Top quality US education, why the US is going down

Oh, well, that's wonderful. Maybe if the Russians educated themselves a little more, they'd understand the truth.

Of course, I can't talk about the whole education, but in the field of information technology, computer science, mathematics, I believe that US education is the best.

The biggest problem here is how you measure education.

How do you quantify education?

You go to the UK. Oxford and Cambridge are the best universities, right? Are they? Will you get better teaching at Oxford and Cambridge rather than other universities? How can you compare?

The simple answer is you don't compare. You can't unless you go to them all and see and then judge.

What US universities do is ADVERTISE, they essentially tell people they're better.

Yes, sometimes they can attract the "best" professors. But how do you quantify a professor? Some are good at research and really bad at teaching, but you think you're getting the best teaching because.... well because someone has told you that you're getting the best.

Essentially a degree from Harvard goes a long way. Not because of the professors, the teaching etc, but because of the prestige. You're showing the world how good you are because you have this degree. Not because you got the best teaching. Potentially many of those who have done well at Harvard, would have done just as well anywhere else. They'd have learned stuff too, and potentially learned the same stuff. There will be exceptions, when a professor is amazing or whatever, but that can happen anywhere.

For example, I went to a university. I studied politics for one course. The professor was actually the politics professor at a better university. So, I got the education from the better university, but the degree from the not so good university.

What matters?
Higher education in the USA, particularly at Ivy League schools, it more about indoctrination rather than education. Grade inflation is also a huge problem.

This is why the American ruling class, most of it from the Ivy League, is NOT our best and brightest.

Well, that would depend on what you deem to be "indoctrination".

Oh, well, that's wonderful. Maybe if the Russians educated themselves a little more, they'd understand the truth.

Of course, I can't talk about the whole education, but in the field of information technology, computer science, mathematics, I believe that US education is the best.

You go to the UK. Oxford and Cambridge are the best universities, right? Are they? Will you get better teaching at Oxford and Cambridge rather than other universities? How can you compare?

The simple answer is you don't compare. You can't unless you go to them all and see and then judge.

What US universities do is ADVERTISE, they essentially tell people they're better.

Yes, sometimes they can attract the "best" professors. But how do you quantify a professor? Some are good at research and really bad at teaching, but you think you're getting the best teaching because.... well because someone has told you that you're getting the best.

Essentially a degree from Harvard goes a long way. Not because of the professors, the teaching etc, but because of the prestige. You're showing the world how good you are because you have this degree. Not because you got the best teaching. Potentially many of those who have done well at Harvard, would have done just as well anywhere else. They'd have learned stuff too, and potentially learned the same stuff. There will be exceptions, when a professor is amazing or whatever, but that can happen anywhere.

For example, I went to a university. I studied politics for one course. The professor was actually the politics professor at a better university. So, I got the education from the better university, but the degree from the not so good university.

What matters?
Higher education in the USA, particularly at Ivy League schools, it more about indoctrination rather than education. Grade inflation is also a huge problem.

This is why the American ruling class, most of it from the Ivy League, is NOT our best and brightest.

Belief in the all knowing all perfect State, run by a small group of elitists who benefit mightily.

Thus...the ruling class is assured to be continuously stocked with generation after generation of statists.

What matters?

Belief in the all knowing all perfect State, run by a small group of elitists who benefit mightily.

Thus...the ruling class is assured to be continuously stocked with generation after generation of statists.

Maybe, but what's the alternative?

Somalia?

maybe someone said it, but it was also Atlanta where EIGHT teachers were sentenced to prison for cheating for the students!!!!
idiots!! these are TEACHERS.....!!??!!
APS-520x317.png

Judge cuts Atlanta teachers sentences in cheating trial

poor kids

Last edited:
Did the US education system make Facebook? Not really. The guy who made it bailed out of university.
At least he graduated from school and completed some programming courses (if Wikipedia doesn't lie)

Look at China, they have some of the richest people in the world. You get the CCP on your side, and you can get a monopoly and you're going to be massively rich. This money then can be used to make more money, put money into development and the like.
Yes, China is working to improve its education, and has some success.

It can be if it's misleading people into thinking they're getting a better education than they actually are.

I don't agree with this, if you really want to study, then, of course, it is better to study at university with the best (or one of the best) professors. For example, Harvard may attract laureates of the Paul Medal to give a lecture on mathematics at the university, but, for example, some kind of Bulgarian university can not.

However most don't care. They're not interested in getting an education, they're interested in the potential a degree for that university can give them.

Perhaps the main problem is that people really aren't interested in getting a good education.
A little bit off topic now there is a lot of talk about the fact that the current American boxing heavyweight division is dead and we will never see a new Ali, Foreman, Tyson. One explanation is that the big "black guys" now live not bad, that would go into the ring and get punches in the face for the amusement of the public. So, it is possible that similar things happen to education.

