Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments: Dark Period in Democrat History

why would anyone waste actual energy responding to something as stupid as that?

I find things get the response they deserve.

Point out the lies, Jillian, because your bland and insulting comments otherwise serve no purpose, nor do they inform anyone of anything.

sure they did... they informed people that the O/P is a troll.

having trouble reading today, dear?

Cue the Lame Duck argument.

This shouldn't be politicized, really. Kinda disturbing.

It appears that under Hoover, Dr. Taliaferro Clark was credited with its origin. "His initial goal was to follow untreated syphilis in a group of black men for 6 to 9 months, and then follow up with a treatment phase."

Tuskegee syphilis experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But he discovered that they intended to leave the men untreated (after the Dems came to power?) so he resigned. Wow!

The main culprit seems to be "Dr. Oliver C. Wenger ,a caucasian, was director of the regional PHS Venereal Disease Clinic in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He and his staff took a lead in developing study procedures."

Tuskegee syphilis experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wiki has no entries on either of the 2 doctors. Amazing.

Democrats really can get away with murder

These people were treated like animals, there is no doubt about that.

Just makes one yearn for a free government health care system don't it?

Using Human Beings as Laboratory Animals
The true nature of the experiment had to be kept from the subjects to ensure their cooperation. The sharecroppers' grossly disadvantaged lot in life made them easy to manipulate. Pleased at the prospect of free medical care —almost none of them had ever seen a doctor before— these unsophisticated and trusting men became the pawns in what James Jones, author of the excellent history on the subject, Bad Blood, identified as “the longest non-therapeutic experiment on human beings in medical history.”

The study was meant to discover how syphilis affected blacks as opposed to whites —the theory being that whites experienced more neurological complications from syphilis, whereas blacks were more susceptible to cardiovascular damage. How this knowledge would have changed clinical treatment of syphilis is uncertain.

The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment

Very interesting article....it took Clinton, who must have felt an immense amount of guilt being from the same political party that condoned these experiments to finally apologize. I can see why the African American community likes him so much.
It was under a republican president they began.

But it matters little. Neither presidential pary holds the responsibility for what some awful researchers did, and which most people, and almost certainly no president had any awareness was taking place.

So 2 libs, 2 personal attacks. 0 comments on the op.

What a shocker.

How many times and how many ways are we supposed to respond to the stupid Dems-are-racist-now-because-they-were-racist-in-the-past talking point you wingnuts keep bringing up on here?

I'm surprised a certain Senator wasn't brought up, either.

why would anyone waste actual energy responding to something as stupid as that?

I find things get the response they deserve.

Point out the lies, Jillian, because your bland and insulting comments otherwise serve no purpose, nor do they inform anyone of anything.

I should've heeded your warning. :lol:

I was all set to jump in on Frank's side. But then after a whopping 30 seconds of research I found out he lied in his opening sentence. If there is a quicker path to zero credibility, I've yet to witness it.

Here's what I found:

"Following Doctors' Orders
It takes little imagination to ascribe racist attitudes to the white government officials who ran the experiment, but what can one make of the numerous African Americans who collaborated with them? The experiment's name comes from the Tuskegee Institute, the black university founded by Booker T. Washington. Its affiliated hospital lent the PHS its medical facilities for the study, and other predominantly black institutions as well as local black doctors also participated. A black nurse, Eunice Rivers, was a central figure in the experiment for most of its forty years.

The promise of recognition by a prestigious government agency may have obscured the troubling aspects of the study for some. A Tuskegee doctor, for example, praised “the educational advantages offered our interns and nurses as well as the added standing it will give the hospital.”

The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment

I see no reference to a white Republican administration, which is the usual scapegoat for this depressing study.

It also serves as a warning to anyone who thinks they're well-served by academia and the government when it comes to medical treatment.

you know, in a way frank serves a purpose... he makes almost everyone else look smarter by comparison.

i wouldn't mind the politics. i do kinda mind the insane lies.

but whatever.

I love it when you accuse others of being stupid, nitwit.

I was all set to jump in on Frank's side. But then after a whopping 30 seconds of research I found out he lied in his opening sentence. If there is a quicker path to zero credibility, I've yet to witness it.

Well, he got three pages worth of response for this thread. He's likely pretty satisfied with himself.

Well, he got three pages worth of response for this thread. He's likely pretty satisfied with himself.
He's a birther. They self-satisfy.

Well then, I guess he's taken my sig-line to heart. :lol:

I see no reference to a white Republican administration, which is the usual scapegoat for this depressing study.

Really?? Someone blamed Republicans for this??

This thread is the first time I've heard or read any blame being put on a party for what happened.

USRF - Effects of untreated syphilis in the negro male, 1932 to 1972: A closure comes to the Tuskegee study, 2004

"Enrollment began in October 1932."

Interesting, so under Clark it was to study temporarily untreated tertiary syphilis for 6 to 9 months then treat, but soon after (After Dems came to power) the Experiment mutated into long term Mengele like experimentation.

Clark resigned in 1933 (After FDR and Dems came to power and changed the study)

Yeah, I got the OP wrong, they were not intentionally infected, they were intentionally untreated

maybe you're more trusting than I am. lol...

i just know anyone who tries to politicize something like this is pretty vile.

Forum List

Back