Typical NYT Spin

Sure, did you?

$40,000 was from Citibank.

Federal Loans = Public Funds

Ok, you're right.

$40,000 from Citibank
$20,000 from Sallie Mae

and the difference from Federal loans.

Are you saying that the government should have control over what you go to school for, if you accept government loans?

Just pay them back and quit crying.... thats all most of us would expect her to do.

It was hard to do, but I payed all of mine off.

So that gives you reason to attack her?

What the fuck is the big deal? What did this poor girl do to you guys, that you're so pissed at her?

Are you serious?

How about you help her pay for it.

Oh, I almost forgot (NOT) you libz only like to spend others money, not your own.

So you hate her because she's having a hard time paying her loans? Very compassionate of you.

NO.... I'M SICK OF PEOPLE CRYING B/C THEY TOOK ON MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW, then whine about it when they cant swallow it!

This is what got us into the mess we are currently in.

When I lost my job last Aug I called the banks and ask for an extension, and they gave it to me b/c I have always payed my loans back and they knew I was good for it. I didnt just sit and cry about it.... I also had to trim down any waste I had, in order to make ends meet.
Didnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what I needed to do.

You have an excellent point, Samson. But I can't help pointing out that a degree in women's studies is inherently useless for any employment apart from becoming a professor of women's studies so more unemployable people can be drug through this hedge backwards. Colleges and universities should either close some departments or accept only trust fund babies as students within them.

And yes, it is predatory to loan a chicklet $50,000 against a degree she will derive not one slim dime of paycheck from. These goddamned banks need to start asking more questions.

Well, the whole point is that she didn't borrow public funds. She borrowed private funds. Did you even read the article?

Sure, did you?

The balance on Cortney Munna’s loans is about $97,000, including all of her federal loans and her private debt from Sallie Mae and Citibank.

Ok, you're right.

$40,000 from Citibank
$20,000 from Sallie Mae

Are you saying that the government should have control over what you go to school for, if you accept government loans?

The government cannot account for $750B in stimulous money, so taking them to task for being accountable for $40,000 is a little silly.

But, so is the NYT for not simply recognising this story for what it is: Failure of Personal Responsibility. Instead, the paper makes the point that somehow the University vet-out students who make stupid choices, and Citi, a bank, shouldn't make student loans.

Ok, you're right.

$40,000 from Citibank
$20,000 from Sallie Mae

Just pay them back and quit crying.... thats all most of us would expect her to do.

It was hard to do, but I payed all of mine off.

So that gives you reason to attack her?

YEAH..... FUCK THAT BITCH!

Does that make you feel better.... the evil conservative hates her.

Oh boo-fukin-hoo!

The university and the bank come in for their share of the blame IMO. And BTW, it was courageous of the NYT to criticize NYU. That school is the gold standard to most folks.

All good things happen first in New York....♥

"attack".....:lol:

PEA-BRAIN!!!

liberal-democrat-brain.jpg

You have an excellent point, Samson. But I can't help pointing out that a degree in women's studies is inherently useless for any employment apart from becoming a professor of women's studies so more unemployable people can be drug through this hedge backwards. Colleges and universities should either close some departments or accept only trust fund babies as students within them.

And yes, it is predatory to loan a chicklet $50,000 against a degree she will derive not one slim dime of paycheck from. These goddamned banks need to start asking more questions.

People need to stop taking on debt they cant afford also.

I would love to have been able to go to drafting school or law school, but I couldnt afford too, and my dad couldnt help me either. So I did what I could and went to a smaller school that I could afford. Its that simple. I lived within my means.... wow!

Sure, did you?

Ok, you're right.

$40,000 from Citibank
$20,000 from Sallie Mae

The government cannot account for $750B in stimulous money, so taking them to task for being accountable for $40,000 is a little silly.

But, so is the NYT for not simply recognising this story for what it is: Failure of Personal Responsibility. Instead, the paper makes the point that somehow the University vet-out students who make stupid choices, and Citi, a bank, shouldn't make student loans.

This is a reasonable statement.

The university and the bank come in for their share of the blame IMO.

The mother put up her house/B&B as collateral to cover the $40K loan.

Is Citi supposed to stop lending money?

What do you think the University should do? Hire and office a staff of a dozen people to act as financial nannies?

Who says anyone has to feel compassion for every person who makes an idiotic mistake? Why would NYT even write the article, pointing blame? Of course they believe she is a "victim" and "victims" should be compensated. Wrong.

We have been visiting colleges. They have all kinds of whackjob majors. Should they not be available?

Who says anyone has to feel compassion for every person who makes an idiotic mistake? Why would NYT even write the article, pointing blame? Of course they believe she is a "victim" and "victims" should be compensated. Wrong.

We have been visiting colleges. They have all kinds of whackjob majors. Should they not be available?
I didn't see the article as pointing blame, but I could see how you could see it.

They also didn't claim that she should be "compensated".

She'll never escape this debt, Samson. That should make you feel a little better.

What would make me feel better is if the NYT would cease and desist from enabling this sort of foolishness, and act more to educate the public in Living 101: Do not borrow money to invest in Underwater Basketweaving Degrees.

Or

A tumbler of single malt scotch, with a single cube of ice.

The university and the bank come in for their share of the blame IMO.

The mother put up her house/B&B as collateral to cover the $40K loan.

Is Citi supposed to stop lending money?

What do you think the University should do? Hire and office a staff of a dozen people to act as financial nannies?

I think some colleges and universities should close departments that cannot graduate employable people, or refuse to accept financial aid for their courses. But then I have an undergraduate degree in sociology and am still pissed it qualified me for nada other than waitressing.

I think some colleges and universities should close departments that cannot graduate employable people

:eusa_eh:

Is it so difficult for people going to college to make intelligent choices about what they want to major? Realise these are the SMARTEST PEOPLE WE HAVE!!! We expect them not to smoke, not to drink 40 shots of tequilla in an hour, and we expect them to pick a major that will offer employment opportunities.

If you want to close colleges that offer "Wackjob Majors," then you also need to change the minimum ages for tobacco and alcohol sales.

I don't see the relationship between alcohol and college majors, Samson. Unless you're implying I chose Sociology whilst drunky, which could be true.

Lemme spell it out for you then:

Drinking is a personal choice

Picking a major is a personal choice

If you want to limit stupid personal choices that students can make, why not limit them all?

Forum List

Back