Town halls gone wild

A local radio station sent a reporter out to one of these town halls to report on the goings on. They interviewed him about whether there was any indication this is an "organized" effort. He said there were no buses. There was nobody herding anyone around. There were just individual cars and individual people. The people didn't seem to know each other or try to be collective in any way.

Our representative is choosing not to hold a town hall meeting. He is a Dem in a district that has been republican for the last 14 years. He can probably tell how it would go if he did have one. OpenCongress says he votes party line 99% of the time. Not a good plan in a very marginal district. That's ok, the last Dem to hold this seat was a one termer too.

Of course not - where did I say that even remotely?

You and I both know there are limits on free speech (for example - you can't yell "fire" in a theatre when there is no fire) - and no where did I say they should "shut the hell up" did I? I said people should behave politely and professionally sponsored agitators such as these aren't doing that nor do they want to since their aim is disruption. As such - I have every right to use my "free speech" to tell them to shut the fuck up and wait their turn so I can hear what people are trying to say without others trying to drown them out.

I recall instances where leftist protestors for Bush events were turned away for wearing obnoxious t-shirts or relegated to "free speech" zones well away from the main events. Where was your outrage then?

I did not say "coerced" - I said organized and funded by, and I and others have offered links showing that in that regard they are no different then moveon.org and Code Pink's "grassroots" protesters. In fact - no one seems to be able to refute that fact except by trying to draw distinctions between "their" movements and Code Pink or Moveon.org - distinctions that are more semantical then substantive.

P.S. - I don't have a party.

Of course it's my opinion - this whole thread is about "opinion" more than fact: opinions that say their movements are some how holier-than-thou, more rightious and authentically "grass roots" when we all know it's astroturf every step of the way. Just follow the money. And I have not questioned their "right" to do so any more then you have. I'm just saying I have a just as much a right to tell them to shut up so I can hear the voices they are trying to drown out.

And that, my friend - is my right too.

I still see no evidence of any of it being organized or funded by any corporation or political group, yet you keep saying that is was. All I am asking for is what your source is for even saying such a thing? Show me the money trail that you keep saying is in existance. Where are you getting this information?
They have a memo.....from...ah...somewhere. If I remember right.

Yeah, so I've heard. :lol: I'm talking about the blatant and obvious money trail that keeps popping it's ugly head up in left leaning posts.

Indeed, while at this site there seems few on the left that are concerned about the attempts to stifle speech and discourse, many others 'not on the right', including vast numbers of moderate Democrats and independents join in the concern about a lack of freedoms.

If the administration, together with the DNC continues this planned effort to shut down communication, there will be a backlash, that may well prove difficult to control.

Injecting ACORN and fox news into a thread about Town Hall Meetings.

I don't see the correlation, unless you're simply playing the party hack.

Fox news has been brought up several times as they are one of the primary (vocal) sponsors of "Tea Parties" and this Town hall stuff.

Talking about that has nothing to do with being a "party hack".

Fox News is a "Sponsor" of the Tea Parties?

Link please.

Sponsor: (verb) back up, support...promote
"Fair and balanced" Fox News aggressively promotes "tea party" protests

Glenn Beck and Fox News Sponsoring "Tea Parties"

Fox promoting anti-health reform disruptions of town halls

(but others (right-leaning) aren't?)
An definite assumption on your part but since she wasn't addressing the issue from a right leaning position there was no need for me to address her from that perspective.
try parsing the sentence, not reading in to it.

And how do you know that? You're full of parsing but methinks it is you who is "reading into" something by extracting only those words that support your notion that she is a "partisan" hack and overlooking discussions of Acorn or Fox from other (right leaning) posters.

That's not parsing.

Fox news has been brought up several times as they are one of the primary (vocal) sponsors of "Tea Parties" and this Town hall stuff.

Link please.

JUST WHAT KIND OF A DUMBASS ARE YOU????

