Trump immigration official offers rewrite for Statue of Liberty poem

"This administration finally admitted what we've known all along: They think the Statue of Liberty only applies to white people," tweeted former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke, a Democratic presidential candidate.
Beto O'Rourke's campaign rhetoric is so inspirational. It moves me to tears, and it moves my bowels.

Your bowels are moving because you are full of shit.

It's just a poem, it's not now or ever been U.S. policy.
A flowery poem or not it has always been US policy to admit people to our nation who are self sufficient and not a drain on their fellow citizens! Period!

It's only been in the last several decades that creeping leftist ideology has corrupted that view and Trump is setting things back on their normal course. We want makers and not takers as fellow citizens. We want more ants and less grasshoppers.

I remember a cartoon of the grasshopper and ant fable when I was growing up. Someone should up date that cartoon to show ants sweating and laboring all day long to collect and store food while the grasshoppers are laughing and laying
around waiting for the government to bring them theirs.

President Donald Trump's top immigration official on Tuesday offered a revised version of the poem long displayed inside the Statue of Liberty's pedestal that aligns more closely with the administration's latest rule aimed at curbing the number of people who enter the United States legally.

Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, was asked by NPR whether the words of Emma Lazarus' “The New Colossus,” inscribed on a bronze tablet exhibited in the museum at the statue's base, remain "part of the American ethos."

"They certainly are," Cuccinelli said. "Give me your tired and your poor — who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

Critics of the policy have argued it is at odds with Lazarus' work, which reads in part: “Give me your tired, your poor, / Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, / The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. / Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, / I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Trump immigration official offers rewrite for Statue of Liberty poem.

Just when you think this Adminstration can't get any lower.

The inscription on a monument from a foreign country does not constitute law, nor should it dictate what our laws are. We are perfectly capable of forming our own opinions and immigration standards for the benefit of the nation.

Regressives have this fantasy that we’ve always taken in millions of poor and that we always should, and that somehow this is how our nation is defined. There have been times of mass immigration from European nations when our country needed it, like during the industrial revolution.

That does not mean we need to keep the flood gates open, especially for refugees from third world shit holes that share no cultural traits to our Western culture. First of all, what jobs are these people going to do? We have just gotten back to putting our own people to work. Secondly, most of this third world trash have zero intention of assimilating, how is that good for society?

President Donald Trump's top immigration official on Tuesday offered a revised version of the poem long displayed inside the Statue of Liberty's pedestal that aligns more closely with the administration's latest rule aimed at curbing the number of people who enter the United States legally.

Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, was asked by NPR whether the words of Emma Lazarus' “The New Colossus,” inscribed on a bronze tablet exhibited in the museum at the statue's base, remain "part of the American ethos."

"They certainly are," Cuccinelli said. "Give me your tired and your poor — who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

Critics of the policy have argued it is at odds with Lazarus' work, which reads in part: “Give me your tired, your poor, / Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, / The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. / Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, / I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

"give me your white, christian, well-to-do conservatives......"

Your bowels are moving because you are full of shit.
That's what bowels are for, not that you would know. Listening to Beto O'Rourke is like a good laxative and a shared experience: his speeches spew his shit out and cause listeners to lose their own shit.

Last edited:
Don’t kid yourself. Republicans want to rewrite the Constitution.

The inscription on a monument from a foreign country does not constitute law, nor should it dictate what our laws are. We are perfectly capable of forming our own opinions and immigration standards for the benefit of the nation.

Regressives have this fantasy that we’ve always taken in millions of poor and that we always should, and that somehow this is how our nation is defined. There have been times of mass immigration from European nations when our country needed it, like during the industrial revolution.

That does not mean we need to keep the flood gates open, especially for refugees from third world shit holes that share no cultural traits to our Western culture. First of all, what jobs are these people going to do? We have just gotten back to putting our own people to work. Secondly, most of this third world trash have zero intention of assimilating, how is that good for society?

