U.S. Marines To Investigate Video of Soldiers Urinating on Corpses

Are you trying somehow to defend this behavior? Indefensible.

No.... I am defending the Marines!

THEY ARE NOT MONSTERS!

Plus... I am not going to judge these guys for their actions. This is nothing compared to what they have seen the ENEMY do to their friends and fellow Marines.

So yes.... they were wrong for doing it, but SO THE FUCK WHAT!

I was with you til that last line.

Sorry... I am just not as outraged about it as some folks.

I wouldnt have done it. I think its stupid and frankly disgusting.

No.... I am defending the Marines!

THEY ARE NOT MONSTERS!

Plus... I am not going to judge these guys for their actions. This is nothing compared to what they have seen the ENEMY do to their friends and fellow Marines.

So yes.... they were wrong for doing it, but SO THE FUCK WHAT!

We have been at war with the Taliban for 10 years, so many Soldiers and Marines keep going back on multiple deployments over there, the lines are starting to get blurred. This is the longest war in our history, and unlike Vietnam you don't just get to go once or maybe twice, alot of these guys have been to Iraq and Afghanistan 4, 5, 6 times! This takes a toll on you after a while, you start to dehumanize the enemy, for these young men it is acceptable for them to disembowel the Talib's in combat or blow their fucking heads open like a melon from 200 yards with a sniper rifle, but pissing is a no no, very thin line there. I'm not saying I agree with or condone what they did, I can understand why though.

We have been at war with the Taliban for 10 years, so many Soldiers and Marines keep going back on multiple deployments over there, the lines are starting to get blurred. This is the longest war in our history, and unlike Vietnam you don't just get to go once or maybe twice, alot of these guys have been to Iraq and Afghanistan 4, 5, 6 times! This takes a toll on you after a while, you start to dehumanize the enemy, for these young men it is acceptable for them to disembowel the Talib's in combat or blow their fucking heads open like a melon from 200 yards with a sniper rifle, but pissing is a no no, very thin line there. I'm not saying I agree with or condone what they did, I can understand why though.

I don't know, HG. On the one hand, in the old days, if I had drawn up charges on every man who did something in the heat of the moment that I or someone else might find disgusting, well I'd have been sending a goodly portion of my guys off to the Long Binh Jail. On the other hand, you can't simply blow this kind of stuff off, either, or it's likely to escalate; I saw that, in some units. I don't recall the pissing thing ever being an issue, but turn a blind eye toward some things just a little worse, and the next thing you know, you have someone abusing civilians, or worse. There HAVE to be limits. That said, when a man begins acting uncharacteristically brutal or nasty, that's often a sign of someone who has reached the end of his tether and is about to snap; seen that too many times, unfortunately.

The real question here, is how culpable these Marines are for their actions; we don't have all the answers, but hopefully an investigation and a General Court will carefully look into that, instead of having a knee-jerk reaction to simply make an example of them. I'll tell you this; just from what I have seen anecdotally with some who have been on five or six combat deployments in the Sandbox, I am getting seriously concerned about the long-term psychological effects on these personnel.

The problem, in my humble estimation, is the "winning hearts and minds" portion of these military actions. We've been there ten years and still haven't done it, and we can be there for the next hundred and probably still won't. Regardless of which side is right or wrong, if a foreign force comes to your country uninvited and blows away your brother, you will never win his heart and/or mind.

The tragedy is that old men in Washington are sending young men to Afghanistan on this fool's errand because the old men want to be able to achieve a military objective but still have everyone like them. You know what? Fuck that. Our stance should be: your country attacks us, we're going to come and turn it into a smouldering crater, and then it's gonna be up to you to decide whether it's worth it to try again or not, because you damn well know we're going to destroy your country again and again, every time you choose to come at us. You don't like it? Tough titties, because we don't care. Just leave us the fuck alone.

I know the military has certain standards of conduct that they must uphold for reasons of good order and discipline, but I'm sick to fucking death of seeing kids fresh out of high school coming back in pieces, in body bags, or as mental cases and nobody gives a shit about it, but yet when a few of them get together and take a piss on the scum of the earth, every damn politician in DC races to a mic to apologize and try to suck dick in order to appease people that already fucking hate us. And by the way, fuck off Karzai. If it wasn't for us knocking over the Taliban, you'd still be fucking goats off in the mountains somewhere, so your opinion is worthless.

Dammit, I wish there was someone in charge in DC who had a pair of balls.

