvt. Anthony Smith is the type of guy who stands up for what he believes in. That's why he decided to hold his commanding officers accountable for punishing him and fellow soldiers after they refused to attend an evangelical Christian rock concert at the Fort Eustis military post in Virginia.

After a day of training at Fort Eustis, Smith and other trainees were normally released to have personal time, but on May 13, Smith and dozens of others were "required" to march in formation to a concert headlined by an evangelical Christian rock band. Smith spent six months training at Fort Eustis before moving to Arizona to serve on active duty with the National Guard.

The group Smith marched with included at least two Muslim soldiers who fell out of rank and stopped marching on their own, according to a first-hand account published by the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF).
Smith turned to the MRFF, an organization that represents 19, 200 military personnel and veterans, according to founder Michael "Mikey" Weinstein.
Weinstein called Smith a hero for "breaking the silence barrier" and "speaking truth to power."
He said that Smith and the others who were pressured into attending the concert - and then punished if they chose otherwise - were "spiritually raped by their commanding officers." Weinstein, an Air Force Academy graduate, said that service members are supposed to defend the Constitution, which clearly establishes the separation of church and state.

Weinstein questioned what would have happened if Smith's commanding officer was a Muslim or atheist and demanded that his subordinates attend an Islamic or secular music event.
Weinstein said that a majority of MRFF clients are Christians who are told that they are "not the right kind of Christian" while serving in the military

t r u t h o u t | Troops Punished After Refusing to Attend Evangelical Concert

And now you're linking winger sites as backing you up?? And *gasp* the MRFF has an officer and it happens to be the motherfucking reporter who is interjecting all his opinions into the piece (Yes, Chris Rodda is the original writer of the bullshit that puts agenda on top of the case information)

Give it up

Last edited:

t r u t h o u t | Troops Punished After Refusing to Attend Evangelical Concert

And now you're linking winger sites as backing you up?? And *gasp* the MRFF has an officer and it happens to be the motherfucking reporter who is interjecting all his opinions into the piece (Yes, Chris Rodda is the original writer of the bullshit that puts agenda on top of the case information)

Give it up

Bottom line. The Pentagon is investigating. I'm glad. Let them get to the truth.

Forum List

Back