Tough on crime?

Gurdari

Egaliterra
Feb 2, 2007
the West
Just curious who here feels we should be tough on crime, and enforce the laws.

And if those same people feel that way about international law - and getting tough on those crimes as well?

Just curious who here feels we should be tough on crime, and enforce the laws.

And if those same people feel that way about international law - and getting tough on those crimes as well?

The US generally has the harshest penalties for crime out of any developed nation in the world.

And the highest crime rate out of any developed nation in the world.

If there is one thing we aren't, it is "soft on crime".

What I was looking for was the comparison between how one 'does' crime and punishment nationally, and how they act when it comes to International law... the same or different?

That being said, do you think America is tough on crime internationally?

What I was looking for was the comparison between how one 'does' crime and punishment nationally, and how they act when it comes to International law... the same or different?

That being said, do you think America is tough on crime internationally?

How could America be tough on crime internationally?

That would be like Mississippi being tough on crime interstatedly.

The US generally has the harshest penalties for crime out of any developed nation in the world.

And the highest crime rate out of any developed nation in the world.

If there is one thing we aren't, it is "soft on crime".

Given our crime rates, apparently we aren't tough enough.

How could America be tough on crime internationally?

That would be like Mississippi being tough on crime interstatedly.

Well, not exactly... As a veto bearing member of the UN, and as the largest most advanced army, and with a record of discussing and enforcing UN resolutions with other nations, the US is far more able to affect International Law than Ol' Miss affecting laws, um... inter-statedly.

Do you think International Law is important? Do you think all nations should be encouraged to adhere to it? or maybe disregard it altogether?

Just wondering

Not too sure if nations that are 'soft' on crime (whatever that means - but let's assume it means some lefty hug it out approach) actually have more crime than those nations who are 'tough' on crime (again, not sure what that means - but let's assume it's some hard nosed callous throw away the key approach).

Saw a thing about Malaysia, or Singapore (I forget exactly) where the people are one of the happiest in the world... and they have VERY strict laws (caning and more) and even have laws relating to chewing gum...

and another nation (I think it was Denmark?) was fairly lefty/tolerant and also very happy - but with a clearly less rigid approach to law/crime.

Not too sure if nations that are 'soft' on crime (whatever that means - but let's assume it means some lefty hug it out approach) actually have more crime than those nations who are 'tough' on crime (again, not sure what that means - but let's assume it's some hard nosed callous throw away the key approach).

Saw a thing about Malaysia, or Singapore (I forget exactly) where the people are one of the happiest in the world... and they have VERY strict laws (caning and more) and even have laws relating to chewing gum...

and another nation (I think it was Denmark?) was fairly lefty/tolerant and also very happy - but with a clearly less rigid approach to law/crime.

People in Malaysia aren't happy. I've talked to them before.

Singapore is basically a dictatorship.

Exactly. America really misses the big picture. We have humongous penalties for even minor crimes and it does nothing to deter crime... what does that tell you? Change the approach. Don't be insane and try more of what's clearly not working.

Actually, if we imprisoned people and actually left them there, we wouldn't have such a big problem.

It's bouncing them in and out that causes a problem.

Actually, if we imprisoned people and actually left them there, we wouldn't have such a big problem.

It's bouncing them in and out that causes a problem.

America has more prisoners per capita than any other nation on Earth, and we have by far the toughest habitual offender laws. People don't "bounce in and out" whenever their imprison for life for stealing a tire.

Our numbers are largely dependent upon the numbers of illegals stuffing our institutions.

Unfortunately, the majority of the drug offenders aren't in jail because they deal. They're in jail for the idiotic things they do while under the influence.

Unfortunately, the majority of the drug offenders aren't in jail because they deal. They're in jail for the idiotic things they do while under the influence.

Could you please stop with your anecedotal "evidence"?

Clearly, if someone did something while under the influence of a drug, it wouldn't be classified as a "drug crime".

Nope. It still beats the hell out of no evidence at all, which is what you offer.

Nope. It still beats the hell out of no evidence at all, which is what you offer.

Incarceration rates:

400px-Incarceration_Rates_Worldwide_ZP.svg.png

Distribution amongst the races:

Lifetime_prevalence_of_incarceration.png

Murder rates:

2_e.gif

You are a man completely full of fear and sensationalism.

I'm not a man, either.

I clicked on your link. It brought me to a meaningless graph, which provided no information, explanation, or author.

Forum List

Back