MAWA.

This poem was written as the concept of what a Frenchwomans idea of what America was like then. It's a nice poem, but I prefer national policy to be rooted in reality and what is best for the US, not what is best for the rest of the world. Right now, between illegals and legals who meet a 'no merit' requirement, what is best for us is a zero immigration policy.

MAWA.
99% of our immigrants arent white. Are you smoking crack again?

When did I claim they were?
What does "MAWA" stand for?

This poem was written as the concept of what a Frenchwomans idea of what America was like then. It's a nice poem, but I prefer national policy to be rooted in reality and what is best for the US, not what is best for the rest of the world. Right now, between illegals and legals who meet a 'no merit' requirement, what is best for us is a zero immigration policy.

MAWA.
99% of our immigrants arent white. Are you smoking crack again?

When did I claim they were?
What does "MAWA" stand for?
Delusion.

The ones rounded up in Mississippi meat packing plants were....get this...working and paying taxes. Collecting free stuff is mostly a Republican thing. Fact!
Federal Anti-Poverty Programs Primarily Help the GOP's Base
Oh...The Atlantic :icon_rolleyes:
Well, we know the people rounded up were workers at some sort of meat packing plants. So no news there.
But as far as paying taxes leftists usually mean gas taxes or sales tax on beer, beans and cigarettes or something
petty like that. Paying actual federal and state income tax is another matter and it's better you not go there
because it won't wind up the way you want it to, or think it will.

Federal records indicate roughly half of illegal immigrants file tax returns but virtually none of them actually pay income taxes. They file for refundable tax credits instead, which is a form of cash welfare. Illegal Immigrants and Federal Income Taxes - Just Facts
It's a loophole illegals are well aware of. Angry Yet? IRS Loophole Allows Millions of Illegal Aliens to Get a Bigger Tax Refund Than You - DC Clothesline
Individual taxpayer identification numbers make that possible, no SS identification needed.

Just one more way in which hard working illegal immigrants bleed the system dry.

So thanks for the opportunity to educate you, not that you will take advantage of the lesson.

You know, when Trump first came up with his ban on Muslims, I joked to my room mate that they were going to have to change the poem at the base of the Statue of Liberty.

I said it as a joke, not a suggestion, but it seems like Trump and his people are hell bent on changing it.

It's just a poem, it's not now or ever been U.S. policy.
A flowery poem or not it has always been US policy to admit people to our nation who are self sufficient and not a drain on their fellow citizens! Period!

It's only been in the last several decades that creeping leftist ideology has corrupted that view and Trump is setting things back on their normal course. We want makers and not takers as fellow citizens. We want more ants and less grasshoppers.

I remember a cartoon of the grasshopper and ant fable when I was growing up. Someone should up date that cartoon to show ants sweating and laboring all day long to collect and store food while the grasshoppers are laughing and laying
around waiting for the government to bring them theirs.

Great idea.

Grasshoppers = 1%
Ants = The rest of us.

If you think any different, you're tribal at this point.

Great idea.

Grasshoppers = 1%
Ants = The rest of us.

If you think any different, you're tribal at this point.
The grasshoppers, idlers who live off the sweat and labor of others, is not restricted to only the very well to do although I can see it pleases you very much to think that.

And believe it or not some rich people work very hard though you'll never see a shovel or
pick in their hands. The idea that the rich just sit back on their plush sofas and money rains down on them is a juvenile one, to say the least.

Last edited:
Come to think of it American has always been anti-immigrant...even if those immigrants were white. The Irish were treated like dirt when they came over to escape the potato famine in Ireland. The Irish were absolutely hated between the 1850s to early 1900s...not to mention Asians and Hispanics during that same time period. If you were not Protestant and came from pure white European or English ancestry you were not really welcome. Here we are in 2021 and a sizable portion of Americans still feel that way, hence the popularity of Trump among them.

Forum List

Back