Trick from the 70's: Counting Calories

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
The other day I went on "calorieking.com" to see how many calories I was eating compared to the recommended 2000 per day for an adult.

I was over

Way over.

So, I'm trying to watch it. I'm not overweight by much (10-15 pounds), but I have in life until now just gone running to control weight. Once I did the Adkins thing. But I was surprised to see how much in calories I was putting away.

This site is pretty persuasive about no matter how you divvy carbs and fat, it's all calories in the end, and that's what counts. If you're taking in more than you burn, you will gain weight. And vice-versa.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
The other day I went on "calorieking.com" to see how many calories I was eating compared to the recommended 2000 per day for an adult.

I was over

Way over.

So, I'm trying to watch it. I'm not overweight by much (10-15 pounds), but I have in life until now just gone running to control weight. Once I did the Adkins thing. But I was surprised to see how much in calories I was putting away.

This site is pretty persuasive about no matter how you divvy carbs and fat, it's all calories in the end, and that's what counts. If you're taking in more than you burn, you will gain weight. And vice-versa.

Actually if you restrict carbs, you can consume ten thousand calories of fat and protein a day and lose weight. Calories are not the key. What you eat is. Refined Carbs are responsible for many of the diseases of modern man. Almost all type two diabetes could have been prevented had people been aware of the tremendous damage refined carbohydrates cause the human body.

Last edited:
I subscribe to the eat whatever you want as long as there is only one ingredient on the label.

You know:

Apples

Strawberries

broccoli

I don't buy anything that comes in a bag box or wrapper

Nutritionists kill over a million Americans a year. Globally, the annual "Death from Nutritionists" is killing MILLIONS. Nutritionists do not know what they are talking about and the profession should be banned.

With half of our population overweight, nutritionists are telling people to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. This advice is, of course, killing more and more Americans annually. The stats are there to prove that this advice is deadly, yet the nutritionists keep on giving advice that kills good decent people.

About half of our population has a sensitivity to carbs in that they store excess carbohydrates as bodyfat. Their bodies were designed to survive in climates that were extremely cold in an environment where food might run out every winter. Those that had sufficient body fat survived to spring when roots, tubors and grubs could be dug up to provide urgently needed nutrition.

Many of the Germanic tribes that swept into Europe and destroyed the Roman Empire were people of thick body that could store excess carbs for the hard winter months. Feeding these body types refined carbohydrates and fruits rich in sugar is the kiss of death. Even corn and mashed potatoes are bad for them. Their bodies get fat and they eventually develop Type II diabetes and develop medical problems that kill them. They can say "thanks" to the nutritionists who are killing them with wrong advice. These people need to restrict their carb consumption.

So why do these people with a carbohydrate sensitivity get fat when other people don't? Simple, I call it intestinal efficiency. I used to work the all night shift in a computer center with a fellow named Clif Stratton. Clif would bring a whole kingsized brown shopping bag full of Hostess Twinkies, cupcakes, Frito chips, potato chips, High Calorie dips for the chips, chocolate milk, eggnog and sandwiches by the dozen to eat every night. I estimated that he consumed 10,000 - 20,000 calories a night. He would get up to relieve himself (bowel movement) at least three times a night; yet, he would brag that he had a very rapid metabolism and burned the calories up.

We were operating computer equipment and not burning calories to any extreme while sitting down all night long. I used to tell him that he was full of sheet (in spite of the many bowell movements), because IF he was actually burning (metabolizing) the calories, his body temperature would be elevated.

He never thought about that. He was no hotter than the other guys who worked the night shift. In fact, his body temperature as taken on a thermometer we brought to work to prove my statement showed him to have a body temperature of 97.8 as opposed to 98.6.

So, what was he doing with all that food and thousands of calories? Yep, that is right, in one end and rapidly out the other. His intestines were not absorbing the nutrition from the food and passing it along to his bloodstream for him to use. Other people who would have put on tremendous weight from eating half of what Clif ate had efficient intestines and that food was used by the body.

Such were my ancestors and the ancestors of all who gain weight easily. Telling those people that they just need to count calories is totally wrong. They need to restrict those foods that are easily digested; yet nutritionists never tell them this and thus are guilty of ignorance in the deaths of these people.

Last edited:
Paleolithic Diet | The Paleolithic Diet is defined as our best understanding of what Paleolithic peoples' ate.

Below is a short excerpt from Professor Cordain's book, outlining and summarizing some of the salient points about what Paleolithic Era people's ate:

• Paleolithic people hardly ever ate cereal grains. This sounds
shocking to us today, but for most ancient people, grains
were considered starvation food at best.

• Paleolithic people ate no dairy food. Imagine how difficult
it would be to milk a wild animal.

• Paleolithic people didn’t salt their food.

• The only refined sugar Paleolithic people ate was honey,
when they were lucky enough to find it.

• Wild, lean animal foods (relative to today) dominated Paleolithic diets, so
their protein intake was quite high by modern standards,
while their carbohydrate consumption was much lower.

