Truth behind Bama's claim on 12 football national titles

Glad you asked. Alabama claims national titles for the following years: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992. Other than the first three, we'll go over each season individually.

1925, 1926, 1930. All back-dated titles. These titles were awarded years after the fact. Four teams could claim a back-dated title in 1925, eight teams in 1926, and two in 1930. See how inconsistent back-dated titles were? Doesn't matter. They don't really exist. Pure and simple resume embellishment. Some Bama fans try to justify these years by pointing out that they were awarded following Alabama wins in the Rose Bowl. Sorry. Even had there been an established MNC poll system during that time, the polls would continue to declare national champions BEFORE the bowls for the next 40 years. Nice revisionist try, but strike 3 titles from Bama's record.

1934--The first year for the AP poll, given to Minnesota. Alabama received 11 selectors choosing them, but I'm sure most of them were back-dated--impossible to know for sure. Minnesota had 29 selectors, most of them probably back-dated, but they got the only one that counted--the AP. Strike another title from Bama's record.

1941--The most egregious of Alabama's bogus titles. Alabama finished the season with 2 losses and ranked #20 in the final AP poll. But one of the minor selectors out of over 30 chose Alabama, and evidently, that's the only excuse they needed. Five other teams that year would have a superior claim over Alabama's if you counted minor selectors, but we don't. I'm not really sure how many years after the fact Bama raised this banner, but you can bet it was many--so that not many people might notice. Strike another title from their record--we're on a roll--up to five gone now!

1961--Ahh, the beginning of the Bear era, and the golden age of Tide football. Alabama was pretty much a consensus champion, with both of the major polls, the AP and UPI went their way. Some minor selectors chose Texas and Ohio State, but this title is solid. Score one legitimate title!

1964-- A 10-1 Alabama team claims a national title in 1964 in spite of an 11-0 Arkansas team having a better claim. Here, an instance of both the AP and UPI, which voted Alabama # 1 that year, still voting prior to the bowl game. Had the polls been conducted after the bowls, then I'm sure it would have been a consensus Arkansas pick because Alabama lost to Texas in the Orange bowl, but Arkansas beat Texas during the regular season. I recognize Alabama's title because that was the rules that were in place at the time. Chalk up another legitimate title for the Tide, although a modern-day jury would probably confer it on Arkansas.

1965--The first of Alabama's supposed two back-to-back titles. It was a split decision between the 9-1-1 Tide, who dropped the first game to Georgia and tied Tennessee, winning the AP title, and Michigan State, 10-1, dropping the Rose Bowl, winning the UPI crown--again, bestowed BEFORE the bowl games, while the AP that year was done afterwards. Two other teams, Arkansas and Dartmouth, also got a few minor selectors to choose them, but an AP title is gold, so score another legitimate title for the Tide, now up to three.

1966--Okay, Alabama does not claim this year as a national title, but here's the really strange part: Curiously, Alabama got shafted in 1966 by both the AP and UPI despite going 11-0 but finishing behind in both polls to Notre Dame and Michigan State, both who were 9-0-1 (yes, they tied each other) What's even stranger is that Alabama didn't claim a title anyway, considering that some minor selectors did choose them as national champs and that's seemingly all you need if you're Alabama. Yea, I think they may claim this one on a T-Shirt or ball cap, but the university doesn't officially recognize it. A book, The Missing Ring, commemorates that year. The team can probably blame George Wallace and the state of the civil rights struggle in Alabama at that time for being shunned.

1973--Alabama goes 11-1 and is chosen by the UPI. Notre Dame goes 11-0 and is crowned by the AP as NC. Who did the Irish beat in the Sugar Bowl? Why, Alabama--for their only loss. Why in the hell did Alabama get a national championship after losing their bowl game to the real national champion? Because the UPI was still choosing their champion BEFORE the bowl games. How crazy is that? Pretty crazy, by today's standards. If Alabama had any sense of decency, they would refuse to claim 1973 as a title year since they lost the de facto national championship game to the real champions, but since those were the rules at the time, I begrudgingly recognize this MNC. One good thing did come out of this fiasco though: the UPI quit choosing their champ before the bowl games after this one. Score four.

1978--Split title year, AP going to Alabama, and the UPI going to USC. A funny thing happened on the way to Legion Field, however. Alabama LOST to USC at home during the regular season. But alas, USC lost a regular season game too, and the two teams did not meet in a bowl game. So be it. Chalk up title number five to Bama, even if they did share it with a team they lost to at home.