You post two links to Media Matters???? That discredited piece of shit site? It's lucky the IRS hasn't shut them down for violating their 501 (c)(3) status. As they say in Jamaica, "Soon come, mon"

And then you top that off with a link to a comedian's site. WTF?????

Is this what passes for legitimate information to you???? I'll bet you're one the 8% of people who actually respond to spam ads.

Get out of here until you have something legit.

Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds ‘Some Attendees Admit They Don’t Live In The District’

Last night, Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) hosted a rowdy town hall meeting to discuss health care reform. Fox’s local Houston affiliate reporter, Duarte Geraldino, reported that he talked to the participants and found that “some attendees admit they don’t live in the district.” How did they get there? Geraldino noted “an internet campaign” by far right activists urging their allies to attend and heckle Democratic Representatives. Geraldino then aired a clip showing one participant acting disrespectfully towards Rep. Green. “Pay close attention to the man behind the congressman,” Geraldino says in this clip, “he seems to have forgotten the part about respect.” Watch it:

The crowd was so disrespectful that one frustrated attendee said he had come to the town hall with the intention of giving Rep. Green “a really hard time,” but changed his mind because he was fed up with another man who was “screaming behind my head for the last hour.” The attendee continued, “This is a free country, but I think there’s a certain degree of respect” required. “I won’t be quiet! I won’t sit down! And I won’t let this happen on my watch,” responded the angry conservative activist.

Entire article and video: Think Progress » Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds ‘Some Attendees Admit They Don’t Live In The District’

You post two links to Media Matters???? That discredited piece of shit site? It's lucky the IRS hasn't shut them down for violating their 501 (c)(3) status. As they say in Jamaica, "Soon come, mon"

Is this what passes for legitimate information to you???? I'll bet you're one the 8% of people who actually respond to spam ads.

Legit? You mean like Fox News or Hannity or Limbaugh?

Link please.

mediamatters and colbert?

:lol: please, you're killing me. what's WND's position, that's every bit as meaningful.

Injecting ACORN and fox news into a thread about Town Hall Meetings.

I don't see the correlation, unless you're simply playing the party hack.

Link please.

Are you serious?? Didn't foxnews send their programs out to tea parties and hold events as well as provide entertainment?? I seem to remember hannity broadcasting live at a tea party with his show and he brought a performer to basically give a free concert.
It should be more than obvious to anyone with common sense that foxnews was trying to talk and prop the tea parties up with all of the attention they gave to them.

Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds ‘Some Attendees Admit They Don’t Live In The District’

Last night, Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) hosted a rowdy town hall meeting to discuss health care reform. Fox’s local Houston affiliate reporter, Duarte Geraldino, reported that he talked to the participants and found that “some attendees admit they don’t live in the district.” How did they get there? Geraldino noted “an internet campaign” by far right activists urging their allies to attend and heckle Democratic Representatives. Geraldino then aired a clip showing one participant acting disrespectfully towards Rep. Green. “Pay close attention to the man behind the congressman,” Geraldino says in this clip, “he seems to have forgotten the part about respect.” Watch it:

The crowd was so disrespectful that one frustrated attendee said he had come to the town hall with the intention of giving Rep. Green “a really hard time,” but changed his mind because he was fed up with another man who was “screaming behind my head for the last hour.” The attendee continued, “This is a free country, but I think there’s a certain degree of respect” required. “I won’t be quiet! I won’t sit down! And I won’t let this happen on my watch,” responded the angry conservative activist.

Entire article and video: Think Progress » Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds ‘Some Attendees Admit They Don’t Live In The District’

Do you think this might be as successful as Rushbo's "Operation Chaos"?

:lol: please, you're killing me. what's WND's position, that's every bit as meaningful.

WND is crap.

What would you consider a "meaningful" source? Simply watching Fox news would pretty much support what I said in that they sponsor those protests. You might not like MM but they provide links to the original material so you can draw your own conclusions, if you wanted to bother.

