Trump immigration official offers rewrite for Statue of Liberty poem

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
President Donald Trump's top immigration official on Tuesday offered a revised version of the poem long displayed inside the Statue of Liberty's pedestal that aligns more closely with the administration's latest rule aimed at curbing the number of people who enter the United States legally.

Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, was asked by NPR whether the words of Emma Lazarus' “The New Colossus,” inscribed on a bronze tablet exhibited in the museum at the statue's base, remain "part of the American ethos."

"They certainly are," Cuccinelli said. "Give me your tired and your poor — who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

Critics of the policy have argued it is at odds with Lazarus' work, which reads in part: “Give me your tired, your poor, / Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, / The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. / Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, / I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Trump immigration official offers rewrite for Statue of Liberty poem.

Just when you think this Adminstration can't get any lower.

Already a thread on this.

(Billy buffs his fingernails against his shirt)

I was always of the opinion that the statue of liberty should be returned or taken down and put in a museum. Or blow it to smithereens. It once had a point. It is now an epitaph.

I was always of the opinion that the statue of liberty should be returned or taken down and put in a museum. Or blow it to smithereens. It once had a point. It is now an epitaph.
Because the French tried to talk us out of killing 4,500 soldiers and injuring another 20,000 searching for WMDs? Shame on France!

President Donald Trump's top immigration official on Tuesday offered a revised version of the poem long displayed inside the Statue of Liberty's pedestal that aligns more closely with the administration's latest rule aimed at curbing the number of people who enter the United States legally.

Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, was asked by NPR whether the words of Emma Lazarus' “The New Colossus,” inscribed on a bronze tablet exhibited in the museum at the statue's base, remain "part of the American ethos."

"They certainly are," Cuccinelli said. "Give me your tired and your poor — who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

Critics of the policy have argued it is at odds with Lazarus' work, which reads in part: “Give me your tired, your poor, / Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, / The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. / Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, / I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Yet another ignoramus leftist commie idiot who takes The New Colossus out of context, and does not even know the significance of the Colossus of Rhodes.

We need a fucking purge.

Yeah. Imagine that. Not wanting parasites and freeloaders as part of our citizenry. What nerve!

"This administration finally admitted what we've known all along: They think the Statue of Liberty only applies to white people," tweeted former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke, a Democratic presidential candidate.

Yet another ignoramus leftist commie idiot who takes The New Colossus out of context, and does not even know the significance of the Colossus of Rhodes.

We need a fucking purge.

A top Trump administration official said Tuesday that the famous inscription on the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants into the country is about "people coming from Europe" and that America is looking to receive migrants "who can stand on their own two feet."

What does the Colossus of Rhodes have to do with Lazarus's Poem?

This poem was written as the concept of what a Frenchwomans idea of what America was like then. It's a nice poem, but I prefer national policy to be rooted in reality and what is best for the US, not what is best for the rest of the world. Right now, between illegals and legals who meet a 'no merit' requirement, what is best for us is a zero immigration policy.

This poem was written as the concept of what a Frenchwomans idea of what America was like then. It's a nice poem, but I prefer national policy to be rooted in reality and what is best for the US, not what is best for the rest of the world. Right now, between illegals and legals who meet a 'no merit' requirement, what is best for us is a zero immigration policy.

MAWA.

MAWA.
99% of our immigrants arent white. Are you smoking crack again?

"This administration finally admitted what we've known all along: They think the Statue of Liberty only applies to white people," tweeted former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke, a Democratic presidential candidate.
Beto O'Rourke's campaign rhetoric is so inspirational. It moves me to tears, and it moves my bowels.

I was wondering when Trumps administration would get around to this.
You do realize illegal aliens can ruin any situation, I don’t think the writers of that poem understood that at the time. Lol

Because the French tried to talk us out of killing 4,500 soldiers and injuring another 20,000 searching for WMDs? Shame on France!
Lol
Pepe le pew did not do shit, they have always been too busy surrendering

He's right.

MAWA.
99% of our immigrants arent white. Are you smoking crack again?

When did I claim they were?

Forum List

Back