1979--The goal-line stand title, against Penn State in the Sugar Bowl. Most of us remember watching that game. Alabama was 12-0 and took all the marbles and most of the selectors. No argument here. Score number six in legitimate titles!

1992--Alabama's only 'modern' day title, complete with all the 24 hour media attention afforded 'national championship' bowl match-ups, in this case a beat-down of Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Absolutely no doubt. Final tally to date, seven legitimate MNCs.
The Truth Behind Alabama's 12 Claimed National*Championships - Track Em Tigers

Bama owns lsu cockboy .....

Glad you asked. Alabama claims national titles for the following years: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992. Other than the first three, we'll go over each season individually.

1925, 1926, 1930. All back-dated titles. These titles were awarded years after the fact. Four teams could claim a back-dated title in 1925, eight teams in 1926, and two in 1930. See how inconsistent back-dated titles were? Doesn't matter. They don't really exist. Pure and simple resume embellishment. Some Bama fans try to justify these years by pointing out that they were awarded following Alabama wins in the Rose Bowl. Sorry. Even had there been an established MNC poll system during that time, the polls would continue to declare national champions BEFORE the bowls for the next 40 years. Nice revisionist try, but strike 3 titles from Bama's record.

1934--The first year for the AP poll, given to Minnesota. Alabama received 11 selectors choosing them, but I'm sure most of them were back-dated--impossible to know for sure. Minnesota had 29 selectors, most of them probably back-dated, but they got the only one that counted--the AP. Strike another title from Bama's record.

1941--The most egregious of Alabama's bogus titles. Alabama finished the season with 2 losses and ranked #20 in the final AP poll. But one of the minor selectors out of over 30 chose Alabama, and evidently, that's the only excuse they needed. Five other teams that year would have a superior claim over Alabama's if you counted minor selectors, but we don't. I'm not really sure how many years after the fact Bama raised this banner, but you can bet it was many--so that not many people might notice. Strike another title from their record--we're on a roll--up to five gone now!

1961--Ahh, the beginning of the Bear era, and the golden age of Tide football. Alabama was pretty much a consensus champion, with both of the major polls, the AP and UPI went their way. Some minor selectors chose Texas and Ohio State, but this title is solid. Score one legitimate title!

1964-- A 10-1 Alabama team claims a national title in 1964 in spite of an 11-0 Arkansas team having a better claim. Here, an instance of both the AP and UPI, which voted Alabama # 1 that year, still voting prior to the bowl game. Had the polls been conducted after the bowls, then I'm sure it would have been a consensus Arkansas pick because Alabama lost to Texas in the Orange bowl, but Arkansas beat Texas during the regular season. I recognize Alabama's title because that was the rules that were in place at the time. Chalk up another legitimate title for the Tide, although a modern-day jury would probably confer it on Arkansas.

1965--The first of Alabama's supposed two back-to-back titles. It was a split decision between the 9-1-1 Tide, who dropped the first game to Georgia and tied Tennessee, winning the AP title, and Michigan State, 10-1, dropping the Rose Bowl, winning the UPI crown--again, bestowed BEFORE the bowl games, while the AP that year was done afterwards. Two other teams, Arkansas and Dartmouth, also got a few minor selectors to choose them, but an AP title is gold, so score another legitimate title for the Tide, now up to three.

1966--Okay, Alabama does not claim this year as a national title, but here's the really strange part: Curiously, Alabama got shafted in 1966 by both the AP and UPI despite going 11-0 but finishing behind in both polls to Notre Dame and Michigan State, both who were 9-0-1 (yes, they tied each other) What's even stranger is that Alabama didn't claim a title anyway, considering that some minor selectors did choose them as national champs and that's seemingly all you need if you're Alabama. Yea, I think they may claim this one on a T-Shirt or ball cap, but the university doesn't officially recognize it. A book, The Missing Ring, commemorates that year. The team can probably blame George Wallace and the state of the civil rights struggle in Alabama at that time for being shunned.

