Top 20 Superhero Movies

One thing that really bugs me about the X-Men movies is the downgrading (and degrading) of Cyclops. He has always been the team leader and is a very strong character.

In the movies he's treated with no respect, and his importance to the team is diminished.

Thought all the X-men movies have been shit - especially the first one. Hoping the Days of Future Past lives up to the comic book arc. That was awesome...

i wont go that far....its just the guys making them seem to think they know whats best and so many times....they are wrong,especially casting the parts and the characterization of the characters....like the Thomas Jane "Punisher" movie....outside of the title and the leads name....where did it resemble the comic?....

I started collecting X-men in 1979. I have all the issues from the relaunch through until 500, including Giant Size 1, so it is close to my heart. I even have about 25 issues pre #94 (the relaunch), the earliest being number 10. While not a complete originalist (I don't see Angel, Iceman or The Beast as integral members for the movies), I do see Cyclops, Jean Grey (in any form - Phoenix, Marvel Girl whatever), Colossus, Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler as essential. Storm, Wolverine and Jean Grey certainly get their screen time, and Cyclops does. However, Nightcrawler and Colossus get hardly any and that really bugs me.

One thing that really bugs me about the X-Men movies is the downgrading (and degrading) of Cyclops. He has always been the team leader and is a very strong character.

In the movies he's treated with no respect, and his importance to the team is diminished.

Thought all the X-men movies have been shit - especially the first one. Hoping the Days of Future Past lives up to the comic book arc. That was awesome...

Especially the first one? I think you mean especially the third one. ;)

No, no, no, no, no! The first one. Second one was good. Third one okay at best..

many have kept at least pretty true to the original premise.....but then there are some where.... why was it even made?....the last Spiderman was more true to the story than Rami's movies.....i thought the first Superman was good except for the way they did Luthor....the second was a true Superman adventure until they fired Donner and that jerk that finished it took over....i think his name was Fleishman...or something.....he fucked it up....i did not think DareDevil was as bad as everyone said....the first Ghost Rider was not as bad as the "critics" said it was....lots of them need better scrip writers and directors that at least have read a comic or 2....Ang Lee said he was not familiar with the Hulk at all.....so why put him in as director?...

Daredevil was horrible. The critics were right. Ghostrider was OK, but was a huge let down!

What do you think was horrible about it?

I didn't like the story. Affleck was weak in the role. The plot sucked and the flow was boring. The action scenes blew. the climax was dull. Elektra was a weak sideshow hero! I thought Bullseye was done all wrong. All and all horrible movie!

I beg to differ. The first one was awesome and the second actually exceeded it. I enjoyed the 3rd one and didn't understand why it received all the criticism. Wolverine I was OK. Wolverine was my favorite superhero, so I still enjoyed it. Wolverine II wasn't that bad, but was all subpar.

The First Class was awesome!

I have never read a Superman or Batman comic. When I collected comics in my youth, I collected Xmen, Spiderman, Wolverine, Spawn, Supreme, Shadow Hawk (liked image for a while) and then various other for a while. Never a DC guy, so I don't have the same views. Therefore, I go back to my same views on Man of Steel
Back in my day, the comics I read were The Furry Freak Brothers, Mr. Natural, and Fritz the Cat. Great super heroes. Never saw a movie of them, but I think there might have been one.

Yep, found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PadrpFS1g]Fritz The Cat - The Crazy Rabbit Clip (in High Quality).avi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCwY2UstWNI]Fritz the Cat 5/8 - YouTube[/ame]

i wont go that far....its just the guys making them seem to think they know whats best and so many times....they are wrong,especially casting the parts and the characterization of the characters....like the Thomas Jane "Punisher" movie....outside of the title and the leads name....where did it resemble the comic?....

I started collecting X-men in 1979. I have all the issues from the relaunch through until 500, including Giant Size 1, so it is close to my heart. I even have about 25 issues pre #94 (the relaunch), the earliest being number 10. While not a complete originalist (I don't see Angel, Iceman or The Beast as integral members for the movies), I do see Cyclops, Jean Grey (in any form - Phoenix, Marvel Girl whatever), Colossus, Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler as essential. Storm, Wolverine and Jean Grey certainly get their screen time, and Cyclops does. However, Nightcrawler and Colossus get hardly any and that really bugs me.
i had the first 20 issues Doc....maybe more back in the beginning.....same with Spiderman....FF4....the Hulk....had them all.....when we moved to Cali....left them with my friends.....who knew?....:(......but back to what you said....since the Beast was their scientific mind....how was he not an Integral member?....

