Two Questions for Atheists

Okay, to answer your questions...

Do you hope that you are wrong or do you hope that you are right?

Never really gave any thought to that. The idea that there could be a heaven or hell is just as silly to me as their being a Hades of Valhalla or Nirvana. Yeah, it would nice if some of these places existed, but not really.

I mean, heaven would get kind of boring after the first few hundred years.

Do you ever have doubts about your Atheism?

All the time. Of course, we all hope that there's some reason for all this suffering and struggle.

But then you have the problem of evidence.

The only evidence you guys have are a lot of bronze age myths.

Premise 1 was that you posted this question prior, and atheists were soo0o0o scared to answer they changed to being agnostic.

Thats as false today as it was when you first said it.

I never said anyone was "soooo scared" of anything. I just stated a fact. As we can clearly see in this thread so far, there seems to be an incredible reluctance for people to attest to Atheist belief. Hey, I am an optimist! I'd like to think that MOST people who don't believe in a God aren't Atheist and are, in fact, Agnostic. It gives me hope for humanity because it means they've not answered that internal question. There's still hope!

I believe most Agnostics are pussies
Atheism has such a bad connotation in our society. Claiming to be Agnostic is an easy way out
Depends on how you define Atheism.

If you define it as posessing knowledge that a god doesnt or couldnt exist, Id call it lying.

Same as I call theists.

How do you prove that a magical creature does not exist to a group of people who believe that magical creatures exist?

Premise 1 was that you posted this question prior, and atheists were soo0o0o scared to answer they changed to being agnostic.

I never said anyone was "soooo scared" of anything. I just stated a fact. As we can clearly see in this thread so far, there seems to be an incredible reluctance for people to attest to Atheist belief. Hey, I am an optimist! I'd like to think that MOST people who don't believe in a God aren't Atheist and are, in fact, Agnostic. It gives me hope for humanity because it means they've not answered that internal question. There's still hope!

Atheism has such a bad connotation in our society. Claiming to be Agnostic is an easy way out

If you define it as posessing knowledge that a god doesnt or couldnt exist, Id call it lying.

Same as I call theists.

How do you prove that a magical creature does not exist to a group of people who believe that magical creatures exist?
You cannot "prove" it does or does not exist, hence the category "agnostic" being the last bastion of intellectual honesty.

my question turned them away from Atheism to Agnosticism instantly. I don't think I ever got an honest answer to my question. So I decided it would be a good idea for a thread OP.
Sorry I missed it, for I most unabashedly am an atheist. Atheism includes agnosticism, by the way. There's no clear dichotomy.
I hope you don't really believe disbelief in Flying Spaghetti Monsters requires hope.
No.

Same as I call theists.

You cannot "prove" it does or does not exist, hence the category "agnostic" being the last bastion of intellectual honesty.

Are people who believe in leprechauns and fairies intellectual?

Same as I call theists.

Thats not a valid comparison.

We can scour the Earth for leprechauns and fairies.

Can we go back to the origins of existence, to witness God or no God?

my question turned them away from Atheism to Agnosticism instantly. I don't think I ever got an honest answer to my question. So I decided it would be a good idea for a thread OP.
Sorry I missed it, for I most unabashedly am an atheist. Atheism includes agnosticism, by the way. There's no clear dichotomy.
I hope you don't really believe disbelief in Flying Spaghetti Monsters requires hope.
No.

Why do Atheists have trouble answering my simple question honestly?

And what, pray tell, was dishonest about "No."? Methinks thou dost protest entirely too much instead of simply responding with your apparent contrary opinion, OP.

Same as I call theists.

You can scour the Earth for leprechauns and fairies and those who believe will tell you they were hiding

Same as I call theists.

You can scour the Earth for leprechauns and fairies and those who believe will tell you they were hiding
Cool.

No.

I answered honestly
Why do you have so much trouble accepting answers you don't agree with?

Atheism includes agnosticism, by the way. There's no clear dichotomy.

Another interesting and fascinating reveal. Let's ponder this philosophically. Could you also say that it's possible for someone who claims to be Atheist or Agnostic to actually believe in God? How about the possibility that someone who claims belief in God but they actually aren't sure and therefore, Agnostic? So we can make the intellectual argument that "Agnostic" can also include professed Christians. Or that professed Atheists could also include disillusioned Christians. You're right-- no clear dichotomy.

I find it fascinating that so many will mock and denounce Christian religion but shy away from having conviction when it comes to their Atheist viewpoint. Rather than be put in the awkward position of defending their Atheism, they run to the safety of the Agnostic label as a sort of incredulous intellectualism. "I can't disprove your sky-fairy nonsense, therefore, I am an Agnostic!" No, you're clearly an Atheist who cannot intellectually defend your disbelief.

No.

I answered honestly
Why do you have so much trouble accepting answers you don't agree with?

Well no... ya didn't answer. I asked if you hope you're right or wrong and you replied with a dodge regarding the question of hope. That's not an answer to my question.

And what, pray tell, was dishonest about "No."? Methinks thou dost protest entirely too much instead of simply responding with your apparent contrary opinion, OP.

Again.... My question was: Do you hope you are wrong or do you hope you're right? "No" is not an answer to that question.

Still waiting for the OP to say what he thinks...
"Thanks for responding to my topic" at least...
Meanwhile, I'll parse my response to this for him:
"Do you hope that you are wrong or do you hope that you are right?
Hope is not involved. I know I don't believe any theistic dogma. Nothing logically to "hope" about. And no worries about it as indicated in my response to the second question, "No."

It's actually the bastion of intellectual DISHONESTY if you truly don't believe in God.

An "agnostic" is someone who admits they don't know. The possibility of God clearly exists but they aren't sure if they believe it or not. I find this hard to believe from someone who is constantly referring to God as "sky-fairy" or "flying spaghetti monster" and such, or denouncing religious beliefs as myths and fairy tales. That sounds like someone who clearly doesn't believe in God. Not someone who is unsure.

It's actually the bastion of intellectual DISHONESTY if you truly don't believe in God.

An "agnostic" is someone who admits they don't know. The possibility of God clearly exists but they aren't sure if they believe it or not. I find this hard to believe from someone who is constantly referring to God as "sky-fairy" or "flying spaghetti monster" and such, or denouncing religious beliefs as myths and fairy tales. That sounds like someone who clearly doesn't believe in God. Not someone who is unsure.
Thats because you conflate belief in God with belief in man made religion.

Ill tell ya again.....since youre so concerned.

Im agnostic, in terms of a creator.

Man made religions, I find to be complete, blatant, utter bullshit.

Can you....un conflate the two? Seems not.

Its ok. I can, and my belief system doesnt stem from Boss on the internet's opinions.

I believe some Atheists are bigger believers in God than some Christians.
Which implies Christians do not really believe in God!!!
Looking at Christian behavior as exemplified by DoTard Trump, they obviously don't.

Forum List

Back