Two weeks notice. Is it fair to the employee?

t
Outdated double standard Bullshite. Punish workers, but allow Corporate Fatcats to treat workers any way they choose. Sorry, but times are changin. That Corporate double standard Bullshite ain't flyin anymore.

the double standard exists because they rely on you. you do not rely on them. and you can't leave people short-handed. it is responsible to allow time to find your replacement and perhaps train them.

you're childish.

Nah, the double standard nonsense is childish. Businesses aren't concerned with two week notices when it's time to dump workers. Frankly, they don't give a shite whether you and your family end up homeless or die.

So they'll survive workers not giving two week notices. Workers shouldn't be held to standards that businesses aren't held to.

Than you should tell your future employer that you wont be giving a two week notice when you quit before he hires you.

I understand that it is the current system. I get it. But it's silly. Times have changed. There is no more 'professional courtesy.' That went out the window a long time ago. It ended when many Businesses decided to treat workers like worthless slaves.

It's a brutal cut-throat world now. No one owes anyone courtesy. And it's Businesses that have created that climate. So they have no right to bitch about it. Period, end of story.

I've known people with your attitude...they never advance and most of them end up being fired.

Do they get two weeks notice? Pretty sure they don't. Because most Businesses don't care whether you live or die. When it's time to dump you, it's done. They don't feel they're required to give you a two weeks notice. So why expect it from workers?

Let's just stop with the pious preaching nonsense. We live in different times. No one owes anyone courtesy. It's an ugly climate Businesses themselves have created. It is what it is.

t
the double standard exists because they rely on you. you do not rely on them. and you can't leave people short-handed. it is responsible to allow time to find your replacement and perhaps train them.

you're childish.

Nah, the double standard nonsense is childish. Businesses aren't concerned with two week notices when it's time to dump workers. Frankly, they don't give a shite whether you and your family end up homeless or die.

So they'll survive workers not giving two week notices. Workers shouldn't be held to standards that businesses aren't held to.

Than you should tell your future employer that you wont be giving a two week notice when you quit before he hires you.

I understand that it is the current system. I get it. But it's silly. Times have changed. There is no more 'professional courtesy.' That went out the window a long time ago. It ended when many Businesses decided to treat workers like worthless slaves.

It's a brutal cut-throat world now. No one owes anyone courtesy. And it's Businesses that have created that climate. So they have no right to bitch about it. Period, end of story.

I've known people with your attitude...they never advance and most of them end up being fired.

Do they get two weeks notice? Pretty sure they don't. Because most Businesses don't care whether you live or die. When it's time to dump you, it's done. They don't feel they're required to give you a two weeks notice. So why expect it from workers?

Let's just stop with the pious preaching nonsense. We live in different times. No one owes anyone courtesy. It's an ugly climate Businesses themselves have created. It is what it is.

Not sure what kind of places you've worked but I never had a problem with my employers.
In fact they'd go out of their way to make me happy because I was valuable...and of course they knew I would never walk out without notice.

t

Not sure what kind of places you've worked but I never had a problem with my employers.
In fact they'd go out of their way to make me happy because I was valuable...and of course they knew I would never walk out without notice.

Nice fairy tale. But the world has changed. Most businesses today, honestly don't care whether you live or die. When it's time for you to go, you're gone. 'Professional Courtesy' is a thing of the past.

But if you do wanna hold workers to a particuar moral standard, make sure you hold businesses to the same standard. Otherwise, you're just being disingenuous and hypocritical.

t

Nice fairy tale. But the world has changed. Most businesses today, honestly don't care whether you live or die. When it's time for you to go, you're gone. 'Professional Courtesy' is a thing of the past.

But if you do wanna hold workers to a particuar moral standard, make sure you hold businesses to the same standard. Otherwise, you're just being disingenuous and hypocritical.

You depend on the company for a living.

t

Doesn't mean you hold workers to a moral standard you don't require of Businesses. Moral and Professional Courtesy works both ways. It's too bad most Businesses have decided to behave like ugly Slave Owners.

There is no more 'Professional Courtesy.' It shouldn't be expected. Businesses threw that theory out the window a long time ago. The current ugly climate is all on them.

