TP: Hispanic Evangelicals Threaten To Abandon Republicans Over Immigration

If US Hispanic leaders are taking the side of illegals over that of their supposedly fellow citizens, then they deserve some disrespect.

Well, GOOD LUCK with that one!

Yes, I hope and pray that the GOP makes YOU their PR man in 2016.

Please, trumpet that out to the four corners of the Earth, poste-haste!

So the way you think to handle minorities is to never disagree with them? Or point out when they are in the wrong?

Mmm, I tole Al that when you libs don't call him on his BS that you were showing hiM disrespect because you didn't expect him to be able to understand complex issues.

He didn't believe me.

Maybe he will believe you?

Only, I never said that.

I just don't demonize them.

That's the difference.

Seal the border, stop all immigration until every American who wants a job has a job, Mexican, Asian, whatever.

If US Hispanic leaders are taking the side of illegals over that of their supposedly fellow citizens, then they deserve some disrespect.

So the way you think to handle minorities is to never disagree with them? Or point out when they are in the wrong?

Mmm, I tole Al that when you libs don't call him on his BS that you were showing hiM disrespect because you didn't expect him to be able to understand complex issues.

He didn't believe me.

maybe Al is laughing his ass off at you because you "tole" him.

I am ...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

He didn't believe me.

Only, I never said that.

I just don't demonize them.

That's the difference.

I made a valid complaint, you reacted as though such a complaint would, if voiced by the GOP, be a wonderful thing for you.

Why? What could you possibly be thinking would happen in that scenario, that made you so pleased?

Obviously what I said above.

We can't have a multicultural society if we can't ever have a disagreement without it being characterized as "demonizing" the other.

I

The problem republicans have with Hispanics is not immigration. It's the contempt and disrespect they regularly display against Hispanic culture.

Even if those fellow citizens are demonizing them and have no interest in discriminating between legal citizen and illegal citizens?

The republican party does not like outside cultures. This is often mistaken as racism, but it's really just a case of mass xenophobia. If you're surprised that turns people with links to those cultures off then that's your problem.

DIsmissing any concerns about massive and rapid change as irrational fear is an effect propaganda technique, but not actually true.

Voicing any such concerns is not demonizing those who are causing the changes.

Libs are constantly showing their complete contempt for religious people, demonizing Christians, supporting any number of types of moral decay, such as ABORTION.

These HIspanics are supposedly Evangelicals. THese issues should trump their concerns for interests of foreigners living here illegally.
That must be a pretty easy conclusion for you since the party your asking them to vote for doesn't think you're a menace to the culture and racial makeup of America. :cool:

Rodriguez-638x453.jpg

Samuel Rodriguez, Jr., head of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, speaks to reporters in Houston, Texas on Wednesday.

CREDIT: JACK JENKINS/THINKPROGRESS

Hispanic Evangelicals Threaten To Abandon Republicans Over Immigration ThinkProgress

Note: ThinkProgress is a very Left-Leaning publication, but this story is one that Conservatives should really, really read and digest.

Just a few hours before hearing speeches from likely Republican presidential candidates Jeb Bush and Mike Huckabee, the nation’s largest Hispanic Evangelical organization threw down the gauntlet and called on them and others running for the White House to pledge support for immigration reform.

“Republicans must cross the Jordan of immigration reform to step into the promised land of the Hispanic faith electorate,” said National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference president Sam Rodriguez at a press conference in Houston on Wednesday. “There’s a period there, not a comma. They must.” He then referenced Mitt Romney’s abysmal performance with Latino voters, which Rodriguez tied to his support for “self deportation” policies, as a cautionary tale.

The National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference (NHCLC) leans sharply conservative, with a long history of opposing same-sex marriage and abortion rights. But on the issue of immigration, they align more with President Obama, whose executive actions to protect parents and children from deportation they “reluctantly support.”

The exact text of the pledge has not been revealed, but Rodriguez said it includes four “pillars”: “No amnesty, secure borders, secure families, and an integration process” for the roughly 12 million undocumented people living in the United States. Over the next several months, the group will challenge all presidential candidates to sign on to support comprehensive immigration reform that “secures our values and our families.” If they don’t, Rodriguez warned, “they’re going to discard a vote that has natural tendencies with the GOP.”

That vote emerges out of a rapidly-expanding population of Hispanic Evangelicals, which some estimate is around 5.6 million strong — and growing every year.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), one of the few Democrats to speak at the conference, wryly noted, “One million Latinos turn 18 every year and there’s nothing anybody can do about it. You can’t shut down that faucet. That happens even if there’s not one more immigrant.”

