Tucker dismisses homeless people as mental. Oh-- He's a psychologist? He can diagnose whole swaths of people?

Like it or lump he is correct.

Not all homeless people are mental but the majority of them are. Either due to an actual mental health issue or because they baked their brains on drugs. Few truly homeless people are "normal".

It's kind of like when I was a nurse and I worked on a floor right next to mental health ward and quite often was called by them to help with problem patients and I made the statement most of them are just assholes, people who didn't work there thought I was a monster. But I was right, for every 1 true mental patient on that floor there were 10 that were drug addicts or someone from a jail that said they wanted to kill themselves just so they could get admitted to the hospital for a 72 hour hold/evaluation. I merely spoke about a floor in a normal hospital, this wasn't like a hardcore psych hospital.

A news reporter is more qualified to make that call on homeless people than you because they are surrounded by those stories, footage, being out in the field and so on. I doubt you ever spent any real time around any real homeless people.

To whom is this post directed, please?

Like any large group of people, the homeless are not a monolithic entity. They are a mixed bag of mentally ill, drugged out, or just destitute.

In the two years I volunteered in the transitional housing program for homeless women, I saw brilliance and potential and many who just ran into that one circumstance that knocked them off kilter for a while.

I also saw the addicted and the stone cold crazy. And for the most part, it was impossible for the seriously addicted to stay there -- one incident with drugs or alcohol and they were warned, and two incidents, they were thrown out.

The funny part was that, even though not necessarily addicted, many of them simply could not handle the necessary structure of living in such a place, and many of them chose to leave the secure, private accommodations of our program in favor of the street or the overnight shelters. I could never figure that part out.

I got stuck on a Greyhound bus with a seat-mate who was a tweaker, from Seattle to Olympia. There were no other seats for me to move to. It was the one time I almost assaulted a stranger and if I had wanted to, I could have had her arrested for assault, the way she was flailing. My only other option was to ask the driver to put her off the bus, but I didn't want to be responsible for putting her out in the middle of no where in that condition.

Almost inhuman. Just a complete zombie. I wasn't quite sure that she was even aware of the fact that I was sitting right next to her.

I lived for several years in the tweaker capitol of Washington State, Aberdeen, and there were monuments to the tweakers around town, like a bus shelter that someone had plowed into while driving a car under the influence.

There was a tweaker named Travis, who got semi-famous for appearing in this video at 14:40.

By the time the same production company made this follow up video, Travis had murdered his then girlfriend by using a hammer to drive a nail into her skull, and then drowned himself in a vat of industrial chemicals, as is explained by the producer and narrator, Eric Johnson , in the follow up video.

There is no reason to believe that there is anything that could have been done to save either Travis or his girlfriend, and there is no way to calculate how much damage either/both of them did to any innocent Seattle bystanders in the meantime.

That KOMO News documentary report is one of the best, I have ever seen.

That KOMO News documentary report is one of the best, I have ever seen.

Hubby and I were very prejudiced. The anchors all lived in our neighborhood and were strongly present in our community, and we always found their work to be fair and worth watching.

That is not true.
It is largely true

You're buying into Tucker's bs. I've known homeless people.
So have I. I have dealt with them firsthand and the vast majority are addicts, mentally ill, or a combination of both.

This one guy I knew had a high IQ, worked every day, minded his own business, adhered to the laws of society, never smoked or drank. And I know another one who pretty much fits the same description.

Inflation is ridiculous. Ditto the cost of rent , ditto food prices and everything else.
The homeless who are homeless due to hard times represent a very small portion of the homeless population. They are a minority.

It is largely true

So have I. I have dealt with them firsthand and the vast majority are addicts, mentally ill, or a combination of both.