I do hope they do the pronunciation of "Constantine" right. The correct pronunciation is shown by this panel from a Swamp Thing comic from around 1988.

pronoun.jpg

Ha! I stopped collecting in 1979. Had Giant Size #1 and X-Men #94 but foolishly sold them both, along with the first ever appearance of The Punisher, in Spider-Man.

But I still have a very good condition Hulk #181, with the 1st appearance of Wolverine.

I have sooooo many #1 issues, from Hawkman #1 to Howard The Duck #1 to Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #1, Champions #1, OMAC #1, etc. Most of these are part of a run. For example, I have Champions #1 thru #20-something.

(1) Batman Dark Knight (The Joker stole the show)
(2) Batman Begins (Bale was the right choice unlike his replacement)
(3) Man of Steel (call me crazy, but I loved this movie)
(4) Spiderman 2 (Dr. Oct and Spiderman, great)
(5) Avengers
(6) Xmen 2 (beat the original in my mind)
(7) Spiderman (Great, just not as good as the sequel)
(8) Xmen (Ditto)
(9) Ironman
(10) Watchmen (Never heard of them before, but the movie was awesome)
(11) Hulk/Ed Norton (It was very under-rated)
(12) Amazing Spiderman (the reboot is good, just not as good at Toby's Spiderman 1 and 2)
(13) Captain America (It was a ton better than I expected)
(14) Ironman 2 (I am leaving off 3, since I thought it wasn't any good)
(15) Incrediables (Great Pixar movie)
(16) Unbreakable (Very unrated movie. I still enjoy it.)
(17) Batman/Michael Keaton (A little cheesy now and so inferior to the new one, but still good in it's own way)
(18) Blade (Pick one they are all the same, but Snipes played the character well)
(19) Crow (Very dark and something cool about it)
(20) Superman 1 & 2 (I loved these as a kid, but now they are very cheesy and low special effects. Still good in their own way, but dated.)

NOTE: I left Wolverine (he was my favorite superhero growing up, but I thought the movies were weak); Thor (I didn't see the 2nd one and I thought the first sucked); FF (blew);

Revising my list 25:
(1) The Dark Knight (The Joker stole the show - Still the best)
(2) Captain America 2 (The movie was great from being to end and the story was top notch).
(3) Spiderman 2 (After watching the Amazing Spiderman 2, it made me appreciate the Toby McGuire Spiderman more. Amazing Spiderman 2 was horrendous and ruined Amazing Spiderman 1 in my eyes).
(4) Batman Begins (Bale was the right choice, but the trailer from Batman vs Superman looks good)
(5) Man of Steel (call me crazy, but I loved this movie. I don't get why so many people hated it.)
(6) Guardians of the Galaxy (I loved this movie and I had low expectations)
(7) Avengers (yes I liked the original better than the sequel)
(8) Avengers 2 (was still great)
(9) Xmen Days of Future Past (They did good on a classic comic story and did a good job of reversing the damage done by X3)
(10) Xmen 2 (beat the original in my mind)
(11) Spiderman (Great, just not as good as the sequel)
(12) Xmen (Ditto)
(13) Ironman (the movie that really kicked off the superhero revival. RDJ captured the role.)
(14) Watchmen (Never heard of them before, but the movie was awesome)
(15) Incredible Hulk/Ed Norton (It was very under-rated)
(16) Captain America (It was a ton better than I expected)
(17) The Wolverine (Thank god for this movie, because the first Wolverine was so bad. He was my favorite superhero growing up and this movie was pretty good)
(18) Ironman 3 (I had them mixed up 3 was good 2 blew)
(19) Incrediables (Great Pixar movie)
(20) Unbreakable (Very unrated movie. I still enjoy it.)
(21) XMen First Class (very good prequel).
(22) Punisher War Zone (this was the most recent one and it was great. Very true to the character)
(23) Batman/Michael Keaton (A little cheesy now and so inferior to the new one, but still good in it's own way)
(24) Darkman (I forgot about this one on the original list. I loved this movie.)
(25) Blade 2 (I enjoyed Blade 1, but Blade 2 was superior to it in every way, especially in the main villain and end fight scene. Snipes was the best choice for Blade),

Honorable Mentions: Superman 1 & 2 (I loved these as a kid, but now they are very cheesy and low special effects. Still good in their own way, but dated.). Crow (was very good and well casted with the son of Bruce Lee, but the others were better in my book).

