Trump`s top economic adviser on tariffs

The US did let Hitler run rampant until he declared war on the US.
The point is, the US did NOT let him run rampant all over the world (including the US), thereby avoiding the "consequences" that would have entailed if Germany had conquered the US.

Perhaps they don't want to go to the laundry in the complex.
OH, poor babies. In life, when you are confronted by enemies, you often have to do things (at least temporarily) that you don't want to do. Are you just learning about life ?

Is this from someone who actually does his own laundry? I'd consider it a major inconvenience and expense to have to leave my house to do my laundry. I've done it and it is an expensive pain and I'd consider it a lowering of my standard of living.
The previous post (# 22) just answered this.

If somebody physically attacked you, or took your property, would you fight back to ward off that attack, or would you let them beat you up or steal your stuff, , because fighting requires energy and inconvenience ?

I feel like I'm talking to spoiled, brainless millennials.

And yes, like most people, I ACTUALLY do MY OWN laundry. Don't you ?

Nonsense.
Tariffs are past on to the consumer globally regardless of origin or country of destination.
Just more divisive drivel for the sheep to swallow.
Nothing is "passed on to consumers" This is the biggest con job of all time. The firm can only sell at a MARKET PRICE (any higher or lower results is less income)

Capitalism 101: if the lowest price product in a market raises its price every other product is free to raise their price too. Check out the prices of washers and dryers in the US for an example. The average price increased once China tariffs were in place, including those made in the US. You're welcome to do your laundry by hand but that won't work for most of us.
You don't have to do your laundry by hand. There are millions of laundries on the street, and in housing complexes. I live in an apartment complex. I have a washer & dryer in my apartment, but I could go to the laundry of the complex if I wanted too. I could also go to any one of 3 different laundromats that are within a few blocks from me.

If people would do THAT, instead of stupidly paying the higher prices, which the seller should know he can't do, you would have no problem. You are partially creating a problem here, where there need not be one.

When the seller reduces his prices back down again (due to reduced sales/income), THEN you go out and buy your washing machine (at the MARKET PRICE)

PS - I taught microeconomics 101 in college for 3 years, and now you get the benefit. :biggrin:
Is this from someone who actually does his own laundry? I'd consider it a major inconvenience and expense to have to leave my house to do my laundry. I've done it and it is an expensive pain and I'd consider it a lowering of my standard of living.

when someone resides in an apartment they likely don't have much of a standard of living :abgg2q.jpg:

A company always prices its products according to what the market will bear. So what makes people think it's so easy to just add the cost of tariffs to the sale price? Protectionism is good. Tariffs protect an advanced countries standard of living. Hell, our country used to be totally funded by tariffs before we adopted the income tax.
Of course. Anyone having studied American economic history, knows America was built on tariffs.

Nonsense.
Tariffs are past on to the consumer globally regardless of origin or country of destination.
Nothing is "passed on to consumers" This is the biggest con job of all time. The firm can only sell at a MARKET PRICE (any higher or lower results is less income)

With a trade war going & tariffs are in place, you claim, "Nothing is passed on to consumers?"

You are fucking kidding, right?

You claim you taught economics?

OMFG ............

when someone resides in an apartment they likely don't have much of a standard of living
FALSE! I've lived in large apartments, small apartments, small house, and large house, My standard of living is about the same in all.

Maybe you have a distorted definition of "standard of living" I play 4 musical instruments, all on a professional level. That's part of my "standard of living" How many do you play ? (in your "standard of living") :biggrin:

With a trade war going & tariffs are in place, you claim, "Nothing is passed on to consumers?"

OMFG ............
No need to show off your obvious obliviousness to microeconomics. We all have got that by now. So YOU DO think the firm's price comes from somebody's lucky number, right ? :laugh:

If not, where do you think it comes from ? Didn't I ask you that before ? Running away from the question ?

EARTH TO CK: You heard right. Nothing can be passed on to consumers, trade war or no trade war (unless you are dumb enough to allow that). If laptop companies started selling laptops at $100,000 each, are you going to pay that ? :rolleyes:

when someone resides in an apartment they likely don't have much of a standard of living
FALSE! I've lived in large apartments, small apartments, small house, and large house, My standard of living is about the same in all.