The homeless who are homeless due to hard times represent a very small portion of the homeless population. They are a minority.
~~~~~~
Many should be in hospitals receiving treatment for psychoses and/or addiction.

Hubby and I were very prejudiced. The anchors all lived in our neighborhood and were strongly present in our community, and we always found their work to be fair and worth watching.

I am in Tennessee. I am like that couple, from Tennessee interviewed, that could not understand how Seattle would let that go on, and like they said, right there in the tourist district, smelling of urine and defecation with homeless tents of the drug ravaged and addicted, right there and nothing done about it. No. I could not understand either. I have said on here before, with even less reason, the only thing one should want out of Seattle at this point, is to be out of Seattle. It is a shame of civic irresponsibility of their elected leaders of that city, a city, I have heard was once a jewel of the Northwest Coast of this country. I won't be visiting.

The new Meth being cooked and sold cheep is warping minds... go to any homeless camp and look at their faces... they have lost their minds... the sane ones find shelter and help and get back into society in short time... the others are sick and should be put into a mental hospital....
Do they still even HAVE mental hospitals ? I heard they disappeared some years ago.

I normally agree w/ Tucker but he has this weird attitude about the homeless. He should be saying to himself and anyone else who will listen "There but for the grace of God go I."

What if Murdoch hadn't given him his job? Oh, he had a good job before that? I hear he worked for CNN. Well, what if CNN had declined to employ him?

As the Bible says "What do you have that you have not been given?"

In any case, God bless Dr. Siegel (spelling?) who has a more humane approach. I like his ideas, have had some of them myself. Example: He mentions giving the homeless JOBS.
He should go back to his bow-tie. He is digging a hole to hell for himself.

I normally agree w/ Tucker but he has this weird attitude about the homeless. He should be saying to himself and anyone else who will listen "There but for the grace of God go I."

What if Murdoch hadn't given him his job? Oh, he had a good job before that? I hear he worked for CNN. Well, what if CNN had declined to employ him?

In any case, God bless Dr. Siegel (spelling?) who has a more humane approach. I like his ideas, have had some of them myself. Example: He mentions giving the homeless JOBS.
I would give them housing in a drug rehab compound as far away from civilization as we can find

There they will learn to kick the habit

That is not true. You're buying into Tucker's bs. I've known homeless people. This one guy I knew had a high IQ, worked every day, minded his own business, adhered to the laws of society, never smoked or drank. And I know another one who pretty much fits the same description.
Ok, so why did he choose to live on the street. High IQ or no IQ, that is outside social norms.
Remember the president's son? Drug addict.. Was he homeless? But no one calls him mentally ill, do they? Money talks
Former Vice President Joe Biden spoke candidly about his son Hunter Biden’s struggles with addiction and mental illness in a Monday evening CNN interview alongside his wife Jill Biden.
The new meth is making people crazy
How true....long term use of it and Oxy's change the internal structure of the brain.
Why did these people become and stay homeless?.
Mental illness. Ones who are there due to economic circumstances get into a program and move on.....if they want off the street.
I volunteered in a transitional housing program for homeless women in Seattle, and your post is 100% correct.
That is the key, transitional housing. Most shelters around here get you into their program, get you into some type of housing and a job. Then it's up to them to get control of their life and move on. Unfortunately, more fall back into old habits than those who do.

The hospitals are there but the will to have involuntary hospitalization is not... and that's a shame because people are dying on our streets....

Innocent people, as well.

I don't care if a junkie kills himself. I do care when they try to drag others down into hell with them.

And in many blue cities and states, they provide cash, stamps and other things to help further their misery.
That defies logic.

When I lived in a particularly active Seattle drug neighborhood, it was unusual to go to the store to grocery shop and NOT have someone in front stop me and try to sell me $100 worth of food stamps for $25 in cash.

~~~~~~
Good question. Why don't research it and get back to us.

Put on your reading glasses and try again. As my post clearly indicated, I was asking nomadic5 about the people he said he knew.

You don’t need to be a shrink to know if someone has lost their mind or has mental problems.

Just like you don’t need to be a biologist to know what a woman is. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back