Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments: Dark Period in Democrat History

OK,

It didn't take very long to refute CF's core assertion, that the subjects were deliberately infected as part of the study. According to my quick internet research, the 399 study participants already had syphilis.

Making it OK to experiment on blacks?

Nice backpedal. :lol:

I didn't say anything about it being OK. I said that you were lying when you said the experiments involved infecting black men with syphilis without their consent.

If you want to make a case for something, it's highly recommended that you don't start your hypothesis with a bald-faced lie. It kind of undermines everything that follows, legitimate or otherwise.

A deeply shameful part of this nations history. Every bit as bad as the official approval of torture by the last administration. However, the nation did not know of this until 1972. Had it become public knowledge sooner, it would have been stopped sooner. I am sure that if Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, or Nixon had known the specifics of this, they would have put an end to it.

NPR : Remembering the Tuskegee Experiment

By then, dozens of the men had died, and many wives and children had been infected. In 1973, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) filed a class-action lawsuit. A $9 million settlement was divided among the study's participants. Free health care was given to the men who were still living, and to infected wives, widows and children.

But it wasn't until 1997 that the government formally apologized for the unethical study. President Clinton delivered the apology, saying what the government had done was deeply, profoundly and morally wrong:

"To the survivors, to the wives and family members, the children and the grandchildren, I say what you know: No power on Earth can give you back the lives lost, the pain suffered, the years of internal torment and anguish.

"What was done cannot be undone. But we can end the silence. We can stop turning our heads away. We can look at you in the eye and finally say, on behalf of the American people: what the United States government did was shameful.

"And I am sorry."

A deeply shameful part of this nations history. Every bit as bad as the official approval of torture by the last administration. However, the nation did not know of this until 1972. Had it become public knowledge sooner, it would have been stopped sooner. I am sure that if Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, or Nixon had known the specifics of this, they would have put an end to it.

NPR : Remembering the Tuskegee Experiment

By then, dozens of the men had died, and many wives and children had been infected. In 1973, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) filed a class-action lawsuit. A $9 million settlement was divided among the study's participants. Free health care was given to the men who were still living, and to infected wives, widows and children.

But it wasn't until 1997 that the government formally apologized for the unethical study. President Clinton delivered the apology, saying what the government had done was deeply, profoundly and morally wrong:

"To the survivors, to the wives and family members, the children and the grandchildren, I say what you know: No power on Earth can give you back the lives lost, the pain suffered, the years of internal torment and anguish.

"What was done cannot be undone. But we can end the silence. We can stop turning our heads away. We can look at you in the eye and finally say, on behalf of the American people: what the United States government did was shameful.

"And I am sorry."

Yeah, if Herbert Hoover or Prescott Bush had conducted the experiments, I'm sure it would have been handled the same way

OK,

It didn't take very long to refute CF's core assertion, that the subjects were deliberately infected as part of the study. According to my quick internet research, the 399 study participants already had syphilis.

I didn't say anything about it being OK. I said that you were lying when you said the experiments involved infecting black men with syphilis without their consent.

If you want to make a case for something, it's highly recommended that you don't start your hypothesis with a bald-faced lie. It kind of undermines everything that follows, legitimate or otherwise.

Ol' Frank would be unable to post if you imposed such stringent rules upon him.

OK,

It involved leaving them untreated. Distinction without a difference

These people were treated like animals, there is no doubt about that.

Just makes one yearn for a free government health care system don't it?

Using Human Beings as Laboratory Animals
The true nature of the experiment had to be kept from the subjects to ensure their cooperation. The sharecroppers' grossly disadvantaged lot in life made them easy to manipulate. Pleased at the prospect of free medical care —almost none of them had ever seen a doctor before— these unsophisticated and trusting men became the pawns in what James Jones, author of the excellent history on the subject, Bad Blood, identified as “the longest non-therapeutic experiment on human beings in medical history.”

The study was meant to discover how syphilis affected blacks as opposed to whites —the theory being that whites experienced more neurological complications from syphilis, whereas blacks were more susceptible to cardiovascular damage. How this knowledge would have changed clinical treatment of syphilis is uncertain.

The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment

why would anyone waste actual energy responding to something as stupid as that?

I find things get the response they deserve.

Point out the lies, Jillian, because your bland and insulting comments otherwise serve no purpose, nor do they inform anyone of anything.

It involved leaving them untreated. Distinction without a difference

Big difference, and you know it. If you really didn't think there was a difference, why would you feel the need to lie about it? hmmmmmmm? :eusa_think:

"The inquiry began in 1929 as a cooperative study involving the Public Health Service, the Julius Rosenwald Fund, and state and local health departments in six Southern states. It evolved into an investigation of possible differences in the effects of the disease in Caucasian and African-Americans."

Press Release

Tuskegee Timeline:

1926 Health is seen as inhibiting development and major health initiative is started. Syphilis is seen as major health problem. Prevalence of 35 percent observed in reproductive age population.

1929 Aggressive treatment approach initiated with mercury and bismuth. Cure rate is less than 30 percent; treatment requires months and side effects are toxic, sometimes fatal.

1929 "Wall Street Crash"--economic depression begins.

1931 Rosenwald Fund cuts support to development projects. Clark and Vondelehr decide to follow men left untreated due to lack of funds in order to show need for treatment program.

1932 Follow-up effort organized into study of 399 men with syphilis and 201 without. The men would be given periodic physical assessments and told they were being treated. Motin agrees to support study if "Tuskegee Institute gets its full share of the credit" and black professionals are involved (Dr. Dibble and Nurse Rivers are assigned to study).

CDC - NCHHSTP - Tuskegee Study - Timeline

why would anyone waste actual energy responding to something as stupid as that?

I find things get the response they deserve.

Point out the lies, Jillian, because your bland and insulting comments otherwise serve no purpose, nor do they inform anyone of anything.

where did I use the word "lies", genius? i think you're getting your posters confused....

I don't respond to trolls who intimate that it was a partisan thing.

is that too complicated for you?

Last edited:
FDR - Inaugurated in 1933. January. OP has 2 verifiable lies: That FDR took power in 1932, and blacks were purposefully "infected."

Tsk, Tsk.

As an aside, these experiments were not a proud day for America. But if we were to apologize for our wrong-doings, we'd "hate our country" and be appeasing to our enemies and yadda yadda yadda. Can't really say Political Hypocracy surprises this young Gentleman.

These people were treated like animals, there is no doubt about that.

Just makes one yearn for a free government health care system don't it?

Using Human Beings as Laboratory Animals
The true nature of the experiment had to be kept from the subjects to ensure their cooperation. The sharecroppers' grossly disadvantaged lot in life made them easy to manipulate. Pleased at the prospect of free medical care —almost none of them had ever seen a doctor before— these unsophisticated and trusting men became the pawns in what James Jones, author of the excellent history on the subject, Bad Blood, identified as “the longest non-therapeutic experiment on human beings in medical history.”

The study was meant to discover how syphilis affected blacks as opposed to whites —the theory being that whites experienced more neurological complications from syphilis, whereas blacks were more susceptible to cardiovascular damage. How this knowledge would have changed clinical treatment of syphilis is uncertain.

The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment

Very interesting article....it took Clinton, who must have felt an immense amount of guilt being from the same political party that condoned these experiments to finally apologize. I can see why the African American community likes him so much.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back