Trump's Own Budget Office Admits Obama-era regulations brought in billions in benefits

I'm curious as to how they reached this 833 billion number. What do they mean by "benefits"?

I'm curious as to how they reached this 833 billion number.

It involves pulling a number out of their ass.
And then another. And then piling on a third.
Some of the numbers can then be multiplied by other
ass sourced numbers before they're all added together to give a result like......

between 2006 and 2016 brought between $287 billion and $911 billion in benefits

They might as well say the benefit was a billion quadrillion dollars.
I hope you don't breed. I shutter to think of the results.
No one pulled a number out of their asses. This is not the Trump administration.
You can't stand Obama trumped Trump again.

No one pulled a number out of their asses.

Sure thing, Einstein.

Back in the 1980’s when we used to get air quality advisories every hot day in the summer, I was frequently at the ER to deal with life threatening asthma attacks. By frequently I mean once or twice a week.

I took my meds faithfully, didn’t smoke, had no pets, dusted twice a week and still my airways would start to close and off we’d go. Numbers I saw at the time indicated that a trip to the ER cost about $800, covered by our health care.

Environmental regulations were enacted by the NDP government in the early 90’s. Coal fired electrical plants were closed and banned. Air quality improved so that we almost never have air quality warnings.

I haven’t had to go to emergency for my asthma since 1991. I almost never use an inhaler, I take no meds and I have a cat. Cleaner air saved our health care system thousands of dollars for my care and improved my quality of life. Extrapolate that across the entire population and you can see how much these types of regulations can save your economy.
Watch for an epidemic of children's asthma skyrocketing under this coal obsessed anti environment president.

There’s already an epidemic of children’s asthma, especially in cities. But yeah. Encouraging the construction of coal plants is only going to make it worse.

In my case the ER staff knew me on sight. I’d walk in, they greeted me by name and they’d lead me to a bed and let my husband take care of the paperwork. I checked the air quality index every morning when I got up to get some idea what my day would be like.

There’s already an epidemic of children’s asthma, especially in cities.

That doesn't make sense, particulates from coal plants and industry in general are way, way down.
So spending trillions more to reduce particulates even more would reduce asthma why?

I'm curious as to how they reached this 833 billion number. What do they mean by "benefits"?
Call the budget office. Be a concerned citizen.
Like that would ever happen.

Did you call the budget office?
You're the one that wants to know, not me. I know it's a valid source. Don't be so fucking lazy and do your own leg work. I'm too busy signing petitions and working with the Sierra Club trying to stop this POS president from drilling off my state's coastline.

I have a hunch that the number is based on fines and not on savings.

Your hunch would be wrong. Just cleaning up the air where I lived saved me from going to the ER on a weekly basis in summer. Let’s call it 12 visits a year. It was more but let’s be conservative. @ $800 per visit that’s a $9,600 savings for our government funded health care. That’s just for one person with chronic asthma.

The same pollutants which aggravated my asthma, also caused “acid rain” which destroyed trees and buildings. Millions of dollars were spent repairing the damage caused by acid rain to large public buildings. Our Legislature Building made of pink sandstone was an expensive fix - millions of dollars.

Acid rain: An environmental success story? Well, sort of

Conservatives never talk about the benefits, or the quality of life improvements for people with health problems aggravated by pollutants. They just talk about “job killing regulations”.

This is true in any discussions. On climate change, Trump never mentions the jobs being created building and installing solar panels, or wind mills. My son-in-law owns a roofing company. He’s going for training to install the new Tesla solar panel roofing systems. He expects this to generate lots of his future income.

Pulling out of the Paris Accord means that the US won’t have access to the newest climate change technologies or share in their development. Those jobs and opportunities will go to other countries.

And despite his lifting pollution regulations for coal mines and going around the world touting US coal, mining jobs are still disappearing.

Pulling out of the Paris Accord means that the US won’t have access to the newest climate change technologies or share in their development.

"Green energy" companies suddenly won't sell US companies and consumers their products? Why not?

You're the one that wants to know, not me. I know it's a valid source. Don't be so fucking lazy and do your own leg work. I'm too busy signing petitions and working with the Sierra Club trying to stop this POS president from drilling off my state's coastline.