1973--Alabama goes 11-1 and is chosen by the UPI. Notre Dame goes 11-0 and is crowned by the AP as NC. Who did the Irish beat in the Sugar Bowl? Why, Alabama--for their only loss. Why in the hell did Alabama get a national championship after losing their bowl game to the real national champion? Because the UPI was still choosing their champion BEFORE the bowl games. How crazy is that? Pretty crazy, by today's standards. If Alabama had any sense of decency, they would refuse to claim 1973 as a title year since they lost the de facto national championship game to the real champions, but since those were the rules at the time, I begrudgingly recognize this MNC. One good thing did come out of this fiasco though: the UPI quit choosing their champ before the bowl games after this one. Score four.

1978--Split title year, AP going to Alabama, and the UPI going to USC. A funny thing happened on the way to Legion Field, however. Alabama LOST to USC at home during the regular season. But alas, USC lost a regular season game too, and the two teams did not meet in a bowl game. So be it. Chalk up title number five to Bama, even if they did share it with a team they lost to at home.

1979--The goal-line stand title, against Penn State in the Sugar Bowl. Most of us remember watching that game. Alabama was 12-0 and took all the marbles and most of the selectors. No argument here. Score number six in legitimate titles!

1992--Alabama's only 'modern' day title, complete with all the 24 hour media attention afforded 'national championship' bowl match-ups, in this case a beat-down of Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Absolutely no doubt. Final tally to date, seven legitimate MNCs.
The Truth Behind Alabama's 12 Claimed National*Championships - Track Em Tigers

You can't be serious. We've beaten Bama 5 out of the last 6 games. And we'll probably win 5 out of the next 6. Oh well, we lost in one year when you were #1 and we sucked but you still had to go into OT to do it. I'll be back next fall to rag on your suck asses after we hand it to you again in Tuscaloosa.

BTW - Bama has yet to beat LSU in Tuscaloosa this century.

You can't be serious. We've beaten Bama 5 out of the last 6 games. And we'll probably win 5 out of the next 6. Oh well, we lost in one year when you were #1 and we sucked but you still had to go into OT to do it. I'll be back next fall to rag on your suck asses after we hand it to you again in Tuscaloosa.

Not a Bama fan, they just have a better program historically than lsu .....

I love the pathetic little fan saying we did this or that when all you did was watch some kids playing a game. You didn't do anything but blow money on overpriced tickets and watery beer. we.......... what a joke.:lol::lol::lol:
LSU still sucks and New Orleans is and always has been, the asshole of the nation.

Historically Notre Dame has a better program than Alabama.

Is there anyone here who thinks Notre Dame isn't a crappy team?

I love the pathetic little fan saying we did this or that when all you did was watch some kids playing a game. You didn't do anything but blow money on overpriced tickets and watery beer. we.......... what a joke.:lol::lol::lol:
LSU still sucks and New Orleans is and always has been, the asshole of the nation.

They don't sell beer at SEC football games moron. You have to sneak in whiskey or some other liquor and not get caught. Only an idiot would bother to sneak in a fucking beer.

I don't have to turn anything back on you. A bama fan is insulting enough to himself just the way he is. Just say "Rammer Jammer Ala Bammer" and we all laugh at you

That was weak corn dog.

Please, just say it.

gameday2008c.gif

Yeah, but Notre Dame didn't go to the Sugar Bowl.

Yes, I know we lost. Big fucking deal. We are rebuilding after two decades of mediocrity. I know we haven't been great, but we have still been formidible. Can LSU say the same when they down? I don't think so. Get fucked corn dog. Leslie Miles will fuck up. Your flash in the pan is almost over.

Yes, I know we lost. Big fucking deal. We are rebuilding after two decades of mediocrity. I know we haven't been great, but we have still been formidible. Can LSU say the same when they down? I don't think so. Get fucked corn dog. Leslie Miles will fuck up. Your flash in the pan is almost over.

Notre Dame did go to the Sugar Bowl, in 2006, and we waxed them.

Come to think of it, the last time LSU lost a bowl game, Nick was our coach.

Better get used to losing the big games gump

Except that
a) you don't have 12 titles (see top of thread forest)
b) grouping all schools that have tigers together is pretty fucking stupid and lame

Not to mention, LSU is the FIGHTING Tigers, while all other teams - just Tigers.

I'm just pleased that Utah beat the britches off of Bama this year.

Aren't we all?

Sorry guys, but LSU fans were ecstatic that Utah won. It was great to walk around in the Quarter after the game looking at all those sad Gumps. Too bad the Utah fans don't really know how to drink (go figure)

Good God. Let it go corn dog. We have already established that the LSU legacy pales in comparison to the greatness that was, is, and always will be Alabama football. When you have just one coach whose name is synonomous with winning(we have three) then you can come talk to me. Till then, get fucked. And adding the word Fighting to the front of your mascot doesn't make you any different than the other two mention. You are still tigers and even by the lowest count, we still have more titles than all three of you put toghether.