Note: Thor is off the list both movies sucked balls. Amazing Spiderman 2 ruined Amazing Spiderman 1 for me. I never saw Kickass, so I left it off. I don't see the appeal to Hellboy, I thought both movies weren't that good. While I kind of enjoyed Fantastic Four (the first one) it wasn't that good. I might be one of the few, but I didn't like Dark Night Rising.

(1) Batman Dark Knight (The Joker stole the show)
(2) Batman Begins (Bale was the right choice unlike his replacement)
(3) Man of Steel (call me crazy, but I loved this movie)
(4) Spiderman 2 (Dr. Oct and Spiderman, great)
(5) Avengers
(6) Xmen 2 (beat the original in my mind)
(7) Spiderman (Great, just not as good as the sequel)
(8) Xmen (Ditto)
(9) Ironman
(10) Watchmen (Never heard of them before, but the movie was awesome)
(11) Hulk/Ed Norton (It was very under-rated)
(12) Amazing Spiderman (the reboot is good, just not as good at Toby's Spiderman 1 and 2)
(13) Captain America (It was a ton better than I expected)
(14) Ironman 2 (I am leaving off 3, since I thought it wasn't any good)
(15) Incrediables (Great Pixar movie)
(16) Unbreakable (Very unrated movie. I still enjoy it.)
(17) Batman/Michael Keaton (A little cheesy now and so inferior to the new one, but still good in it's own way)
(18) Blade (Pick one they are all the same, but Snipes played the character well)
(19) Crow (Very dark and something cool about it)
(20) Superman 1 & 2 (I loved these as a kid, but now they are very cheesy and low special effects. Still good in their own way, but dated.)

NOTE: I left Wolverine (he was my favorite superhero growing up, but I thought the movies were weak); Thor (I didn't see the 2nd one and I thought the first sucked); FF (blew);

Using your list but reworking the order:

1. (20) "Superman" is still my fave. The score being much of why :) Sequels were crap though "Quest for Peace" had a great couple moments when the schoolkid wonders outloud "why doesn't Superman get rid of the nukes" then he swoops in on the street wit the kid, goes into the UN, needs a sponsor and the entire GA offers. Love stuff like that :)

2. (3) "Man of Steel" loved the whole Messianic angle.

3. "Superman Returns" LOTS of great scenes. Little kid tossing the grand piano for one. First 'returns' scene saving the jet (as in the original movie.) but with more realistic physics and related problems.

4. "The Matrix" trilogy. Not the usual superhero movie but definitely belongs on such a list imo. From 1's 'back from the dead' scene at the end, "No..." to 2 or 3's hyper-sonic flight through city streets, shockwave wrecking all kinds of havoc to save Trinity.

5. "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" another 'sorta superhero' movie. Like when the Terminator shields John Connor's body with its' own against gunfire.

And 'honorable mention' for the old tv series "Misfits of Science" :)

I still don't get the love for Spider Man 2. :p

If The Crow counts for the list, I put it in my top 3. I can still watch that movie and love it.

Thor 2 was a pretty good movie. The first one was my least favorite of the phase 1 Marvel movies, but the second was much better.

Kick Ass doesn't really count on the list, but if it should, I'd definitely put it up there. The first movie was really fun.

I preferred the first Blade to the second, despite the cheesy exploding vampire crap at the end.

Rhino was ridiculous, but at least barely in the movie. :p
Rhino was ridiculous
and a guy who gets bit by a radioactive Spider and gets Spider abilities is not?....

Not like the rhino suit, no. That thing didn't even make sense in the context of the movie. Who would make a big mechanical rhino suit? Why? How is it better than a humanoid suit, or just a damn tank? :lol:

Forum List

Back