• Virtually all of the carbohydrates Paleolithic people ate came
from nonstarchy, wild fruits and vegetables. Consequently,
their carbohydrate intake was much lower and their fiber
intake much higher than those obtained by eating the typical
modern diet.

An elderly couple were killed in an accident and found themselves being given a tour of heaven by Saint Peter. "Here is your oceanside condo, over there are the tennis courts, swimming pool, and two golf courses. If you need any refreshments, just stop by any of the many bars located throughout the area."

"Heck, Gloria," the old man hissed when Saint Peter walked off, "we could have been here ten years ago if you hadn't heard about all that stupid oat bran, wheat germ, and low-fat diets!"

Ten years after her high school graduation my German American mother tried to commit suicide. She was depressed. Why? Because whe was overweight and could not lose weight. At the age of 18 she was a beauty queen. At the age of 28 she was way overweight. She was eating vegetables to try to get her weight down, and it just did not work. Had she known about the Adkins diet, she might never have felt the need to kill herself. She had a carbohydrate sensitivity and eating vegetables was the last advice she needed to hear. By the time she was thirty eight she had gained more weight and tried to commit suicide again. Both times she failed. Eventually she got her weight under control by restricting carbs. For the past twenty years she has been very lean while eating high calorie foods. She is 86 now and going strong. Her younger sisters who tried to do the vegetable thing are all dead. We could not convince them to cut out the carbs. Carbs are killer calories for their body type.

Some of you are probably still cynical. Remember, I have not said that they are killer calories for all people. They just kill those people who have that fantastic intestinal efficiency to be able to digest carbs and pass them through the intestinal wall so that they can be stored as fat by the body. If you have Clif Stratton's body, you have nothing to worry about.

I had a skinny doctor who always lectured me on restricting my calories and thus keeping my weight down. We were the same age. He was always skinny and I was always overweight. He died of a sudden heart attack. I'm still going. Maybe being overweight is not that bad for my body type?

Nutritionists try to consistently delude you by telling you that eating meat and fat will give you arthlero-sclerosis (hardening of the arteries). This is a damned lie that only the evil nutritionists will tell you.

There is no correlation between eating fat and meat and cholesterol that causes plaque in the arteries. If fact, if you ate only fat and protein, you would have no hardening of the arteries if your body is normal. How do we know this? Simple. If you go out to the wilds of the north slope of Alaska and remote regions of Canada and survey the Eskimoes you will find that those people who have not added refined carbohydrates to their diet and are still subsisting on Muktuk during the winter months of each year have no hardening of the arteries. For six months out of the year, they eat Mammal Blubber and do not get cloged arteries. They live into advanced age and never have clogged arteries. Yet, if you take these same people and move them to Fairbanks Alaska or Nome Alaska and give them food stamps so they can go buy flour and sugar to cook modern cakes and bread and pancakes, they will all develop hardening of the arteries and die at an early age. The difference in their diet? Yep, Refined Carbohydrates (flour and sugar). The same thing applies to many other native people in the wild. They don't show evidence of clogged arteries as long as they do not add refined carbohydrates to their diet.

Last edited:
only eat once a day

And exercise, exercise, exercise. No diet in the world is going to be an end all be all to weight control, unless you're considering STARVING yourself, and no one is going to do that. Fasting isn't even healthy. You NEED to exercise.

occasional fasting is OK.

A few times a year, I'll go 2-5 days with nothing but water and diluted fresh fruit juice.

Fasting can be good for cleaning out toxins in your body as long as your not doing it for an anorexic purpose.

only eat once a day

Are you crazy? That is just ASKING for trouble.

I eat five times a day, sometimes six. They're always very small amounts, because I'm never hungry enough to eat very much at any given time. My stomach is very small, and doesn't ask for much. And because I'm seldom hungry (although right now, I crave things something fierce, because I'm pregnant), I can choose my food based on my nutritional needs, rather than my appetite.

Are you crazy? That is just ASKING for trouble.

I eat five times a day, sometimes six. They're always very small amounts, because I'm never hungry enough to eat very much at any given time. My stomach is very small, and doesn't ask for much. And because I'm seldom hungry (although right now, I crave things something fierce, because I'm pregnant), I can choose my food based on my nutritional needs, rather than my appetite.

Alot of books do advise to eat several small meals a day and alot of people find that works for them. Im glad you are feeding your baby well. There are also books that say fasting is good for you occasionally and eating only when you are actually hungry is good too. Some people can have a hearty breakfast and not need anything else the rest of the day.

I eat a lot of protein, and all of it I want.

I have so little body fat that I cannot even do a dead man's float.

Stay away from preprocessed foods, and like Chloe suggests, eat once a day.

I'm typically up seven or eight hours before I eat anything other than coffee.

When you eat a lot of carbs, you body craves more carbs.

When you eat a lot of protein, you are satiated.

That's another good option eliminating carbs and soda is a good thing, drink lots of water. Exercise too. Alot of americans are obese because they don't exercise at all and eat junk food. In the 70's people got out more and were more physically active and so they burned more calories.

