Top 10 Foods That Originally Looked Totally Different

Yesterday...

1019141050-1024x675.jpg

Today...

image8.jpg

The science of firearms definitely does improve food quality. :biggrin:

Interesting video, OP-er. TY for sharing.

Watching the video, I found myself asking a number of questions:
  • Do birds have tastebuds?
  • Have birds' tastes have changed as has the flavor of the various plants changed?
  • Would birds from "way back when" even find palatable today's versions of the noted fruits?
  • What about other animals that eat the fruits humans have cultivated? Would modern ones eat the fruits in their original forms?
  • What have been the consequent impacts (behavioral, reproductive, etc.) of human fruit alterations on insect, avian and mammalian fruit eaters?
I also had a couple banal thoughts about the video's content:
  • I can attest to the narrator's statement about wild strawberries tasting better than domesticated ones.
  • Watermelons seem to have "evolved" materially over the just the past 40 or fewer years. I don't recall there being seedless (or nearly so) watermelons when I was a kid, but they sure do exist these days. Perhaps, however, they just didn't exist at the grocers we patronized?

Using science to improve things and playing god has made our food so much better. This is why we should continue and improve our selfs also.

If present day liberals were around back then, they'd have sued to prevent the development of
those GMO foods.

Using science to improve things and playing god has made our food so much better. This is why we should continue and improve our selfs also.

If present day liberals were around back then, they'd have sued to prevent the development of
those GMO foods.

Oh, lord....

Is there truly no limit to the nature of things upon which USMB members will remark while not fully understanding what they are talking about and/or bastardizing the context of a discussion (or discussion rubric) to facilitate their making some sort of inane remark?

GMO is direct DNA modification, and it is not naturally possible under any circumstances other perhaps than an organism's arbitrarily having been hit by a gamma ray or some other such exceptional event. What the video discusses is selective cross breeding, i.e., aiding and abetting natural selection, not directly modifying the DNA of the noted plants.

Cross breeding is directed natural selection based on outwardly observable heritable traits. Crossbreeding is what Mendel did with pea plants and what Morgan did with fruit flies. Yes, one can accurately assert that Morgan, Mendel's and others ideas provided an understanding of the potential of direct genetic modification, but that's it. Liberals have been teaching and lauding the merits of cross breeding and genetic modification. For example, one'll note that it is Liberals who do not take exception with stem cell research and advancements in cloning, both of which are part and parcel to genetic modification.

Let me be clear. I do not find it annoying that folks, anyone, doesn't know about "this or that." I take exception with their not knowing what they are talking about and yet talking about it rather than reading or listening to highly credible and rigorously developed information about the matter. People who've consumed but grossly imperfect information (relative to the body of available information) on a topic have no business positing anything about it or related to it, nor do they have any business concluding what incidental remarks they may have heard/seen are/are not credible.

those GMO foods.

Oh, lord....

Is there truly no limit to the nature of things upon which USMB members will remark while not fully understanding what they are talking about and/or bastardizing the context of a discussion (or discussion rubric) to facilitate their making some sort of inane remark?

GMO is direct DNA modification, and it is not naturally possible under any circumstances other perhaps than an organism's arbitrarily having been hit by a gamma ray or some other such exceptional event. What the video discusses is selective cross breeding, i.e., aiding and abetting natural selection, not directly modifying the DNA of the noted plants.

Cross breeding is directed natural selection based on outwardly observable heritable traits. Crossbreeding is what Mendel did with pea plants and what Morgan did with fruit flies. Yes, one can accurately assert that Morgan, Mendel's and others ideas provided an understanding of the potential of direct genetic modification, but that's it. Liberals have been teaching and lauding the merits of cross breeding and genetic modification. For example, one'll note that it is Liberals who do not take exception with stem cell research and advancements in cloning, both of which are part and parcel to genetic modification.

Let me be clear. I do not find it annoying that folks, anyone, doesn't know about "this or that." I take exception with their not knowing what they are talking about and yet talking about it rather than reading or listening to highly credible and rigorously developed information about the matter. People who've consumed but grossly imperfect information (relative to the body of available information) on a topic have no business positing anything about it or related to it, nor do they have any business concluding what incidental remarks they may have heard/seen are/are not credible.

GMO is direct DNA modification

Humans have been genetically modifying foods for probably as long as they've been planting it and herding it.

Just because morons, mostly liberals, don't understand this, doesn't mean I can't mock their ignorance.

Unless you're eating acorns and wild game and fish, your food is most likely very different than
it was thousands of years ago.

Just because we now have the technology to more quickly and precisely modify the plants and animals we consume today, doesn't make the old way good and the new way bad.

those GMO foods.

Oh, lord....

Humans have been genetically modifying foods for probably as long as they've been planting it and herding it.

Just because morons, mostly liberals, don't understand this, doesn't mean I can't mock their ignorance.

Unless you're eating acorns and wild game and fish, your food is most likely very different than

Just because we now have the technology to more quickly and precisely modify the plants and animals we consume today, doesn't make the old way good and the new way bad.

As I said, oh, lord.....

those GMO foods.

Oh, lord....

As I said, oh, lord.....

As I said, just because morons, mostly liberals, don't understand this........

Genetically modified food will one day save the world from starvation. .
`
...or doom it. It killed the tomato, which if one buys it from the supermarket, is generally tasteless.
You are right about those tasteless tomatoes. There are plenty of people around the globe keeping heirloom vegetables going though so we may avoid the doom.

I posted this thread like a year ago.

You are right about those tasteless tomatoes. There are plenty of people around the globe keeping heirloom vegetables going though so we may avoid the doom.
`
I live around farming country and you can still buy real tomatoes, delicious tomatoes. Locally grown. You pay more but oh so well worth it.

Forum List

Back