U.S. Soldier, Citing His Muslim Religion, Seeks Conscientious Objector Status

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
Yay or Nay? Is Islam a religion of peace, and thus grounds for conscientious objector status? Or, is this young man attempting to use that because a change of heart?

And, is there a problem, generally, for (devout)Muslims in the military? Do they suffer too much social ostracization to be an effective part of the U.S. Military? And, can they truly be loyal to our nation, even to the point of fighting against fellow Muslims?

FOXNews.com - U.S. Soldier, Citing His Muslim Religion, Seeks Conscientious Objector Status

A Muslim soldier from Texas who joined the U.S. Army last year now wants to leave the military, claiming he is a conscientious objector whose devotion to Islam has suffered since he took an oath to defend the United States against all enemies.

Pfc. Naser Abdo, a 20-year-old infantryman assigned to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Ky., filed for conscientious objector status in June because his faith and the military simply don't mix, he told FoxNews.com. The Army has deferred his scheduled deployment to Afghanistan.

"Islam is a peaceful religion, it's not a religion of warfare," Abdo said. "And it's not a religion of terror. As a Muslim, we stand against injustice, we stand against discrimination, and I feel it's my duty as an individual to do this."

Abdo, the Texas-born son of a Muslim father and a Christian mother, said his relatives and wife stand by his decision and that he will likely refuse to deploy if his application for CO status is denied.

I'm wondering why he enlisted in the first place.

Good question. Perhaps like many young people, he thought it a good way to pay for college. It sounds, though, like he's suffered some harassment. Plus, since that time since the shootings at that military base, there may be more suspicion of practicing Muslims.

He can still do things as a conscientious objector. A conscientious objector who was in WWII won the Medal of Honor. He's made a commitment and should stick with it.

Yay or Nay? Is Islam a religion of peace, and thus grounds for conscientious objector status? Or, is this young man attempting to use that because a change of heart?

And, is there a problem, generally, for (devout)Muslims in the military? Do they suffer too much social ostracization to be an effective part of the U.S. Military? And, can they truly be loyal to our nation, even to the point of fighting against fellow Muslims?

FOXNews.com - U.S. Soldier, Citing His Muslim Religion, Seeks Conscientious Objector Status

A Muslim soldier from Texas who joined the U.S. Army last year now wants to leave the military, claiming he is a conscientious objector whose devotion to Islam has suffered since he took an oath to defend the United States against all enemies.

Pfc. Naser Abdo, a 20-year-old infantryman assigned to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Ky., filed for conscientious objector status in June because his faith and the military simply don't mix, he told FoxNews.com. The Army has deferred his scheduled deployment to Afghanistan.

"Islam is a peaceful religion, it's not a religion of warfare," Abdo said. "And it's not a religion of terror. As a Muslim, we stand against injustice, we stand against discrimination, and I feel it's my duty as an individual to do this."

Abdo, the Texas-born son of a Muslim father and a Christian mother, said his relatives and wife stand by his decision and that he will likely refuse to deploy if his application for CO status is denied.

Peaceful religion my ass!

Christianity isn't strictly a 'religion of peace', yet Christian believers are able to claim CO status, based on their religious beliefs.

Did it not occur to him that joining the Army (now) would have him engaging in warfare at some point?

Christianity isn't strictly a 'religion of peace', yet Christian believers are able to claim CO status, based on their religious beliefs.

Good point but I was talking about Islam the religion of pure unadulterated hatred. Tell Daniel Pearl's family that Islam is a religion of peace and see if they'll believe it. I sure as hell don't. And when Christians start beheading folks, highjacking planes and flying them into buildings, strapping suicide vest to themselves and blowing up innocent people then they can start on how eveil Christianitiy is. Fact is one would have to go pretty far back in history to show the amount of violence from Christians that you now see from the peace loving islamafucks! I think only an idiot would join a military outfit then claim CO status, I think the fuckers that do that should be put in the brig for the remainder of their service. IMHO

Of course he can. Look people interpret regions in different ways. Most Muslims do in fact Internet Islam to be a religion of Peace that would never condone violence.

This guy has just as much right as anyone else to object to killing on moral grounds.

Plain and simple.

That said I myself have a problem with anyone who volunteered being able to do this. What you have is people trying to get the education and benefits of serving with out having to actually go to war. If you object DO NOT join in the first place.

I mean we are not talking about conscripts here these people all joined on their own accord.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Its a guy who wanted free college and now is deathly afraid, as any rational person would be, to fight in Afghanistan.

However, the religion argument is a bullshit excuse and the army should court marshall him. He knew his religious belief before enlisting and now must suck it up.

And religion of peace my ass. The reason Islam is suck a while practiced religion is because it was spread by the sword. Mohammad started the Muslim Crusades/Caphilates and his followers kept them going. The Crusaders captured North Africa, the entire middle east, Persia, Turkey, into the Balakans, Afghanistan, Pakistan, into India and even into Portugal and Spain, finally getting stopped by the Franks! They went on this military campaign to spread the Islamic kingdom. They slaughtered many and forced many to convert. They displaced many native peoples, like Egyptians and North African Black tribesman with Arabs from the Arabian Penisula. Right now many many Muslims call for Jihad, in Europe as a whole they disproportionately commit crimes and violent acts. By promoting Sharia law they can't even try to claim to be a peaceful religion!

The religion of peace things is beyond bullshit!

Of course he can. Look people interpret regions in different ways. Most Muslims do in fact Internet Islam to be a religion of Peace that would never condone violence.

This guy has just as much right as anyone else to object to killing on moral grounds.

Plain and simple.

That said I myself have a problem with anyone who volunteered being able to do this. What you have is people trying to get the education and benefits of serving with out having to actually go to war. If you object DO NOT join in the first place.

I mean we are not talking about conscripts here these people all joined on their own accord.
And that is exactly why he should be chaptered out on a less than honorable and sent packing.

The taxpayers paid big bucks to train, house, and feed the lil' fuck. He knew what the job entailed when he decided to raise that hand and volunteer. It was no doubt fully explained that no matter what your military occupation is, there may come a time when you have to pick up that weapon and use it. May have to blow somebody's brains out whether you want to or not in order to survive, and secure the survival of your brothers and sisters in arms......That lil' fuck should be tossed forthwit, and fully billed for all taxpayer monies used to train, house, and feed his sorry ass.

Forum List

Back