I don't know, HG. On the one hand, in the old days, if I had drawn up charges on every man who did something in the heat of the moment that I or someone else might find disgusting, well I'd have been sending a goodly portion of my guys off to the Long Binh Jail. On the other hand, you can't simply blow this kind of stuff off, either, or it's likely to escalate; I saw that, in some units. I don't recall the pissing thing ever being an issue, but turn a blind eye toward some things just a little worse, and the next thing you know, you have someone abusing civilians, or worse. There HAVE to be limits. That said, when a man begins acting uncharacteristically brutal or nasty, that's often a sign of someone who has reached the end of his tether and is about to snap; seen that too many times, unfortunately.

The real question here, is how culpable these Marines are for their actions; we don't have all the answers, but hopefully an investigation and a General Court will carefully look into that, instead of having a knee-jerk reaction to simply make an example of them. I'll tell you this; just from what I have seen anecdotally with some who have been on five or six combat deployments in the Sandbox, I am getting seriously concerned about the long-term psychological effects on these personnel.

I think they do need to be punished, I'm not condoning what they did but at the same time I don't think they should get dishonorable discharges either. I am curious to know the ranks of these Marines and how many deployment's they have been on, that will tell us alot right there.

The problem, in my humble estimation, is the "winning hearts and minds" portion of these military actions. We've been there ten years and still haven't done it, and we can be there for the next hundred and probably still won't. Regardless of which side is right or wrong, if a foreign force comes to your country uninvited and blows away your brother, you will never win his heart and/or mind.

The tragedy is that old men in Washington are sending young men to Afghanistan on this fool's errand because the old men want to be able to achieve a military objective but still have everyone like them. You know what? Fuck that. Our stance should be: your country attacks us, we're going to come and turn it into a smouldering crater, and then it's gonna be up to you to decide whether it's worth it to try again or not, because you damn well know we're going to destroy your country again and again, every time you choose to come at us. You don't like it? Tough titties, because we don't care. Just leave us the fuck alone.

I know the military has certain standards of conduct that they must uphold for reasons of good order and discipline, but I'm sick to fucking death of seeing kids fresh out of high school coming back in pieces, in body bags, or as mental cases and nobody gives a shit about it, but yet when a few of them get together and take a piss on the scum of the earth, every damn politician in DC races to a mic to apologize and try to suck dick in order to appease people that already fucking hate us. And by the way, fuck off Karzai. If it wasn't for us knocking over the Taliban, you'd still be fucking goats off in the mountains somewhere, so your opinion is worthless.

I agree with you 100% bro, the nation building part of this war and the "hearts and minds" thing is a fucking disaster, Afghanistan is almost like a different planet when you compare it to America, the Afghans for the most part are a backwards primitive people dominated by Islam, its all they want and know, and most of the people there are illiterare and live in mud huts. Not just that, but they would prefer to stay that way, how is a 20 year old Marine from Tampa Bay supposed to go over there and relate to these people? most of the people in combat in Afghanistan are young Americans and for most of them going to Afghanistan is their first visit to a country outside the US, there is no way a young American to going to be able to get through to an Afghan and even understand that culture, its just time to bring our men and women home, its time.

That's some real shit right there Gadly, especially the last part. When this is all said and done and our men and women come home, we are going to be in unchartered territory dealing with Troops who have to come face to face with psychological terrors from 5 or 6 combat deployments, that is something we have never seen before, even in Vietnam.

I agree with you 100% bro, the nation building part of this war and the "hearts and minds" thing is a fucking disaster, Afghanistan is almost like a different planet when you compare it to America, the Afghans for the most part are a backwards primitive people dominated by Islam, its all they want and know, and most of the people there are illiterare and live in mud huts. Not just that, but they would prefer to stay that way, how is a 20 year old Marine from Tampa Bay supposed to go over there and relate to these people? most of the people in combat in Afghanistan are young Americans and for most of them going to Afghanistan is their first visit to a country outside the US, there is no way a young American to going to be able to get through to an Afghan and even understand that culture, its just time to bring our men and women home, its time.
That's the thing that kills me -- they've been blowing each other up since before the idea of an independent state in North America was even a wet dream. To think that we're going to put a stop to all that noise is utterly ridiculous. Let 'em go back to killing each other. Not one drop of American blood should be spilled on it. We should have sent about two dozen B-52's over there with a full compliment of dumb bombs in the middle of the night and carpet bombed their shit and said, "Okay folks, you figure it out now. But remember, come at us again, and there's plenty more whup-ass where that came from." And if they want help sorting it out, they can petition the UN to send over some bureaucrats or whatever. And if they don't, they can go right on back to the Middle Ages, living in mud huts without a pot to piss in and playing Hatfields and McCoys and sending each other to Allah instead of building infrastructure and putting together a real country. Pigs wallow in shit because they like it, so just leave them to it.

