TWO bald face OBAMA LIES!

The 7.65% is a tax on income. That's why they multiply your income b y 7.65% to figure out how much you owe - unless you make more than 106K, in which case your capped.

I calculated your daughters tax payment based on the IRS tax tables.

The withholding rate is set by the employee- you can tell your employer how much to withhold by the number of exemptions and any additional amount you want withheld.

What you actually owe is a completely different story.

whereas FICA is a tax, it is not deemed a tax for purposes in this debate.

Read that again, Jarhead - and ask yourself if perhaps the problem here is people denying the obvious: That a tax on earned income is an earned income tax, no matter what name you chose to apply to it.

Others may attempt to find a distinction between an income tax and a tax on income, but that's just buying into the DC speak.

I cannot believe you can be so dense. This is the problem with lefties, they get something in their head and they can't even see the truth. The 7.65% is NOT INCOME TAX, it's FICA=SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE. You have to pay 7.65% of your earnings even if you never pay a dime into INCOME TAX. They are two separate and distinct taxes. THE 7.65% is IN ADDITION to what ever your INCOME TAX is.

Last edited:
The 7.65% is a tax on income. That's why they multiply your income b y 7.65% to figure out how much you owe - unless you make more than 106K, in which case your capped.

I calculated your daughters tax payment based on the IRS tax tables.

The withholding rate is set by the employee- you can tell your employer how much to withhold by the number of exemptions and any additional amount you want withheld.

What you actually owe is a completely different story.

Read that again, Jarhead - and ask yourself if perhaps the problem here is people denying the obvious: That a tax on earned income is an earned income tax, no matter what name you chose to apply to it.

Others may attempt to find a distinction between an income tax and a tax on payroll income, but that's just buying into the DC speak.

I understand....

But for the purposes of a fair debate you need to take into consideration that FICA is a separate deduction...and is a set rate.....and if we include that in the debate then you must also include SUTA and city and disibility and medicade...and here in NYC, MTA tax.....

I was simply trying to get the two of you on the same page.....more time was wasted on "definition" than was wasted on the crux of the debate itself....but unfotunately, that seems to be the MO for this board.

Others may attempt to find a distinction between an income tax and a tax on payroll income, but that's just buying into the DC speak.

I understand....

But for the purposes of a fair debate you need to take into consideration that FICA is a separate deduction...and is a set rate.....and if we include that in the debate then you must also include SUTA and city and disibility and medicade...and here in NYC, MTA tax.....

I was simply trying to get the two of you on the same page.....more time was wasted on "definition" than was wasted on the crux of the debate itself....but unfotunately, that seems to be the MO for this board.

Thanks for trying. That's what most don't get. You don't get any of that 7.65% (actually 15.3%) back until you reach retirement age. That 7.65 does not get refunded to you until you are old enough to collect Social Security and Medicare it is never counted for part of your annual refund.

Last edited:

I understand....

Thanks for trying. That's what most don't get. You don't get any of that 7.65% (actually 15.3%) back until you reach retirement age. That 7.65 does not get refunded to you until you are old enough to collect Social Security and Medicare it is never counted for part of your annual refund.

well...in all fairness....he was correct as well. FICA is a federal tax....but as you said...it is not deemed as a refundable federal tax nor is it calculated based on yoru income or deductions. Yes, it maxes out at 106K...but up to that point, it is what it is regardl;ess of how many exemptions/deductions you have.

You know...I recall when it maxed out at 48K.....am I showing my age?

I understand....

well...in all fairness....he was correct as well. FICA is a federal tax....but as you said...it is not deemed as a refundable federal tax nor is it calculated based on yoru income or deductions. Yes, it maxes out at 106K...but up to that point, it is what it is regardl;ess of how many exemptions/deductions you have.

You know...I recall when it maxed out at 48K.....am I showing my age?

:giggle:

Nothing other than Federal Withholding tax is used to calculate your refund or how much you'll have to pay. Yes SS is a tax (7.65%) because you receive wages but it has nothing to do with a refund, it can only be collected when you retire.

So yes, people can get refunds every year much larger than they paid in to Withholding Tax. One has nothing to do with the other.

Last edited:
Her withholding was only 650.00, I do her payroll.

He is talking about payroll taxes that employers are required to pay for each employee.

No, I'm not. I calculated the payroll tax by multiplying the earned income by 7.65%. I calculated the federal income tax from IRS tax tables.

If you wanted to actually contribute, you could do the same.