Also, if for no other reason to win this argument:

Pure class- Nobody in the world has ever accused an LSU fan of being classy.
n20500949_9576719_8475.jpg

Except that
b) grouping all schools that have tigers together is pretty fucking stupid and lame

Not to mention, LSU is the FIGHTING Tigers, while all other teams - just Tigers.

Good God. Let it go corn dog. We have already established that the LSU legacy pales in comparison to the greatness that was, is, and always will be Alabama football. When you have just one coach whose name is synonomous with winning(we have three) then you can come talk to me. Till then, get fucked. And adding the word Fighting to the front of your mascot doesn't make you any different than the other two mention. You are still tigers and even by the lowest count, we still have more titles than all three of you put toghether.

Actually, adding the word "Fighting" to our mascot does make it different, because then it refers to what is now known as the 1st Battalion,141st Field Artillery of the 256th BCT, but what was once known as the "Washington Artillery" or "Lee's Fighting Tigers" , a Civil War regiment which fought under the Confederacy. See, that makes it a group of soldiers - instead of an animal - that's a pretty big difference.

If you're going to insult our school's heritage, Gump, at least learn a little history first.

Its funny Bama fans JUST CAN"T SHUT UP ABOUT THEIR GREAT LEGACY! Does that have something to do with the fact you haven't won a national championship in, I dunno, 17 years? Since then LSU has won 2. Florida has won 3. Tennessee has won 1. That's SIX national champions in the last 17 years who were from the SEC - NOT ONE OF THEM WAS ALABAMA.

Last time Bama won the SEC - 1999. Since then LSU has won it three times.

And until this past season Bama hadn't even won the west since 1999 - while LSU won the west 4 times.

Sometimes I wonder if Bama fans even realize how pathetic it makes them look to talk about their LONG LONG PAST days of glory. Do you even realize how irrelevant your program is?

When you Gumps bring your children to watch Bama lose all the big games, do you make them feel better by explaining Bama used to be great, way way way before they were even born?

BTW - there's no better way to make a smokin' hot girl look like an ugly dirty whore than to stick a hound's tooth on her.

Last edited:
Except that

Actually, adding the word "Fighting" to our mascot does make it different, because then it refers to what is now known as the 1st Battalion,141st Field Artillery of the 256th BCT, but what was once known as the "Washington Artillery" or "Lee's Fighting Tigers" , a Civil War regiment which fought under the Confederacy. See, that makes it a group of soldiers - instead of an animal - that's a pretty big difference.

If you're going to insult our school's heritage, Gump, at least learn a little history first.

Its funny Bama fans JUST CAN"T SHUT UP ABOUT THEIR GREAT LEGACY! Does that have something to do with the fact you haven't won a national championship in, I dunno, 17 years? Since then LSU has won 2. Florida has won 3. Tennessee has won 1. That's SIX national champions in the last 17 years who were from the SEC - NOT ONE OF THEM WAS ALABAMA.

Last time Bama won the SEC - 1999. Since then LSU has won it three times.

And until this past season Bama hadn't even won the west since 1999 - while LSU won the west 4 times.

Sometimes I wonder if Bama fans even realize how pathetic it makes them look to talk about their LONG LONG PAST days of glory. Do you even realize how irrelevant your program is?

When you Gumps bring your children to watch Bama lose all the big games, do you make them feel better by explaining Bama used to be great, way way way before they were even born?

BTW - there's no better way to make a smokin' hot girl look like an ugly dirty whore than to stick a hound's tooth on her.

Dude, you got banned from from your own fansite? Its sad when your own fellow Tigers don't like you.

I was banned for my political posts, not my sports posts. I realize this may be hard to comprehend, since in Bama politics is nothing more but figuring out how to keep blacks down.

I was banned for my political posts, not my sports posts. I realize this may be hard to comprehend, since in Bama politics is nothing more but figuring out how to keep blacks down.

Fuck you corn dog. I'll be damned if I'll take a lecturing on my state's past from a coonass. Especially in a thread filled with good natured ribbing about two great southern football programs. Last time I read a history book, Louisiana was no stranger to Jim Crow either.

Forum List

Back