U.S. economy adds 255,000 jobs in July

R

rdean

Strong: U.S. economy adds 255,000 jobs in July

The U.S. economy added 255,000 jobs in July and the unemployment rate remained at 4.9%. It far surpassed expectations of economists surveyed by CNNMoney, who had predicted a gain of 182,000 jobs.

So far this year, America has added about 1.3 million jobs. That's a healthy improvement but still a slightly slower pace than last year, when it had gained about 1.6 million jobs by this point. Job gains for May and June were revised up a bit too.

Spring slump: U.S. economy only grows 1.2%

Experts say the decline in business spending is mostly attributable to energy and manufacturing companies cutting back because of low oil prices. Federal government spending also declined in the second quarter.

"Inventories have subtracted from economic growth...that's probably run its course now," says Lake, the economist. "You're looking at a much stronger second half of the year than first half of the year."

------------------------------------

It's important to look at "reasons". With inventories being used up, it takes pressure off manufacturing. Because those inventories need to be replaced.

A good sign. Weakness in other areas though keeps the cork in the champagne bottles.

"The headline unemployment rate held steady at 4.9 percent, though a more encompassing measure that includes those not actively looking for work and those working part-time for economic reasons moved up a notch to 9.7 percent."

94.3 million not in the labor force and not counted by the Obama administration when calculating unemployment.

Some good news here, but not as much as Barry / Libs claim.

Black Unemployment Rises, More than Double White Unemployment Rate - Breitbart

"While the unemployment rate dropped across the major demographic groups last month, African American unemployment jumped to more than double the white unemployment rate and nearly twice the national unemployment rate, according to new jobs data released Friday."

Obama has been creating all kinds of opportunities for illegals and 'refugees'...but none for blacks. Interesting fact for the 1st black President.

BLOWOUT! July jobs report demolishes expectations

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that 94,333,000 Americans were neither
employed nor had made an effort to find work in July — down 184,000 compared
to the month prior.

Looking at the picture, it's not exactly 'equally proportionate' is it...?

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
to the month prior.

What does the caption have to do with the picture? Those in an unemployment line would not be among the 94 million not in the labor force

Only a complete loser would stand a line of unemployed people. When I was unemployed I didn;t want to be nowhere near other unemployed people

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
to the month prior.

Thank you, I wish people stop posting that nonsense about how many jobs were added

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
to the month prior.

Thank you, I wish people stop posting that nonsense about how many jobs were added
I'm still not getting what the picture is supposed to demonstrate.

A sizable number of our 20 million college students are voluntarily not participating in the workforce these days. I and my fellow students worked our way through college while the trend today is to borrow the money instead.

We were included when calculating the labor participation rate. Today's voluntarily non-working students are not. Also, many of us who were alert and aware during the '80s laid the foundation for our financial futures and have retired younger than our parents did. I retired in my mid-fifties and was counted as a non-participant based only my age, not the reason why I wasn't working.

Comparing the raw, unadjusted numbers to earlier times misrepresents the real picture.

A sizable number of our 20 million college students are voluntarily not participating in the workforce these days. I and my fellow students worked our way through college while the trend today is to borrow the money instead.

We were included when calculating the labor participation rate. Today's voluntarily non-working students are not. Also, many of us who were alert and aware during the '80s laid the foundation for our financial futures and have retired younger than our parents did. I retired in my mid-fifties and was counted as a non-participant based only my age, not the reason why I wasn't working.

Comparing the raw, unadjusted numbers to earlier times misrepresents the real picture.
Ummmm you were not counted as a non participant based on your age. You would be classified as a non participant if you did not work and either could not work or weren't looking for work.

I love in Nassau County and I see college kids scrambling all over for a summer job.
The malls are packed with them.

The Labor Participation Rate is the number of people age 16 or older who are either working or looking for work, divided by the total number of people in that same age group.

Today's indebted students are not working not looking for work, by choice. After I retired younger than my predecessors, I was neither working nor looking for work, voluntarily. The more there are of us who choose to be excluded from labor participation, the lower the LPR number. This suggests inaccurately that we were previously unemployed and have given up. It's a meaningless statistic because it doesn't take into account why people aren't participating.

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE:
to the month prior.

I'm still not getting what the picture is supposed to demonstrate.

That those numbers about new jobs being added is BULL SHIT

I love in Nassau County and I see college kids scrambling all over for a summer job.

College kids should only be doing that in May and June not August unless they retarded

College kids should only be doing that in May and June not August unless they retarded
They look in May and June and work will school starts.
Sometimes they can't get something immediately and wind up looking even in July.
They'd rather work a little than not at all.

The Labor Participation Rate is the number of people age 16 or older who are either working or looking for work, divided by the total number of people in that same age group.

Today's indebted students are not working not looking for work, by choice. After I retired younger than my predecessors, I was neither working nor looking for work, voluntarily. The more there are of us who choose to be excluded from labor participation, the lower the LPR number. This suggests inaccurately that we were previously unemployed and have given up. It's a meaningless statistic because it doesn't take into account why people aren't participating.

Who would give up looking for work? someone retarded?

Who would give up looking for work? someone retarded?
When the search becomes more expensive than the eventual pay checks.

Forum List

Back