You are either being obtuse, or you are simply ignorant.
I am going to go with obtuse.
Ever hear of deductions? It doesn't matter one iota what a persons rate of taxation is...what matters is what taxes they paid in - AFTER ALL OF THEIR DEDUCTIONS....and what everyone is trying to get through your impenetrable idealism that blocks your thought process - is people are getting back more as a refund than what INCOME TAXES they paid in.
Let me say it again - INCOME TAXES. Not incidental taxes, not sales taxes, not property taxes etc. etc.
INCOME TAXES.

Others may attempt to find a distinction between an income tax and a tax on income, but that's just buying into the DC speak.

I cannot believe you can be so dense. This is the problem with lefties, they get something in their head and they can't even see the truth. The 7.65% is NOT INCOME TAX, it's FICA=SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE.

I can not believe you can be so sold on a cheap political stunt.

The 7.65% removed from your paycheck each period is a 7.65% tax on your income.

A tax on your income is, by definition, an income tax. It's only the brainwashing of DC elites that has managed to convince anyone otherwise.

He is talking about payroll taxes that employers are required to pay for each employee.

No, I'm not. I calculated the payroll tax by multiplying the earned income by 7.65%. I calculated the federal income tax from IRS tax tables.

If you wanted to actually contribute, you could do the same.

You are either being obtuse, or you are simply ignorant.
I am going to go with obtuse.
Ever hear of deductions? It doesn't matter one iota what a persons rate of taxation is...what matters is what taxes they paid in - AFTER ALL OF THEIR DEDUCTIONS....

Yes, I've heard of deductions. For the purposes of my earlier calculation I used the standard deduction.

It always amuses me how economic right-wingers, in constructing these demonstrations to show that lower-income people are undertaxed, always find some excuse for not counting Social Security taxes.

It's money. It comes out of one's pay. It goes to the government. IT'S A TAX.

Any calculation of people's total federal tax burden that does not include Social Security tax will be wrong. The lower the person's income, the more wrong it will be, because the more of the person's total tax burden will be represented by Social Security tax rather than income tax.

To say that income tax "counts" and other taxes don't is rubbish. A tax is a tax is a tax. And that plumber pays more than 6.5% in Social Security tax ALONE.

Now, that doesn't mean Obama wasn't stretching the truth in saying that millionaires, on average, pay a lower income percentage than plumbers in taxes. Some do (those whose income all comes from capital gains), but many don't.

However, it does mean that even if Obama told a "bald faced lie," the OP told a bigger one.

My initial reaction to the thread title: ONLY TWO?

I cannot believe you can be so dense. This is the problem with lefties, they get something in their head and they can't even see the truth. The 7.65% is NOT INCOME TAX, it's FICA=SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE.

A tax on your income is, by definition, an income tax. It's only the brainwashing of DC elites that has managed to convince anyone otherwise.

yes....you are correct. But as I said, this debate was not about definition...it is about the specific deduction referred to as federal withholding....FICA is not included in that for a valid reason...becuase it is NOT to be calculated based on deductions...it is based on gross income..

And this debate was about income tax that is calculated by deductions.

You are just being a ball buster...and pretty good at that may I add! :eusa_angel::eusa_angel:

It always amuses me how economic right-wingers, in constructing these demonstrations to show that lower-income people are undertaxed, always find some excuse for not counting Social Security taxes.

Any calculation of people's total federal tax burden that does not include Social Security tax will be wrong. The lower the person's income, the more wrong it will be, because the more of the person's total tax burden will be represented by Social Security tax rather than income tax.

To say that income tax "counts" and other taxes don't is rubbish. A tax is a tax is a tax. And that plumber pays more than 6.5% in Social Security tax ALONE.

Now, that doesn't mean Obama wasn't stretching the truth in saying that millionaires, on average, pay a lower income percentage than plumbers in taxes. Some do (those whose income all comes from capital gains), but many don't.

However, it does mean that even if Obama told a "bald faced lie," the OP told a bigger one.

the OP was not telling a lie...

He compared apples to apples...

Look...whatever...yes, FICA is a tax but it is constant with all people......thus why it does not need to be included in calculations..

No harm was meant. A point was being made...and a valid one.

yes....you are correct. But as I said, this debate was not about definition...it is about the specific deduction referred to as federal withholding....FICA is not included in that for a valid reason...becuase it is NOT to be calculated based on deductions...it is based on gross income..

You are just being a ball buster...and pretty good at that may I add! :eusa_angel::eusa_angel:

Happy Friday, Jarhead! I'm really not just trying to be a ballbuster. When people say that 50% of the population pays no income tax, it's a great rallying cry but it's simply not true. The only way it can be true is if you reclassify a tax on income as something other than an income tax, which is exactly what many in Washington would like you to do.