Did the US education system make Facebook? Not really. The guy who made it bailed out of university.
At least he graduated from school and completed some programming courses (if Wikipedia doesn't lie)

Look at China, they have some of the richest people in the world. You get the CCP on your side, and you can get a monopoly and you're going to be massively rich. This money then can be used to make more money, put money into development and the like.
Yes, China is working to improve its education, and has some success.

It can be if it's misleading people into thinking they're getting a better education than they actually are.

I don't agree with this, if you really want to study, then, of course, it is better to study at university with the best (or one of the best) professors. For example, Harvard may attract laureates of the Paul Medal to give a lecture on mathematics at the university, but, for example, some kind of Bulgarian university can not.

However most don't care. They're not interested in getting an education, they're interested in the potential a degree for that university can give them.

Perhaps the main problem is that people really aren't interested in getting a good education.
A little bit off topic now there is a lot of talk about the fact that the current American boxing heavyweight division is dead and we will never see a new Ali, Foreman, Tyson. One explanation is that the big "black guys" now live not bad, that would go into the ring and get punches in the face for the amusement of the public. So, it is possible that similar things happen to education.

Yes, he finished school and he learned programming. I don't know how much programming he learned at school, but probably not that much.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Mark-Zuckerberg-and-Bill-Gates-learn-coding

According to this his father taught him.

Facts about the Internet genius and billionaire behind Facebook

This one too. His father paid for private lessons for him. US education system? No.

Bill Gates, apparently, learned computer programming because his school had a computer. I didn't learn computer programming until I was 16, Gates didn't start until the mothers' club bought the computer when he was in 8th grade. But he was at a private prep school anyway. It wasn't the US education system that trained him, it was a private school.

China's education is about producing robots. Kids are studying like 12 hours a day or more. They study during Spring Festival, during October Holiday, during the summer, they're always studying. Most Chinese kids struggle to think for themselves. If you get a Chinese kid to do the American SATs they'll struggle unless they spend a lot of time studying, or they go to an international school. The CCP doesn't want thinkers, it wants robots.

China is rising because these workers are very good at working. They're more efficient than US workers, partly because they're from a second world economy, partly because of a mentality.

Yes, if you really want to study, it is best to study with the best. I took some German at University (from beginners level) and even went to a German University for a year. We had a new professor from Austria turn up. She tried to explain some German grammar to someone else in the class but couldn't get her point across. I had to explain it, because I, as an undergrad, could explain German grammar better than a university professor.

Also had another professor who was so boring I wanted to kill myself in his class. Luckily he had a heart attack before he was going to teach me one course, but then we got someone else who was probably just as useless. And the heart attack's wife also taught there, and I, along with others, boycotted her classes because it was a waste of time.

Maybe a university like Harvard wouldn't have such bad professors. But I'm not so sure. Sometimes these people are well renowned, but they can't teach for shit.

David Starkey: Jamie's Dream School was a lesson I'll never forget

David Starkey is one of the UK's most well known professors. Jamie Oliver is a Chef and social campaigner. Oliver thought it'd be a great idea to stick a great historian in a class with a bunch of flunkers to inspire them. The reality is the flunkers controlled that class.

He taught at the London School of Economics, but couldn't motivate High School students. Was he a good professor at the London School of Economics, or was it just his name which got people's respect, rather than his teaching?

Yes, the US is a different place than in the 1960s. But then again in the last then years three heavy weight boxing champions have been British. Britain has less of a problem with black poverty than the US does. Why did these guys come through? Other champions have been from New Zealand and Australia and the US had Charles Martin.

What propels people to do well? Certainly poverty can push some people. Brazilian footballers, for example, are mostly born into poverty. But then again there's often more to it. Perhaps heavy weight boxing was big in the US in the 1960s and now it's less so. People grow up doing other stuff.

Public schools are great around here, high property taxes to pay for it though. Worth it IMO. I don't have kids and it doesn't bother me. Rather not be a shithole like Kansas etc.

What matters?

Somalia?
Yeah...small minds can only think in small ways.

What matters?

Somalia?

It's a difficult situation. What system is going to work?

I'm a proponent of Proportional Representation because it allows people to have more of a voice.

Problem is many people are stupid. They vote for nothing much. They don't know the impact of policies on the country. They vote for short term measures.
So, take out the stupid people's votes and then you get government which doesn't try to help the poor people. They just help themselves.

Or you have the US where the stupid people vote for the interests of the rich.

How do you get a government which tries to do the best thing for the whole country?

