Tsunami Help. Where You Can Be a Part of the Solution and Not Part of the Problem

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
I'm participating in giving advice to the people heading out to this mission. I have the experience; why not help. Listen very carefully to what I have to say and your contribution will make a difference.

1. Transportation- Trucks and ATVs. None of what we donate will make a difference if we can't get it to the people. Transportation problems are plaguing the area. Write to your auto dealers and ask them to donate vehicles.

2. Construction Materials- 5 million are without homes; we need a bunch of "tent cites", right there and right NOW! Yes, you can donate building materials and used tools.

3. Money to medical organizations- As much as money can be used at any other area; you're better off donating it to medicine rather than food or clothing. The health issue is the first priority.

4. Don't go over there if you're not donating food, clothing, shelter or medicine. With all due respect to the Christian, Muslim, Jewish and other organizations who are going over there to give out religious material to the victims; it will feed their souls, but not their bodies. Such organizations have a tendency to interfere with relief efforts because it distracts the relief workers; they will have to include these groups' security as part of their operation. This means more workers doing things other than their job. There will be a time for religious healing, but that is best placed at a time after the dust has settled.

5. Food and Clothing. It's really simple; send anything nonperishable. That "hole-filled" T-shirt looks alot better when it's on a child with no shirt at all.

That's my list; if you have anything else to add, please contribute.

Bushes and Clinton all say that sending money is the best thing, as sending other materials makes logistics tough. If you send money, it gets what they need without the distribution troubles.

Forum List

Back