Trump’s First Year Was Even Worse Than Feared

Grit your teeth. Persevere. Just a few more days and this awful, rotten, no-good, ridiculous, rancorous, sordid, disgraceful year in the civic life of our nation will be over. Here's hoping that we all — particularly special counsel Robert S. Mueller III — have a better 2018.

Many of us began 2017 with the consoling thought that the Donald Trump presidency couldn't possibly be as bad as we feared. It turned out to be worse.

Did you ever think you would hear a president use the words "very fine people" to describe participants in a torch-lit rally organized by white supremacists, neo- Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan? Did you ever think you would hear a U.S. ambassador to the United Nations thuggishly threaten that she would be "taking names" of countries that did not vote on a General Assembly resolution the way she wanted? Did you ever think the government of the world's biggest military and economic power would reject not just science but also empiricism itself, preferring to use made-up "alternative facts" as the basis for major decisions?

We knew that Trump was narcissistic and shallow, but on Inauguration Day it was possible to at least hope he was self-aware enough to understand the weight that now rested on his shoulders, and perhaps grow into the job. He did not. If anything, he has gotten worse.

Here are the reasons why:

Opinion | Trump’s first year was even worse than feared

If his first year was "worse than feared, just wait for the second. :)

Grit your teeth. Persevere. Just a few more days and this awful, rotten, no-good, ridiculous, rancorous, sordid, disgraceful year in the civic life of our nation will be over. Here's hoping that we all — particularly special counsel Robert S. Mueller III — have a better 2018.

Many of us began 2017 with the consoling thought that the Donald Trump presidency couldn't possibly be as bad as we feared. It turned out to be worse.

Did you ever think you would hear a president use the words "very fine people" to describe participants in a torch-lit rally organized by white supremacists, neo- Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan? Did you ever think you would hear a U.S. ambassador to the United Nations thuggishly threaten that she would be "taking names" of countries that did not vote on a General Assembly resolution the way she wanted? Did you ever think the government of the world's biggest military and economic power would reject not just science but also empiricism itself, preferring to use made-up "alternative facts" as the basis for major decisions?

We knew that Trump was narcissistic and shallow, but on Inauguration Day it was possible to at least hope he was self-aware enough to understand the weight that now rested on his shoulders, and perhaps grow into the job. He did not. If anything, he has gotten worse.

LOL! American hater of the year! Liar of the decade. Troll of the century.

Your butt hurt whining is funny bro.

and your ass breath hypocrisy is sad ..

in typical RW fashion $1.5 TRILLION DOLLARS got added on the deficit while Trumpdrones wiped off their chin with a big grin thanking Goldilocks.

If Clinton had done that in 11 months every dipshit RW'r would be shittin' bricks whining about how the country was doomed, and the end was near.

I'm not happy about adding to the deficit, but $1.5 trillion over next 10 years is a chump change comparing to $10 trillion added to the debt in Barry's 8 years.

By the way, who's Clinton?

Clinton is the regressive liberals top criminal pick for president.

Poor commies live in fear of self-reliance and freedom. They have an insatiable need to enslave their betters. Covetous little tyrannts.

Well, maybe if the Democrats had offered the electorate something better than Hillary Clinton, PC & Identity Politics, this wouldn't be an issue.

Like what?

What does the Democrat Party have to offer besides divisiveness, vote buying handouts, larger more intrusive central government and class warfare?

Heck it would be a MASSIVE improvement if the leaders of Crime Family-D could just manage to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth ONCE per year.

Yes. Truthfulness is the issue. That is why we have Trump and GOP majorities. Because the truth tellers win.

That's incredibly insightful. Thanks.

What on earth are you smoking? This year has been good. Not as great as it could have been if Obamacare was repealed and the wall built but is been a good year

Well, maybe if the Democrats had offered the electorate something better than Hillary Clinton, PC & Identity Politics, this wouldn't be an issue.

Like what?

What does the Democrat Party have to offer besides divisiveness, vote buying handouts, larger more intrusive central government and class warfare?

Heck it would be a MASSIVE improvement if the leaders of Crime Family-D could just manage to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth ONCE per year.

Yes. Truthfulness is the issue. That is why we have Trump and GOP majorities. Because the truth tellers win.

That's incredibly insightful. Thanks.
Obama lied readily and often, and you found it perfectly fine.

Stop being a dupe for the DNCMSM.

in typical RW fashion $1.5 TRILLION DOLLARS got added on the deficit while Trumpdrones wiped off their chin with a big grin thanking Goldilocks.

If Clinton had done that in 11 months every dipshit RW'r would be shittin' bricks whining about how the country was doomed, and the end was near.

O added 8 trillion and around 5-6 trillion of that was QE to wall street. Excuse us as we laugh at your hypocrisy.

Did they offer the electorate something better than Donald Trump?
Clearly the answer is no.

Can you see that?

I know you have trouble with this kind of thing.

I was not asking a delusional weirdo who can't see reality and believes that Trump is acceptable. I was asking the passive aggressive guy who voted for Hillary. I wanted to see if he could answer the question honestly.

Can you see that?

I was not asking a delusional weirdo who can't see reality and believes that Trump is acceptable. I was asking the passive aggressive guy who voted for Hillary. I wanted to see if he could answer the question honestly.
This, from the most passive aggressive poster on the board.

Ya gotta love this place.

:spinner:

You didn't answer the question. Was Hillary a better option than Trump?

Can you see that?

Yes, Mr. Passive Aggressive, in my opinion, she was.

For me, anyway. Unfortunately, not enough felt that way.

Obviously.

Is this a trick question?

:rolleyes:

Can you see that?

Yes, Mr. Passive Aggressive, in my opinion, she was.

For me, anyway. Unfortunately, not enough felt that way.

Obviously.

Is this a trick question?

:rolleyes:

Thanks. You've spoken honestly.

Eugene Robinson is THE house ni66er of the Democratic Party.

So let me get this straight...it was fine for Barry to add a Trillion dollars to the deficit each year he was in office while overseeing the worst recovery from a recession in modern US history...but it's not fine for Trump to "possibly" add a trillion and a half over the next ten years as projected while giving the US taxpayers one of the biggest tax cuts in modern US history?

What are you going to complain about if the Trump tax cut creates a huge economic surge, Siete? Even a better question...why would anyone want another progressive in the Oval Office putting a stop to that? I'm waiting for Trump to start making cuts to the Federal Government. It's long overdue!

Not a bad year for a political novice,

His only and biggest mistake was yanking a Republican senator from the senate with a razor thin republican majority to be Attorney General, possibly with the foolish assumption that the replacement will be another Republican,

Also, this particular senator has always looked to be the total antithesis of a law enforcement officer with his wake-me-up, deer-in-the-headlight, piss-in-his-pants cowardly looks, confirmed by his recusing himself fright at the start when he was called upon to prove his worth.

Other than that, a great year.

Forum List

Back