Tell me if you have the answer, because I don't. I have better systems and worse systems, but they're all bad.

Somalia?

I'm a proponent of Proportional Representation because it allows people to have more of a voice.

Problem is many people are stupid. They vote for nothing much. They don't know the impact of policies on the country. They vote for short term measures.
So, take out the stupid people's votes and then you get government which doesn't try to help the poor people. They just help themselves.

How do you get a government which tries to do the best thing for the whole country?

Tell me if you have the answer, because I don't. I have better systems and worse systems, but they're all bad.
Government as it is practiced today, doesn't work for the vast majority of Americans. It is an old outdated system that needs termination.

That said, we have a big media, big college, big hospital, big pharma, big business all co-opted by greed. They do what big government tells them to do and in turn, receive government protection resulting in enormous profits.

It is all about the money. Screw the people.

We need to eliminate government...entirely and start over.

Somalia?

Government as it is practiced today, doesn't work for the vast majority of Americans. It is an old outdated system that needs termination.

That said, we have a big media, big college, big hospital, big pharma, big business all co-opted by greed. They do what big government tells them to do and in turn, receive government protection resulting in enormous profits.

Eliminate govt and start over. Again. How?

Unless you have an answer that is better, then you've got nothing.

Somalia?

Sorry I can't be the answer man for you. I wish I had all the answers, but I don't. I do know that the government we have today is evil. I don't like evil. I want to terminate evil.

Somalia?

Sorry I can't be the answer man for you. I wish I had all the answers, but I don't. I do know that the government we have today is evil. I don't like evil. I want to terminate evil.

Yes, I feel the same.

So, for want of a better system, Proportional Representation is at least a start that could have a big impact on the US, open up representatives to being more in tune with the people, at the very least.

Yes, I feel the same.

So, for want of a better system, Proportional Representation is at least a start that could have a big impact on the US, open up representatives to being more in tune with the people, at the very least.
Maybe, but I tend to think the USA needs to be cut up into multiple very small city states. The smaller government is, the less likely to become corrupt and tyrannical. I know I am dreaming as this is very unlikely to ever happen.

26904281_1794841400812716_5123773963635937042_n.jpg

This is Bolton Academy in Atlanta.

Bolton Academy - 2268 Adams Dr NW, Atlanta, GA - Trulia

In English this "Academy" gets 38% of meeting or exceeding standards.
In Math 37%
In Science 31%
In Social Studies 30%

I wonder why.

We're on the same page here!

Because the Democrat Party has controlled our "education" system and has perfected the art of graduating classes less capable, less informed and more government dependent than the last.

I give them credit for finding a way to make us pay to practice intellectual pedophilia

The Department of Education needs to have one and only one function: hand out educational vouchers that are only redeemable at certified schools

Last edited:

Yes, I feel the same.

Maybe, but I tend to think the USA needs to be cut up into multiple very small city states. The smaller government is, the less likely to become corrupt and tyrannical. I know I am dreaming as this is very unlikely to ever happen.

Well, personally I think it would be great if the world were full of smaller countries. The problem here is China. China has a population 4 times the size of the US. Even with the population of Europe AND the US and Canada and Australia and New Zealand, China is still more populous. Someone has to stand in the way of China otherwise it'll take over the world.

Yes, a new world order would be great, but it isn't going to happen.

So, the best bet is to have a govt that actually listens slightly to the people, rather than not at all.

In Math 37%
In Science 31%
In Social Studies 30%

I wonder why.

Because the Democrat Party has controlled our "education" system and has perfected the art of graduating classes less capable, less informed and more government dependent than the last.

I give them credit for finding a way to make us pay to practice intellectual pedophilia

The Department of Education needs to have one and only one function: hand out educational vouchers that are only redeemable at certified schools

The problem is that both parties are responsible for this. It's just the Republicans tend to view education with suspicion, which is really weird, that doesn't make them any less responsible.

In Math 37%
In Science 31%
In Social Studies 30%

I wonder why.

The problem is that both parties are responsible for this. It's just the Republicans tend to view education with suspicion, which is really weird, that doesn't make them any less responsible.

Agreed! Both parties benefit from having uninformed citizens

Anyone who has ever taught something (either as a credentialed teacher to a class or an ordinary person to his/her colleagues) knows that teaching is one of the most satisfying professions in the world.

Nothing is more wonderful than your formal/informal students thanking you for successfully helping them to advance in some particular field of study.

Many secondary public school teachers would love to provide their students with a world-class education.

But they can't.

So many public schools nowadays have horrific discipline problems. A sizable proportion of high school students are defiant, disruptive, and even violent.

Teachers in those schools try to get through the day by ignoring as much as they can.

They never get a chance to teach the good students.

Forum List

Back