U.S. economy adds 255,000 jobs in July

A sizable number of our 20 million college students are voluntarily not participating in the workforce these days. I and my fellow students worked our way through college while the trend today is to borrow the money instead.

We were included when calculating the labor participation rate. Today's voluntarily non-working students are not. Also, many of us who were alert and aware during the '80s laid the foundation for our financial futures and have retired younger than our parents did. I retired in my mid-fifties and was counted as a non-participant based only my age, not the reason why I wasn't working.

Comparing the raw, unadjusted numbers to earlier times misrepresents the real picture.
I love in Nassau County and I see college kids scrambling all over for a summer job.
The malls are packed with them.

College kids should only be doing that in May and June not August unless they retarded
They look in May and June and work will school starts.
Sometimes they can't get something immediately and wind up looking even in July.
They'd rather work a little than not at all.

If they are not working July it's no point in looking

The Labor Participation Rate is the number of people age 16 or older who are either working or looking for work, divided by the total number of people in that same age group.

Today's indebted students are not working not looking for work, by choice. After I retired younger than my predecessors, I was neither working nor looking for work, voluntarily. The more there are of us who choose to be excluded from labor participation, the lower the LPR number. This suggests inaccurately that we were previously unemployed and have given up. It's a meaningless statistic because it doesn't take into account why people aren't participating.

Who would give up looking for work? someone retarded?
When the search becomes more expensive than the eventual pay checks.

More expensive?

A sizable number of our 20 million college students are voluntarily not participating in the workforce these days. I and my fellow students worked our way through college while the trend today is to borrow the money instead.

We were included when calculating the labor participation rate. Today's voluntarily non-working students are not. Also, many of us who were alert and aware during the '80s laid the foundation for our financial futures and have retired younger than our parents did. I retired in my mid-fifties and was counted as a non-participant based only my age, not the reason why I wasn't working.

Comparing the raw, unadjusted numbers to earlier times misrepresents the real picture.
I love in Nassau County and I see college kids scrambling all over for a summer job.

College kids should only be doing that in May and June not August unless they retarded
Sometimes they can't get something immediately and wind up looking even in July.

Unless your parents are on your back.

The Labor Participation Rate is the number of people age 16 or older who are either working or looking for work, divided by the total number of people in that same age group.

Today's indebted students are not working not looking for work, by choice. After I retired younger than my predecessors, I was neither working nor looking for work, voluntarily. The more there are of us who choose to be excluded from labor participation, the lower the LPR number. This suggests inaccurately that we were previously unemployed and have given up. It's a meaningless statistic because it doesn't take into account why people aren't participating.

More expensive?
Some kids can't afford to keep taking buses to interviews.

Normal parents know u are still in school and won't make a big deal out of it

More expensive?
Some kids can't afford to keep taking buses to interviews.

I was referring to people out of college who gave up looking.

Not if the parents are strapped for cash.
Do you live in a vacuum?

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that 94,333,000 Americans were neither
employed nor had made an effort to find work in July — down 184,000 compared
to the month prior.

Looking at the picture, it's not exactly 'equally proportionate' is it...?

Thank you, I wish people stop posting that nonsense about how many jobs were added

Cause everything is awful...according to Comrade trump, that is.

Actually things are awful in his campaign. The GOP is about to pull money from him....COOL!

Not if the parents are strapped for cash.
Do you live in a vacuum?

You do know that it's hard for college students to get summer jobs right since the employer knows they are leaving?

You get summer jobs through connections not by applying

most of the reason China and India's economies are growing as fast as they're is because of INFRASTRUCTURE.

And to a lesser extent they're becoming leaders in tech and science.

Maybe we should observe them and learn how to grow at a faster rate?

Another way we can increase our growth is
1. Is to tax any big corporate sky high to bring shit into our country. They should have to build in America to enjoy our market.
2. Enforce our anti-trust laws that stop huge corporations from buying out their competition everytime they pop up. The tax system should favor competition! The more middle class people that can get into the game = the stronger our economy will be.

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
to the month prior.

Thank you, I wish people stop posting that nonsense about how many jobs were added
I'm still not getting what the picture is supposed to demonstrate.

That those numbers about new jobs being added is BULL SHIT
How does it do that?

Most people stop looking because they no longer want or can no longer accept a job. But some, around half a million, say they stopped looking because they didn't think they'd find one due to lack of skills/experience/education or discrimination or just no jobs in their community.

Most people stop looking because they no longer want or can no longer accept a job. But some, around half a million, say they stopped looking because they didn't think they'd find one due to lack of skills/experience/education or discrimination or just no jobs in their community.

How can you stop looking if you plan on eating everyday?

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
to the month prior.

How does it do that?

Because there are still Millions of people looking for work who are no longer counted since there are no more extensions

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
to the month prior.

How does it do that?

Because there are still Millions of people looking for work who are no longer counted since there are no more extensions
No there aren't. If you are looking for work and could accept a job if offered you are classified as unemployed. Unemployment benefits have nothing to do with it. The 94 million figure are those not working or looking for work.

How does it do that?

No there aren't. If you are looking for work and could accept a job if offered you are classified as unemployed. Unemployment benefits have nothing to do with it. The 94 million figure are those not working or looking for work.

So the total of jobs added in July is supposed to mean what?

One serious problem job seekers face is being unqualified for the vacancies. This year an average of 30 people apply for every vacancy, and 4 out of 5 of them aren't qualified to fill it.

We're not short of job opportunities. We're short of qualified applicants.

One serious problem job seekers face is being unqualified for the vacancies. This year an average of 30 people apply for every vacancy, and 4 out of 5 of them aren't qualified to fill it.

We're not short of job opportunities. We're short of qualified applicants.

And why do people do that retarded shit? What is it going to accomplish besides not being called back?

I applied to 5 jobs a week when I was unemployed not 60

Forum List

Back