Two Questions for Atheists

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Back a few weeks ago, I posed my first question to Atheists and I was surprised how suddenly we had so many posters proclaim themselves "Agnostic!" It was an amazing thing to see. We constantly get bombarded with the so-called "naysayers" on this forum regularly but for some odd reason, my question turned them away from Atheism to Agnosticism instantly. I don't think I ever got an honest answer to my question. So I decided it would be a good idea for a thread OP.

First Question for Atheists:

Do you hope that you are wrong or do you hope that you are right?

It's not a trick question. It's relatively easy. Just answer it honestly. If you can't answer, perhaps you need to ask yourself the question in quiet contemplation? How you answer is important and I will explain later.

The second question is:

Do you ever have doubts about your Atheism?

Again, not a trick question, relatively easy to answer.

Now, I wish that I could take credit for these profoundly brilliant questions but I can't. They are presented by Dennis Prager in an article he posted some time back. I will outline a little more about what he had to say later on. For now, I just want to get some feedback from our Atheist contingent... if we have one.

False premise.

As one of those being referenced by your divisive OP, I will speak for myself in saying you didnt turn me from atheist to agnostic.

Ive always been agnostic. And theres a documented record of it. :thup:

Im agnostic but i will gladly answer your questions
1. Neither. If i dont believe in man made gods, why would i fear the afterlife?
2. Not about my agnosticism, no. I do not doubt a supreme creator but not the ones humans believe in. I believe that if something was so intelligent it could create everything, it wouldnt call blackmail "free will", it wouldnt kill children, it wouldnt build its empire from fear and it wouldnt be blasphemy to think outside the box.

I'm agnostic but in your opinion I'm atheist, and no I do not live my life for the afterlife, that is why I cherish life now, in the here and now. No one knows.

Do I want to be immortal, so I can what float on a cloud and play harp music, or watch the people burn in hell?

I think we live on in others memories and those into the arts by tangible articles.

Prager is a jew and he has jew views. All anyone can be is agnostic.

Last edited:
Agnostic, not atheist. I don't claim to have The Answer, and it seems to me that it would take quite an ego to think that.

1. Hope I'm right or wrong? Don't know, don't care.
2. No doubts about my agnosticism. Show me real proof - not circumstantial evidence - and I'll believe it, whatever it is.

This has NOTHING to do with afterlife. I am asking about your Atheist beliefs. If you're NOT an Atheist (seems many of you aren't) then the question is not for you.

False premise.

As one of those being referenced by your divisive OP, I will speak for myself in saying you didnt turn me from atheist to agnostic.

There is no premise. Just a question for Atheists.

I don't feel hope either way (I'm not Christian, I'm pagan, but I don't believe in life after death). I don't waste my time wishing Cinderella was true or not true, either.

I'm not an atheist, but I never doubt that Christianity is a made up religion, just like every other religion.

Hope that helps.

False premise.

There is no premise. Just a question for Atheists.
Premise 1 was that you posted this question prior, and atheists were soo0o0o scared to answer they changed to being agnostic.

Thats as false today as it was when you first said it.

I don't feel hope either way (I'm not Christian, I'm pagan, but I don't believe in life after death). I don't waste my time wishing Cinderella was true or not true, either.

I'm not an atheist, but I never doubt that Christianity is a made up religion, just like every other religion.

Hope that helps.

Doesn't really help because you're not an Atheist.

My question are for Atheists. I though that was made clear in the OP? :dunno:

If you're NOT an Atheist (seems many of you aren't) then the question is not for you.
I don't think there are many real atheists. Even the great Christopher Hitchens (RIP Hitch), the author of the book "God is Not Great", said that he would believe if he had proof.

He did think of himself as an "anti-theist", however, in that he was very much against organized religion, regardless of whether God exists or not.

If you're NOT an Atheist (seems many of you aren't) then the question is not for you.
I don't think there are many real atheists. Even the great Christopher Hitchens (RIP Hitch), the author of the book "God is Not Great", said that he would believe if he had proof.

He did think of himself as an "anti-theist", however, in that he was very much against organized religion, regardless of whether God exists or not.
Id describe myself as sort of the same, anti theist. But not the person, in terms of anti. Just the organized structure of theology.

Premise 1 was that you posted this question prior, and atheists were soo0o0o scared to answer they changed to being agnostic.

I never said anyone was "soooo scared" of anything. I just stated a fact. As we can clearly see in this thread so far, there seems to be an incredible reluctance for people to attest to Atheist belief. Hey, I am an optimist! I'd like to think that MOST people who don't believe in a God aren't Atheist and are, in fact, Agnostic. It gives me hope for humanity because it means they've not answered that internal question. There's still hope!

I never said anyone was "soooo scared" of anything. I just stated a fact. As we can clearly see in this thread so far, there seems to be an incredible reluctance for people to attest to Atheist belief. Hey, I am an optimist! I'd like to think that MOST people who don't believe in a God aren't Atheist and are, in fact, Agnostic. It gives me hope for humanity because it means they've not answered that internal question. There's still hope!
People usually dont attest to being atheist when theyre agnostic.

I dont know why that would be such a moving revelation, perhaps you need to re-evaluate.

Why of course I hope I am wrong. I would love for there to be a magical place full of rainbows and unicorns where you live for ever and ever. I also hope I win the Powerball someday and that I live to be 120 years old

Not since I was 12

I believe most Agnostics are pussies
Atheism has such a bad connotation in our society. Claiming to be Agnostic is an easy way out

I believe most Agnostics are pussies
Atheism has such a bad connotation in our society. Claiming to be Agnostic is an easy way out
Depends on how you define Atheism.

If you define it as posessing knowledge that a god doesnt or couldnt exist, Id call it lying.

Same as I call theists.

Forum List

Back