Maybe you have a distorted definition of "standard of living" I play 4 musical instruments, all on a professional level. That's part of my "standard of living" How many do you play ? (in your "standard of living") :biggrin:

I reside in a modest house, it's about 2,700 sq.ft, on a small lot, been here over 16 years; I don't go to the laundry room, nor the laundromat to wash & dry my laundry, I still own about 40 guitars out of the 400 I have owned over the past 50 years.
I'm 'comfortable' as long as I get my cardio workouts in regularly, have a fine cigar every other day, get to the gun range once a month, and don't have to deal with meth heads & assholes.

Nonsense.

Not anymore.
It is true that the vast majority of prices are set by market forces. But that is not always true, a good example is an iPhone. Another is cable TV, etc. etc. These products/services can virtually make their own price.
At the same time, other countries who apply high tariffs to our products - place U.S. products at a significant disadvantage in their countries....because...wait for it... those tariffs are passed on to the consumer.

OMFG ............
No need to show off your obvious obliviousness to microeconomics. We all have got that by now. So YOU DO think the firm's price comes from somebody's lucky number, right ? :laugh:

If not, where do you think it comes from ? Didn't I ask you that before ? Running away from the question ?

EARTH TO CK: You heard right. Nothing can be passed on to consumers, trade war or no trade war (unless you are dumb enough to allow that). If laptop companies started selling laptops at $100,000 each, are you going to pay that ? :rolleyes:

I buy & sell guitars; been doing it for decades.

Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Remember that, because the concept has put a good amount of $$$$$$ in my wallet. :26:

Nonsense.

Not anymore.
It is true that the vast majority of prices are set by market forces. But that is not always true, a good example is an iPhone. Another is cable TV, etc. etc. These products/services can virtually make their own price.
At the same time, other countries who apply high tariffs to our products - place U.S. products at a significant disadvantage in their countries....because...wait for it... those tariffs are passed on to the consumer.

that poor guy used to teach economics; take it easy on him dude :abgg2q.jpg:

Capitalism 101: if the lowest price product in a market raises its price every other product is free to raise their price too. Check out the prices of washers and dryers in the US for an example. The average price increased once China tariffs were in place, including those made in the US. You're welcome to do your laundry by hand but that won't work for most of us.
This also means people will have better products which will last longer, since of course the cheapest is no longer the cheapest. Nice try snowflake.
So paying more for something ensures it will be better? And you call me a snowflake. :auiqs.jpg:

OMFG ............

Remember that, because the concept has put a good amount of $$$$$$ in my wallet. :26:

You realize you just made his point?

A company always prices its products according to what the market will bear. So what makes people think it's so easy to just add the cost of tariffs to the sale price? Protectionism is good. Tariffs protect an advanced countries standard of living. Hell, our country used to be totally funded by tariffs before we adopted the income tax.
Some of us think capitalism is better than the opposite, protectionism. Tariffs are an extreme measure that must be temporary or they will distort the market with dire long-term consequences. They are not a way to protect an advanced countries standard of living.

Also, some of us don't think the gov't picking market winners and losers is a good thing.

Some of us think capitalism is better than the opposite, protectionism. Tariffs are an extreme measure that must be temporary or they will distort the market with dire long-term consequences. They are not a way to protect an advanced countries standard of living.

Also, some of us don't think the gov't picking market winners and losers is a good thing.

All true as long as you agree that setting tariffs on a country in retaliation of doing the same to you is an effective strategy to get the tariffs placed on you - removed.

OMFG ............

You realize you just made his point?

Yes, I agree but only to a point because there is a difference.

I buy & sell rare items that are difficult to source because they are in very limited supply; people are willing to PAY for this type of difficult to source rarity.

He is referring to mass produced consumer items that can easily be sourced from multiple vendors in an extremely competitive market.
And besides that point no one is going to start selling lap tops for $100K, and if they did only his dumb ass would buy one. :19:

Homey don't play dat game.

Forum List

Back