Treating PTSD Without Pills or Shots

Discussion in 'Writing' started by longknife, Nov 27, 2016.

1. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,999
    [​IMG]

Far too many of us - both military and civilian - fail to admit that we were weak enough to fall into the trap of suffering from the things we saw and experienced. And, when we do, the result is that doctors generally turn to what they know, a wide variety of medications designed to supposedly ease the unseen agony.

There are other proven ways of treating PTSD.

In Sonora Symphony, A tale about alternative treatments for PTSD, I write about a soldier suffering selective amnesia from a traumatic encounter in Afghanistan. Sick and tired of the poking and prodding and incessant questions, he leaves the medical hospital having no idea where he's going. He ends up in an all-night diner outside of Tuscon, Arizona where his spirit guides place him before a Native American elder who once served as a Green Beret. The elder takes him in and, through a combination of many different methods, helps erase the deep pain and allow the painful memories to return. An unusual twist is the soldier discovers he is half-Cherokee and undergoes a vision quest that enable him to find the path back to health - and a future.

Sonora Symphony is available for reading on a Kindle or other electronic devices @ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8YZUDG (as well as all the other Amazon.com outlets) or in paperback @ https://www.amazon.com/Sonora-Symph...id=1480209557&sr=1-1&keywords=Sonora+Symphony

My only request is that when you finish reading it, please return to the site and rate it or give it a brief review.

I sincerely hope that someone - if no more than one - suffering the hidden agony of PTSD finds this to be a help.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Lewdog

Lewdog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,658
    Weed. Many people feel the best way is with weed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,919
    Actually, you're not far off. I go to CO a couple of times a year for the 420 shops, and I hear LOTS of stories from fellow veterans (I always wear my Navy ballcap), who tell me that when they came back, they were on pill regimens of up to 12 pills per day and were suffering side effects from all the medication that had a bad effect on their health.

Lots of them, when CO legalized marijuana for recreational use switched over to marijuana as an alternative method to all the pills. Know what happened to all the people I've talked to? They were able to stop taking so much medicine and their health returned. The calming effect of cannabis (different people have a preference for different varieties) had helped them to deal with their PTSD.

I really think that the VA should look into this. Seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,999
    If used properly with meditation and other soothing pasttimes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,999
    I've read several articles where it is thought marijuana will be considered by the VA when Trump takes office.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Fenton Lum

Fenton Lum Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,691

"Far too many of us - both military and civilian - fail to admit that we were weak enough to fall into the trap of suffering from the things we saw and experienced."

Until we as a society stop referring to being human as weak, and view the suffering of others as a revenue opportunity, I don't look for much to change.

7. Fenton Lum

Fenton Lum Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,691
    Someone'll have to corral Sessions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Great Goose

The Great Goose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,879
    I've got it. I'm terrified all the time from the shit that's happened to me.

9. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,919
    Yep, and I don't think that Trump will be much interested in keeping Sessions at bay on this issue. Trump doesn't drink or do drugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fenton Lum

Fenton Lum Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,691
    Yours is self-inflicted.