FICA is, by design, a regressive income tax. Instead of admitting that we have a regressive income tax people dress it up with all sorts of fancy names like "contributions".

I contribute to my Roth IRA. I pay FICA.

Anyway, always a fun discussion.

Happy Friday, Jarhead! I'm really not just trying to be a ballbuster. When people say that 50% of the population pays no income tax, it's a great rallying cry but it's simply not true. The only way it can be true is if you reclassify a tax on income as something other than an income tax, which is exactly what many in Washington would like you to do.

FICA is, by design, a regressive income tax. Instead of admitting that we have a regressive income tax people dress it up with all sorts of fancy names like "contributions".

I contribute to my Roth IRA. I pay FICA.

Anyway, always a fun discussion.

Yes...happy fridday to you as well...

But as I said...the debate was about income tax calculated by deductions.....FICA is based on gross income (up to 106K)...regardless of deductions.

When I hear the talk of "some people pay no income taxes"...I dont get caught up in the rhetoric...

I see it as this:

'some people do not contribute to the services offered by the federal government'...

for in reality, FICA is not a service by the government...it is a forced savings.

No matter how you try to spin it.... Obama was lying, and he knew he was.

He was comparing apples to oranges, all the while hoping no one was listening.

He deliberately presented misleading statistics so as to communicate an untruth. That is most certainly a lie.

Look...whatever...yes, FICA is a tax but it is constant with all people......thus why it does not need to be included in calculations..

Horseshit. You know and I know and everyone knows that the one and only reason why FICA is excluded by economic right-wingers in these deliberately deceptive calculations is to make it look as if lower-income people pay less in taxes than they really do.

And no, it's NOT the same for everyone.

If I make $50k in earned income, I pay 7.5% of my income in FICA.
If I make $200k in earned income, I pay 4.01% of my income in FICA.
If I make $60k in earned income and $500k in capital gains, I pay 0.8% of my income in FICA.
If I make $10 million all in capital gains, I pay zero percent of my income in FICA.

All of these claims about lower-income people paying no taxes or almost no taxes or negative taxes that exclude FICA from the calculation are lies, plain and simple.

He deliberately presented misleading statistics so as to communicate an untruth. That is most certainly a lie.

Horseshit. You know and I know and everyone knows that the one and only reason why FICA is excluded by economic right-wingers in these deliberately deceptive calculations is to make it look as if lower-income people pay less in taxes than they really do.

If I make $60k in earned income and $500k in capital gains, I pay 0.8% of my income in FICA.
If I make $10 million all in capital gains, I pay zero percent of my income in FICA.

All of these claims about lower-income people paying no taxes or almost no taxes or negative taxes that exclude FICA from the calculation are lies, plain and simple.

Sadly, the best you got is saying YOU KNOW WHY people on the right say things.
You disagree with the right, you obviously dont understand the right, you have no respect for the right....yet YOU KNOW WHY THE RIGHT SAYS THINGS..

OK. If that works for you go for it.

Sadly, that FICA tax that is deducted goes back to you when you retire. Anyway it was supposed to. It has never been calculated as part of a refund. In fact if you don't work, you don't pay FICA but you can still file a tax return and get a refund.

The reason it drops off at a certain $ amount is because those "rich" people don't get more from SS than the poor folks. In fact if their income is over a certain threshold, they don't even qualify for SS. So it looks like the uber rich are again paying more just by the mere fact they may never collect any SS.

FICA IS NOT an INCOME TAX OK? Do you understand?
"The amount that one pays in payroll taxes throughout one's working career is indirectly tied to the social security benefits annuity that one receives as a retiree. This has led some to claim that the payroll tax is not a tax because its collection is tied to a benefit."
Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IF YOU GET IT BACK in social security and Medicare benefits HOW is that then a TAX PAYMENT???
YOU ALSO GET ALL that FICA back when you retire!

Obama as a MILLIONAIRE paid a HIGHER tax then the plumber/teacher!
He deducted 14% as donations and then paid 26% Federal taxes!
But this HUGE hypocrite complains about his paying only 26%!!!
GIVE as MUCH as he wants to the Govt! Help your brother move out of a $12 a year hut!
BUT don't whine and LIE about tax rates being lower for capital gains then for plumbers/teachers! THEY AREN"T The IRS proved that people making $50,000 paid 5.6% (plumbers..) Teachers paid 9.2%!
Plain and simple FACTS that he is totally bald face lying about!

Forum List

Back