Trump is not much of a student of recent history (or any history)

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
Trump Wants to Impose Steel Tariffs. It Didn't Work for Bush

The U.S. steel industry has long awaited the move from Trump, but trade policy experts warn the tariff could do more harm than good. And they only need to point to a tariff imposed by President George W. Bush in 2002 to show why.

But the imposition of tariffs set off a chain reaction. The European Union responded with tariffs of its own and a number of countries disputed the tariffs at the World Trade Organization. Less than a year after the announced tariffs, the WTO ultimately ruled that the U.S. had violated international trade agreements by imposing the tariffs, opening the door for sanctions and retaliation.

And, in fact, the European Union ended up hitting Bush where it hurt. The bloc planned tariffs on a wide range of products, including many produced in key swing states where job losses could hurt Bush’s chances of re-election. In late 2003, Bush reversed the sanctions in a move that would be branded as a flip flop.

Trump is setting himself for a similar confrontation. Other countries have already suggested that they may retaliate if Trump goes through with the tariffs. Among the potential targets are Harley Davidson motorcycles, made in Speaker of the House Paul Ryan’s backyard, and bourbon made in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s home state. (Many Republicans on Capitol Hill have already spoken out against the tariffs).

Mr. Bush's action is likely to send the price of steel up sharply, perhaps as much as 10 percent, a cost American consumers will ultimately bear in higher prices for autos, appliances and housing. The United States imports about a quarter of the steel it consumes, though Mr. Bush exempted steel made in Mexico, Canada and developing nations from the tariffs announced today. The nations hardest hit are Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Germany and Brazil.

Trump brags about not reading, how can someone who thinks reading is a bad thing be a student of anything but himself?

Tariffs have not worked since the time of Lincoln, that is why the isolationist always bring him up.

The U.S. steel industry has long awaited the move from Trump, but trade policy experts warn the tariff could do more harm than good. And they only need to point to a tariff imposed by President George W. Bush in 2002 to show why.

But the imposition of tariffs set off a chain reaction. The European Union responded with tariffs of its own and a number of countries disputed the tariffs at the World Trade Organization. Less than a year after the announced tariffs, the WTO ultimately ruled that the U.S. had violated international trade agreements by imposing the tariffs, opening the door for sanctions and retaliation.

And, in fact, the European Union ended up hitting Bush where it hurt. The bloc planned tariffs on a wide range of products, including many produced in key swing states where job losses could hurt Bush’s chances of re-election. In late 2003, Bush reversed the sanctions in a move that would be branded as a flip flop.

Trump is setting himself for a similar confrontation. Other countries have already suggested that they may retaliate if Trump goes through with the tariffs. Among the potential targets are Harley Davidson motorcycles, made in Speaker of the House Paul Ryan’s backyard, and bourbon made in Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s home state. (Many Republicans on Capitol Hill have already spoken out against the tariffs).

Mr. Bush's action is likely to send the price of steel up sharply, perhaps as much as 10 percent, a cost American consumers will ultimately bear in higher prices for autos, appliances and housing. The United States imports about a quarter of the steel it consumes, though Mr. Bush exempted steel made in Mexico, Canada and developing nations from the tariffs announced today. The nations hardest hit are Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Germany and Brazil.

Fucking moron...Sanders ran on the same platform.

What is your point?

Thank you Pres. Trump!! ...
PXFML-9R8rIYd7U3gJg01nJrBdgKmAzBs9isbE6nV3KRY7nz7SqprA76-L2QxezVlLD_2O4-ckOLgfhEZ0-W4YSCt-OfmXNX5_dr=s0-d-e1-ft

What is your point?
I understand that what’s good for you is all that matters.

Globalization...Works.
For less than 2% of Americans.

Historically low unemployment seems like would be good for more than just 2%.
Very telling that I informed you that institutions tell business visas to break the law and you think that’s good.

Just because you told me something does not mean it is true. You told me that the Indian doctors were subpar, but that was a lie.

you are clearly a very bitter person because you lost your job to someone willing to do it better and cheaper than you.

I think that clouds your vision of things.

Globalization...Works.
For less than 2% of Americans.

Historically low unemployment seems like would be good for more than just 2%.
Very telling that I informed you that institutions tell business visas to break the law and you think that’s good.

Just because you told me something does not mean it is true. You told me that the Indian doctors were subpar, but that was a lie.

you are clearly a very bitter person because you lost your job to someone willing to do it better and cheaper than you.

I think that clouds your vision of things.
You are obviously not working with them.
I have dozens of friends who are MDs, not to mention my daughter.
I would presume your wife is thrilled to be employed.
The hospitals in Nassau County dropped non-Indians like crazy and received hundreds of complaints and had to let go of the BVs and rehire the former MDs.

What is your point?

how is an unemployment rate of 4.1% only good for me?

Oh. I'm so sorry....I didn't realize that this thread is about Sanders.......My apologies you fucking idiot.
LOL
You keep shitting on Trump and never on Sanders even though I pointed out to your demented brain, during the campaign, that their platforms were 99% identical.
So you’re a fucking moron.

The hospitals in Nassau County dropped non-Indians like crazy and received hundreds of complaints and had to let go of the BVs and rehire the former MDs.

OFF fucking topic......

What is your point?

how is an unemployment rate of 4.1% only good for me?
Look, you obviously don’t give a shit about anyone but yourself and your golf.
Saying professionals are employed when they’re pumping coffee is disingenuous at best.

nope, my wife is and I trust her over you. Silly of me I know.

Of course you do. Have they all been replaced by Indians like you were?

she is because she has a true passion for nursing and loves what she does. Sadly they cannot fill all their positions as many nurses are not willing to do what it takes to work on a Critical care floor and the ACA made their lives 3 times as hard.

Forum List

Back