Just to be crystal-clear, this group, The National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference (NHCLC) is a strongly CONSERVATIVE Latino organization and most likely accounted for a great deal of the 27% of the Latino vote that Mitt Romney got in 2012, which was still the second worst performance by a Republican in a two-man race since data for this electoral demographic has been collected:

1976: Carter (D) 82 / Ford (R) 18, margin: Carter +64 (1% of electorate)
1980: Carter (D) 56 / Reagan (R) 37 / Anderson (I) 7, margin: Carter +19 (2% of electorate)
1984: Mondale (D) 66 / Reagan (R) 34, margin: Mondale +32 (3% of electorate)
1988: Dukakis (D) 70 / Bush, Sr. (R) 30, margin: Dukakis +40 (3% of electorate)
1992: Clinton (D) 61 / Bush, Sr. (R) 37 / Perot (I) 14, margin: Clinton +24 (2% of electorate)
1996: Clinton (D) 73 / Dole (R) 21 / Perot (I) 6, margin: Clinton +52 (5% of electorate)
2000: Gore (D) 62 / Bush, Jr. (R) 37 / Nader (I) 2, margin: Gore +25 (7% of electorate)
2004: Kerry (D) 53 / Bush, Jr. (R) 44 / Nader (I) 2, margin: Kerry +9 (8% of electorate)
2008: Obama (D) 67 / McCain (R) 31 /, margin: Obama +36 (9% of electorate)
2012: Obama (D) 71 / Romney (R) 27 /, margin: Obama +44 (10% of electorate)

So, to lose this group does not mean that a Republican would lose his chances of maybe getting to George W. Bush 43's 44% of the Latino vote, as was the case in 2004. It means that if the GOP loses the NHCLC, it's strongest Conservative-Latino advocacy group, then it could easily slip well under 25% of the Latino vote in 2016, which has far-reaching implications for New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Texas and yes, even Georgia.

Gerald Ford did the worst of all in the Latino vote, in 1976. He only got 18%, but at that time, the Latino vote was only 1% of the electorate on election night. Now it's 10 times that much. Tendency: growing.

There is more information at the link, I recommend that everyone take time to read it.

This thread is extremely relevant right now because the NHCLC is holding it's yearly conference in Houston right now, and indeed, some GOP presidential hopefuls are going to speak to the conference today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discuss: Should GOP hopefuls sign "the pledge", or not? Or is that extortion for a vote?
I feel these churches and the illegal immigrants that flee the problems of their "mother land" to cut the greener grass cheaper over here. lol. I think the churches and all the almighty's children would be much better served stopping the problems at home among us all. si or see? we are all deaf dumb and blind to he.

The problem republicans have with Hispanics is not immigration. It's the contempt and disrespect they regularly display against Hispanic culture.

Even if those fellow citizens are demonizing them and have no interest in discriminating between legal citizen and illegal citizens?

The republican party does not like outside cultures. This is often mistaken as racism, but it's really just a case of mass xenophobia. If you're surprised that turns people with links to those cultures off then that's your problem.

DIsmissing any concerns about massive and rapid change as irrational fear is an effect propaganda technique, but not actually true.

Libs are constantly showing their complete contempt for religious people, demonizing Christians, supporting any number of types of moral decay, such as ABORTION.

These HIspanics are supposedly Evangelicals. THese issues should trump their concerns for interests of foreigners living here illegally.
That must be a pretty easy conclusion for you since the party your asking them to vote for doesn't think you're a menace to the culture and racial makeup of America. :cool:

And how easy was it for you to reach the conclusion that the concerns raised by some Republicans about the massive changes facing this nation were nothing but xenophobia?

Just to be clear simply because the leadership of a group or even the majority of one says do this does not mean everyone is required to do it. I don't believe this group speaks for every Hispanic or can force them to vote how they want or to stay home on Election Day.

And how easy was it for you to reach the conclusion that the concerns raised by some Republicans about the massive changes facing this nation were nothing but xenophobia?
Oh they have real concerns yes, but those are hidden behind the wall of xenophobia they display. For example at a republican immigration rally what sign do you think you're more likely to see: "Give those jobs to Americans," or "learn english or leave?."

And Jeb Bush (R-FL) has spoken to those Latino Evangelicals:

Jeb Bush courts Hispanic evangelicals in Texas - CNNPolitics.com

With his parents sitting in the front row, Jeb Bush addressed an audience of Hispanic evangelicals on Wednesday, calling for policies that would let undocumented immigrants "come out from the shadows."

The values-heavy address at the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference in Houston focused on the importance of the family unit and pushed for an America that's more engaged in the world. The former Florida governor also used his speech to criticize President Barack Obama for not fighting hard enough to protect Christians who are facing attacks overseas.

In his likely presidential campaign, Bush is poised to compete heavily for Hispanic voters, thanks in part to his fluency in Spanish and his assimilation into the Hispanic community. His wife is from Mexico and he frequently talks about his bicultural family...