Your hunch would be wrong. Just cleaning up the air where I lived saved me from going to the ER on a weekly basis in summer. Let’s call it 12 visits a year. It was more but let’s be conservative. @ $800 per visit that’s a $9,600 savings for our government funded health care. That’s just for one person with chronic asthma.

The same pollutants which aggravated my asthma, also caused “acid rain” which destroyed trees and buildings. Millions of dollars were spent repairing the damage caused by acid rain to large public buildings. Our Legislature Building made of pink sandstone was an expensive fix - millions of dollars.

Conservatives never talk about the benefits, or the quality of life improvements for people with health problems aggravated by pollutants. They just talk about “job killing regulations”.

This is true in any discussions. On climate change, Trump never mentions the jobs being created building and installing solar panels, or wind mills. My son-in-law owns a roofing company. He’s going for training to install the new Tesla solar panel roofing systems. He expects this to generate lots of his future income.

Pulling out of the Paris Accord means that the US won’t have access to the newest climate change technologies or share in their development. Those jobs and opportunities will go to other countries.

And despite his lifting pollution regulations for coal mines and going around the world touting US coal, mining jobs are still disappearing.
The left's claims about acid rain are a myth. Your claims about your asthma are probably also bullshit. Many people simply outgrow asthma. I had it as a kid, so I know form experience. Furthermore, you haven't stated when you stopped going to the hospital, so we don't know if Obama had anything to do with it.

You didn’t read you little twerp. You’re like a monkey who just throws his shit at everyone just to throw shit.

I gave dates, timelines, cost analysis. I didn’t get asthma until I was an adult, and you don’t outgrow it. You move from a high pollution area, your lifestyle or diet changes, or there are fewer triggers in the air.

The left's claims about acid rain are a myth. Your claims about your asthma are probably also bullshit. Many people simply outgrow asthma. I had it as a kid, so I know form experience. Furthermore, you haven't stated when you stopped going to the hospital, so we don't know if Obama had anything to do with it.

You didn’t read you little twerp. You’re like a monkey who just throws his shit at everyone just to throw shit.

I gave dates, timelines, cost analysis. I didn’t get asthma until I was an adult, and you don’t outgrow it. You move from a high pollution area, your lifestyle or diet changes, or there are fewer triggers in the air.
Na, Millions of people grow out of asthma just like bloody noses and allergies, etc.

Watch them all be fired for telling the truth.

What do you do when a new report undermines a narrative you’ve used to forcefully promote your agenda? You release it on a Friday evening with minimal media outreach, hoping nobody takes notice.

At least, that’s what the Trump administration did with a recent report discrediting his administration’s claim that federal protections impose debilitating costs on our economy and society.

The report, written by the White House’s own Office of Management and Budget, showed that federal regulations in place between 2006 and 2016 brought between $287 billion and $911 billion in benefits – dramatically outweighing costs of between $78 billion and $115 billion.

In sum, the regulations offered a staggering net benefit of up to $833 billion.

Figures like that would make any prudent chief executive gasp and fawn. Instead, the Trump administration has kept practically mum about the report while continuing to promote a fictitious view of the effect federal safeguards have on Americans.

Trump’s own budget office admits Obama-era regulations brought billions in benefits
Science fiction.
You wish.
Once again you humiliate yourself.

Back in the 1980’s when we used to get air quality advisories every hot day in the summer, I was frequently at the ER to deal with life threatening asthma attacks. By frequently I mean once or twice a week.

I took my meds faithfully, didn’t smoke, had no pets, dusted twice a week and still my airways would start to close and off we’d go. Numbers I saw at the time indicated that a trip to the ER cost about $800, covered by our health care.

Environmental regulations were enacted by the NDP government in the early 90’s. Coal fired electrical plants were closed and banned. Air quality improved so that we almost never have air quality warnings.

I haven’t had to go to emergency for my asthma since 1991. I almost never use an inhaler, I take no meds and I have a cat. Cleaner air saved our health care system thousands of dollars for my care and improved my quality of life. Extrapolate that across the entire population and you can see how much these types of regulations can save your economy.
Watch for an epidemic of children's asthma skyrocketing under this coal obsessed anti environment president.

Trump did nothing that would increase air pollution, so your claim is obvioiusly bogus.
I’ve already countered your lies with facts. Facts are like kryptonite to you.
Your cult leader has gutted the enforcement part of the EPA which will do exactly what I said.
Do you really think you can lie your way to reality?
Well that’s what your cult leader tries to do.