All you business saavy people here is a question. Should an employee have to give two weeks notice before leaving a job? I myself think that is not fair to the employee if the better job can be started immediately. Is there still this infringement of freedom on the employee?
You don't have to give a notice unless you are bound by a contract that defines the terms of leaving your job

As an addendum

No you don't have to give a notice if not specifically bound by a contract and most hourly wage jobs are non-contractual employment at will positions

But If I was interviewing you I would assume you would give a 2 week notice out of courtesy to your current employer if you said to me that you would quit without notice then I would think that would be a serious negative against you and I would certainly consider that in my decision to hire you or not

Last edited:
As an addendum

No you don't have to give a notice if not specifically bound by a contract and most hourly wage jobs are non-contractual employment at will positions

But If I was interviewing you I would assume you would give a 2 week notice out of courtesy to your current employer if you said to me that you would quit without notice then I would think that would be a serious negative against you and consider that in my decision to hire you or not

As long as both employee and employer are held to the same professional/moral standards, i have no problem with such requirements. But too often i see people expressing that only the employee should be required to show 'Professional Courtesy.' They let the employer completely off the hook as far as professionalism and ethics are concerned. It's an old outdated double standard.

t

Doesn't mean you hold workers to a moral standard you don't require of Businesses. Moral and Professional Courtesy works both ways. It's too bad most Businesses have decided to behave like ugly Slave Owners.

There is no more 'Professional Courtesy.' It shouldn't be expected. Businesses threw that theory out the window a long time ago. The current ugly climate is all on them.

You work for them...not the other way around.
If you dont like it go into business for yourself,

If the company needs two weeks for you to transition your job when you quit, they should offer you a two week transition when they lay you off
Some do. When Circuit City went through the first round of layoffs, they offered severance packages to the employees that were based on years of service. Later, they would offer employees they were laying off three months to train their replacements, followed by a severance package. If the employee refused the deal, they had to leave immediately, with nothing.

In IT, they don't want you to have access to data once you realize your tenure is time limited. I was laid off from my last job and given a solid severance package, but literally had my network access blocked while I was being given the news.
So an employee is expected to show loyalty while an employer shows loyalty by assuming you are a thief and saboteur
Would you take that chance? I had access to a lot of very valuable data and could have trashed organ transplantation in the US for some time were I so inclined. Of course, it would have been stupid and morally reprehensible for me to do it, but It's not like all I could have done was broken a few windows or knocked over a few displays.

As an addendum

But If I was interviewing you I would assume you would give a 2 week notice out of courtesy to your current employer if you said to me that you would quit without notice then I would think that would be a serious negative against you and consider that in my decision to hire you or not

As long as both employee and employer are held to the same professional/moral standards, i have no problem with such requirements. But too often i see people expressing that only the employee should be required to show 'Professional Courtesy.' They let the employer completely off the hook as far as professionalism and ethics are concerned. It's an old outdated double standard.

Most people get notice of a layoff and IMO if I'm firing someone for cause I am not allowing them continued access to my property for 2 weeks

It's about who holds the power of your paycheck.
Go ahead and bite the hand that feeds you....

Businesses aren't required to give two week notices when they dump employees. They don't have mercy. It's all about business. So employees shouldn't be held to some outdated hypocritical moral standard.

No, they shouldn't. But if you don't provide a two-week notice, don't get too upset when they don't give you a good job reference in the future.

Outdated double standard Bullshite. Punish workers, but allow Corporate Fatcats to treat workers any way they choose. Sorry, but times are changin. That Corporate double standard Bullshite ain't flyin anymore.

you're childish.

nah... you're a whiny little boy

you're childish.

because they're horrible workers with a terrible work ethic

t

you're childish.

if you're fired "for cause" like not showing up or theft or some other misuse of your position,then you aren't going to get notice. if it's about normal termination, you generally get notice.

but then again, i've never been terminated from a job. you?

If it's in the employee handbook or you were told ahead of time about the policy you have no room to complain.
It's unenforceable even if it's in the employee handbook

Oh no doubt. But it may very well come back and bite you in the ass at a later date.
I don't see how as if you leave with no notice you can never use that job as a reference

You're going to leave a years long break in your resume?

you're childish.

because they're horrible workers with a terrible work ethic

It's that whole entitlement mentality and the inflated egos kids have nowadays.
They cant get it through their heads that they work at the pleasure of the company,not the other way around.
And when you look at the job market these days when it comes to quality jobs there will be a crap load of people willing to fill the empty spot when they get shit canned.

t

You work for them...not the other way around.
If you dont like it go into business for yourself,

Nah, i don't worship the Slave Owner. That's for you greedy white Republican dudes to do. Everyone's equal. Workers shouldn't be held to higher moral standards than Businesses are. It's a two-way street.

Forum List

Back