But no, every swinging dick in Washington thinks we have to "win their hearts and minds" by playing nice with them. Except that none of them have any skin in the game. Convenient, ain't it?

That's the thing that kills me -- they've been blowing each other up since before the idea of an independent state in North America was even a wet dream. To think that we're going to put a stop to all that noise is utterly ridiculous. Let 'em go back to killing each other. Not one drop of American blood should be spilled on it. We should have sent about two dozen B-52's over there with a full compliment of dumb bombs in the middle of the night and carpet bombed their shit and said, "Okay folks, you figure it out now. But remember, come at us again, and there's plenty more whup-ass where that came from." And if they want help sorting it out, they can petition the UN to send over some bureaucrats or whatever. And if they don't, they can go right on back to the Middle Ages, living in mud huts without a pot to piss in and playing Hatfields and McCoys and sending each other to Allah instead of building infrastructure and putting together a real country. Pigs wallow in shit because they like it, so just leave them to it.

But no, every swinging dick in Washington thinks we have to "win their hearts and minds" by playing nice with them. Except that none of them have any skin in the game. Convenient, ain't it?

Winning "hearts and minds" sounds nice when you are sitting in a nice comfortable air conditioned office in Washington DC, but when you are a young American having to leave your family behind to deploy to these shit holes, not so much.

Anybody who doesn't think that these guys are douches are douches. The American military is something that others should look up to, not down at..

I don't think these guys are douches, I FUCKING KNOW IT!!!!

Which is why I want them to face a courts martial and get the fuck out of my military.

May we assume that you're willing to take their place?

I've already served 20 years in the U.S. Navy and have been in 4 war zones, starting with Beruit in 1983. I retired in 2002.

Like I said, they are re-trained on the Code of Conduct for the U.S. Military annually, and apparently forgot their military bearing.

:iagree: with both of you guys

I always thought the military was there to break stuff and kill people
:confused:

I always thought the military was there to break stuff and kill people
:confused:

Not anymore, now Washington wants our men and women to be social workers and baby sitters in Afghanistan.:evil:

For me, it's not a question of anything other than they violated the Geneva Conventions (desecration of a corpse in combat) as well as have violated the Marine code of good order and discipline.

Like I said, have a General Courts Martial, check all the evidence and see what happened. If it was stress induced from multiple deployments, treat 'em and kick 'em out.

If they did it just because they thought it was cool? Give 'em brig time and a BCD.

Either way, they violated the Geneva Conventions and the Marine code of good order and discipline.

For me, it's not a question of anything other than they violated the Geneva Conventions (desecration of a corpse in combat) as well as have violated the Marine code of good order and discipline.

Like I said, have a General Courts Martial, check all the evidence and see what happened. If it was stress induced from multiple deployments, treat 'em and kick 'em out.

If they did it just because they thought it was cool? Give 'em brig time and a BCD.

Either way, they violated the Geneva Conventions and the Marine code of good order and discipline.

You are correct.

I still dont like the fact that it is being made into such a shit storm.

The guys were silly for video taping their silliness though.

Its a shame this will be reflected on all of them though.
Our soldiers are the best of the best regardless of what some may think.

That's some real shit right there Gadly, especially the last part. When this is all said and done and our men and women come home, we are going to be in unchartered territory dealing with Troops who have to come face to face with psychological terrors from 5 or 6 combat deployments, that is something we have never seen before, even in Vietnam.

yep, our men and women are coming home with broken bodies and broken minds. Their care and treatment must be high on the list of national prioities.

You are correct.

I still dont like the fact that it is being made into such a shit storm.

The guys were silly for video taping their silliness though.

Its a shame this will be reflected on all of them though.
Our soldiers are the best of the best regardless of what some may think.

I agree. This incident is an anomaly and very regretable. Our military branches are the best in the world's history and the Marine Corps will survive. There will be many months of pain and knashing of teeth though until this thing blows over.

"The humanity that goes into war" - Rumsfeld

This is more evidence of what effects this continual warfare is having on our troops. The suicides, the post traumatic stress, and the pressures on the family life. I wonder who the troops support as their commander and chief? :eusa_whistle:

What is a commander and chief?
signing-the-treaty-with-the-indians.jpg

yep, our men and women are coming home with broken bodies and broken minds. Their care and treatment must be high on the list of national prioities.

It better be, but I have a feeling the VA is not going to be ready to deal with this.

Forum List

Back