Na, Millions of people grow out of asthma just like bloody noses and allergies, etc.
And as the air quality decreases which it will under this schmuck what do you think will happen to people prone to respiratory problems?
Take your time before you answer..

Do you get a stipend from the Trump administration or from Putin pushing those alternative facts?
Acid rain is a myth?
How do you stay so mind numbingly stupid and survive?
Every day I smack you upside your head with facts:

Acid rain, from USGS Water-Science School

What do you do when a new report undermines a narrative you’ve used to forcefully promote your agenda? You release it on a Friday evening with minimal media outreach, hoping nobody takes notice.

At least, that’s what the Trump administration did with a recent report discrediting his administration’s claim that federal protections impose debilitating costs on our economy and society.

The report, written by the White House’s own Office of Management and Budget, showed that federal regulations in place between 2006 and 2016 brought between $287 billion and $911 billion in benefits – dramatically outweighing costs of between $78 billion and $115 billion.

Figures like that would make any prudent chief executive gasp and fawn. Instead, the Trump administration has kept practically mum about the report while continuing to promote a fictitious view of the effect federal safeguards have on Americans.

Trump’s own budget office admits Obama-era regulations brought billions in benefits
The T cult is apoplectic that Obama trump’s Trump again.

Figures you are trusting twat who once he reads something he likes doesn't do any followup.

Wanker.

It's usually based on calculated values ranging from easier to figure items such as accident prevention to more wonky things like cancers avoided, and of course they probably mix in some bullshit about the benefit of avoiding climate change.

The only real #'s is the additional costs applied to following the regulations, and more importantly the cost of all the paper required to prove you are following the regulations.

Figures you are trusting twat who once he reads something he likes doesn't do any followup.

Wanker.

Anyone with even a modicum of common sense can see that if air quality improves, those respiratory problems will require fewer treatments. Or that oil spills like the BP spill cost billions in lost income and destroyed the Gulf Coast fishing industry.

Trump is encouraging off-shore drilling and lifting regulations on it. What could possibly go wrong?

Wanker.

Anyone with even a modicum of common sense can see that if air quality improves, those respiratory problems will require fewer treatments. Or that oil spills like the BP spill cost billions in lost income and destroyed the Gulf Coast fishing industry.

Trump is encouraging off-shore drilling and lifting regulations on it. What could possibly go wrong?

It depends on how much the air quality is improved, and how stringent the regulations are. The issue nowadays is that Enviro types want to make the limits on say mercury so low that the cost will outweigh even the theoretical benefits.

No one is talking about removing all regulations, that is argumentum ad absurdum when applied to the discussion. The issue is adding new regs that add billions to the cost of doing some production that does not provide a tangible benefit above trying to ruin said production (which is a goal of some of these regulations).

If you can remove 99.99% of a particulate for $100 million dollars and that improves air quality by a factor of 20, does it make sense to spend $800 million more to increase the factor from 20 to 21?

As for drilling how many of those regulations are for actual safety, and how many are just to make it so expensive that drilling becomes uneconomical?

Allowing Environmentalists with an axe to grind to regulate industries they want to eliminate is like asking PETA to host a whole hog BBQ.

You are dealing with an Engineer here, and Environmental Engineer, (ChemE by degree) not some Environmental Studies yutz that normally deals in Environmental stuff.

The T cult is apoplectic that Obama trump’s Trump again.

Yes, Obama's canceled regulations show that Obama won.........something. DERP!

so why didn't the economy grow?

Wanker.

Anyone with even a modicum of common sense can see that if air quality improves, those respiratory problems will require fewer treatments.

Great. How much has asthma increased or decreased over the last 50 years?

here is the report...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/draft_2017_cost_benefit_report.pdf

From the report:

The largest benefits are associated with regulations that reduce risks to life

So benefits are mostly based on the perception of risk reduction, not actually any hard information.

I'm reading the report, and it seems you're right. It operates under a lot of weird assumption such as the regulations doing exactly what they're supposed to do and tries to put a dollar value on human health. One thing caught my eye, it says that energy efficiency regulations tend to adversely effect people with low income more than others, and that's one of the regulations that brought the most "benefit".

Forum List

Back