Alot of books do advise to eat several small meals a day and alot of people find that works for them. Im glad you are feeding your baby well. There are also books that say fasting is good for you occasionally and eating only when you are actually hungry is good too. Some people can have a hearty breakfast and not need anything else the rest of the day.

Fasting is occasionally a good thing, provided you can do so without provoking a binge response.

It is still a bad idea to eat a "hearty" anything. You should never put enough food into your stomach at any one time to stretch it.

I actually recommend a combination of eating in response to hunger and training your body WHEN to be hungry. While it is a bad idea to get in the habit of eating in response to other stimuli such as boredom or proximity (like buying a big bucket of buttered popcorn at the movie theater, whether you really want it or not), it also isn't always a good idea to wait until your stomach is actually rumbling to eat, because you're more likely to eat more food than you really needed.

My typical daily menu goes something like this (and yes, I eat less than most people do):

Breakfast - egg and cheese sandwich, fruit juice (I always like to hydrate first thing in the morning)

Mid-morning - piece of fruit

Lunch - Bowl of chicken stew, dinner roll

Mid-afternoon - popcorn

Dinner - lemon-pepper tilapia, broccoli and carrots

Evening - piece of fruit

I can't leave eating until I actually feel hungry, because my blood sugar has a tendency to nosedive without warning. And I eat everything slowly, so that my stomach has time to tell me when it's full before I cram more in than it really needed.

Fasting is occasionally a good thing, provided you can do so without provoking a binge response.

It is still a bad idea to eat a "hearty" anything. You should never put enough food into your stomach at any one time to stretch it.

I actually recommend a combination of eating in response to hunger and training your body WHEN to be hungry. While it is a bad idea to get in the habit of eating in response to other stimuli such as boredom or proximity (like buying a big bucket of buttered popcorn at the movie theater, whether you really want it or not), it also isn't always a good idea to wait until your stomach is actually rumbling to eat, because you're more likely to eat more food than you really needed.

My typical daily menu goes something like this (and yes, I eat less than most people do):

Breakfast - egg and cheese sandwich, fruit juice (I always like to hydrate first thing in the morning)

Mid-morning - piece of fruit

Lunch - Bowl of chicken stew, dinner roll

Mid-afternoon - popcorn

Dinner - lemon-pepper tilapia, broccoli and carrots

Evening - piece of fruit

I can't leave eating until I actually feel hungry, because my blood sugar has a tendency to nosedive without warning. And I eat everything slowly, so that my stomach has time to tell me when it's full before I cram more in than it really needed.

All good points, especially because of your blood sugar because that can be dangerous to your life. Perhaps he should see his Doctor or nurtitionist for his own personal recommendation. But some people really aren't hungry for more then one meal a day. Also exercise is great for weight loss, energy and maintaining a good mood because of endorphins. Get rid of all Carbonated drinks.

All good points, especially because of your blood sugar because that can be dangerous to your life. Perhaps he should see his Doctor or nurtitionist for his own personal recommendation. But some people really aren't hungry for more then one meal a day. Also exercise is great for weight loss, energy and maintaining a good mood because of endorphins. Get rid of all Carbonated drinks.

Oh, yeah. That reminds me. Stay in close contact with your doctor whenever attempting to lose weight. And drink lots of water. Your kidneys won't work properly without lots of water, and if they don't, then your liver has to take over some of their function. If that happens, then your liver isn't performing its primary job, which is metabolizing your food. Instead, it gets stored as fat. Ding, ding, ding!!!

Actually if you restrict carbs, you can consume ten thousand calories of fat and protein a day and lose weight. Calories are not the key. What you eat is. Refined Carbs are responsible for many of the diseases of modern man. Almost all type two diabetes could have been prevented had people been aware of the tremendous damage refined carbohydrates cause the human body.

When doctors told us to stay away from fats, people began increasing their carbohydrate intake considerably. Carbs are great as they turn to sugar which provides more energy. The problem is that if you don't burn off the extra energy, the sugar turns to fat and you become fat. There is no doubt that this has played the largest role in the increase in type 2 diabetes.

I have never allowed anyone in my family to eat anything that is low fat. My kids eat as they want, but I make certain that their meals and mine are balanced. We eat vegetables and fruit everyday, along with breads, rice, pasta, or potatoes, and meat or fish. On top of this, I try to stay somewhat active, and my kids are involved in sports all year long. We all eat more than the required amount of calories. I'm 45, 5'7" and weigh 133 lbs. I eat 2000 to 3000 calories per day. When I was in high school, I ate 6000 calories per day. A nutritious balanced diet along with excercise will keep just about anyone from becoming overweight. Unfortunately, once you start putting it on, it's hard to get it off and keep it off.

I've probably lost 20lbs since I moved to the city over the summer. I exist mostly on Diet Coke and whatever I can pick up at church. There's always fruit and stuff laying around. But, I'm rarely hungary so it's not like I'm suffering.

Forum List

Back