...An advocate for legal status for undocumented immigrants, Bush has come under fire from conservatives for appearing too lenient on the issue. The former governor has also been an advocate for more legal immigration, while his closest rival in the race, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, has started calling for tighter restrictions on legal immigration.

Bush said the immigration system needs to be fixed by controlling the borders, but he also called for dealing with the estimated 11 million undocumented workers already in the country.

"Eleven million people that should come out from the shadows and receive earned legal status -- where they pay a fine, where they work, where they do what they want to do, which is come out from the shadows, work, provide for their families, not receive government assistance, and over a period of time be able to receive earned legal status," he said.

So, Jeb Bush is advocating for exactly the same kind of immigration reform that President Obama has been proposing. EXACTLY.

Oh they have real concerns yes, but those are hidden behind the wall of xenophobia they display. For example at a republican immigration rally what sign do you think you're more likely to see: "Give those jobs to Americans," or "learn english or leave?."

Both are valid concerns.

Economic and Cultural issues.

Neither are signs of xenophobia.

And on the same day as this conference, the Republicans are pulling this stunt in the HOR:

House Republicans still want to rip out the 14th amendment.... US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Which is, of course, not lost on the Latino community:

Activists Label GOP Immigration Agenda Mass Deportation - NBC News

On the same day that House Republicans were holding a hearing on whether people born in the U.S. should get automatic citizenship, immigration and civil rights activists affixed that brand to Republicans in Congress and by extension, the party's 2016 hopefuls.

"The GOP-controlled Congress has all but cemented its anti-immigrant legacy and may meet its destiny in 2016," the activists said in a report they released Wednesday with the words "Mass Deportation" stamped on the report's cover in bright yellow letters. The report was produced by the Alliance for Citizenship.

The cover has photos of several congressional members and juxtaposes a photo of Sen. Ted Cruz, who is seeking the GOP presidential nomination, with a photo of Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, who has made headlines for years by labeling immigrants as drug mules and suggesting they be stopped at the border with electrified fences...

,,,Clarissa Martinez de Castro, a deputy vice president at the National Council of La Raza, said there's still time for Republican candidates to better define their immigration agendas, but she said "it's not looking bright right now" since several have opposed President Barack Obama's use of executive authority to protect millions from deportation.

"So far, the only record (of the GOP) is a mass deportation strategy and that begs the question: Are the candidates in the same place?" she said.

The activists refer in the report to the House GOP as the "Deport Them All" caucus that they say is holding nativist debates, holding public anti-immigrant votes that go nowhere with no chance of becoming law, promoting witnesses from hate groups and threatening to shut down the Department of Homeland Security.
Clarissa Martinez de Castro, a deputy vice president at the National Council of La Raza, said there's still time for Republican candidates to better define their immigration agendas, but she said "it's not looking bright right now" since several have opposed President Barack Obama's use of executive authority to protect millions from deportation.

All republicans entered this country with Green Cards. My Great-great grandfather had one signed by Chief Running Deer. The story in the family is that it cost him a jug of whiskey to obtain.

So, the OP's conclusion is that if Republicans aren't Democrats then they won't get the votes of Hispanic Evangelicals, whom are apparently told whom to vote for by their religious leaders?

Actually, I did not say that at all.

I reported what the NHCLC is saying.

Well.. I thought you might be making some leaps. But I commend you for bringing it up and the work you did.

So, the OP's conclusion is that if Republicans aren't Democrats then they won't get the votes of Hispanic Evangelicals, whom are apparently told whom to vote for by their religious leaders?

Actually, I did not say that at all.

I reported what the NHCLC is saying.

Well.. I thought you might be making some leaps. But I commend you for bringing it up and the work you did.

Thanks.

Looks like Jeb Bush is proposing exactly what Pres. Obama has been proposing.

I wonder how that is going to play with hard-core Conservatives in the GOP.

And the way the Right howls on threads like this one, also on this one:

House Republicans still want to rip out the 14th amendment.... Page 2 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

can sure explain why they are permanently losing the Latino vote.

Why do you assume that Latinos put shared skin color ahead of shared Americanness?

Are you a racist?

Rhetorical question. Since denial is proof by the act of asking the question I have proved that you are a racist.

See, I'm learning.

Maybe I should make a dumb ass looking clown avatar?

And the way the Right howls on threads like this one, also on this one:

House Republicans still want to rip out the 14th amendment.... Page 2 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

can sure explain why they are permanently losing the Latino vote.

Why do you assume that Latinos put shared skin color ahead of shared Americanness?

Are you a racist?

Rhetorical question. Since denial is proof by the act of asking the question I have proved that you are a racist.

See, I'm learning.

Maybe I should make a dumb ass looking clown avatar?

No, Latinos very likely do not do that.
No, I am not a racist. I am not as you are.

Now, go play with your tonka toys.

Forum List

Back