WND is crap.

What would you consider a "meaningful" source? Simply watching Fox news would pretty much support what I said in that they sponsor those protests. You might not like MM but they provide links to the original material so you can draw your own conclusions, if you wanted to bother.

i went to their page, they also accuse the AP of supporting the town hall "disruptors". pretty hard to take that kind of raw partisan stupidity seriously.
colbert's a funny guy. again, not particularly meaningful.

sorry.

sorry.

Link please.

LOL, you ask for links and you get links, then you whine about the links. However, there was a post of yours on the previous page where you mention a "local" reporter and yet I saw no links and very little specifics. I wonder why??

WND is crap.

i went to their page, they also accuse the AP of supporting the town hall "disruptors". pretty hard to take that kind of raw partisan stupidity seriously.
colbert's a funny guy. again, not particularly meaningful.

sorry.

sorry.

Simply watching Fox pretty much supports their "sponsoring" of these things - they are constantly going on about it.

Another poster mentioned Fox sent reporters out to tea parties, held events, and provided entertainment -- hannity broadcasting live at a tea party etc. etc. : Atlanta Tea Party: Sean Hannity to Broadcast Live from the Atlanta Tea Party

What more do you need to conclude that yes, they sponsor those events?

Is Hannity a reporter or part of Fox News?

He's part of Fox.

Here are some more links on Fox's excessive coverage (and promotion) of Tea Parties:
News Coverage Of 'Tea Parties' Raises Concern : NPR

Or, how about Fox's 107 ads promoting Tea Parties?

Or, how about Fox News airing on-screen text describing "tea party" protests that Fox News hosts will be attending as "FNC Tax Day Tea Parties." - or, view it on video Beck says you can "celebrate with Fox News" at any of four "FNC Tax Day Tea Parties" | Media Matters for America

Yes - it's Media Matters but it provides sources to it's claims and no one seems able to dispute the facts they present - if you can provide actual facts that say this isn't so, I'll listen but so far you all only seem able to attack the source, not the claims.

I agree there are some sources that are crap - but if they link to original sources, then at least you can figure out any spin for yourself or look further for more information.

Is Hannity a reporter or part of Fox News?

He's part of Fox.

Here are some more links on Fox's excessive coverage (and promotion) of Tea Parties:
News Coverage Of 'Tea Parties' Raises Concern : NPR

Or, how about Fox's 107 ads promoting Tea Parties?

Or, how about Fox News airing on-screen text describing "tea party" protests that Fox News hosts will be attending as "FNC Tax Day Tea Parties." - or, view it on video Beck says you can "celebrate with Fox News" at any of four "FNC Tax Day Tea Parties" | Media Matters for America

Yes - it's Media Matters but it provides sources to it's claims and no one seems able to dispute the facts they present - if you can provide actual facts that say this isn't so, I'll listen but so far you all only seem able to attack the source, not the claims.

I agree there are some sources that are crap - but if they link to original sources, then at least you can figure out any spin for yourself or look further for more information.

He's not part of Fox News. Tell me, whenever Glen Beck was on CNN, was he representative of what their network and news broadcasts supported as well?

And how do you know that? You're full of parsing but methinks it is you who is "reading into" something by extracting only those words that support your notion that she is a "partisan" hack and overlooking discussions of Acorn or Fox from other (right leaning) posters.

That's not parsing.

It's called using one's cognitive abilities (based on knowledge, reason amd logic) to determine what specifically I am addressing. (As opposed to using emotionally tainted deductive reasoning) Why would I address her from a right leaning position when her position wasn't right leaning? As for "overlooking discussions", what does that have to do with my response to her, or you for that matter. I wasn't addressing those discussions in my reply.
Therefore there can only be one conclussion: You are projecting (reading in) your own personal bias into my response and making uninformed and mis-deduced inferances.

Try again

Forum List

Back