Too Bad...

D

Darwins Friend

Ariz. Gov. Vetoes Criminal Immigrant Bill
Apr 18 11:08 AM US/Eastern

By JACQUES BILLEAUD
Associated Press Writer
PHOENIX

Gov. Janet Napolitano vetoed a bill that would have criminalized the presence of illegal immigrants in Arizona, citing opposition from police agencies that want immigration arrests to remain the responsibility of the federal government.

The proposal would have expanded the state's trespassing law to let local authorities arrest illegal immigrants anywhere in Arizona, the nation's busiest illegal entry point. Congress also had considered criminalizing the presence of illegal immigrants in the country.

In a letter to lawmakers, Napolitano said she opposes automatically turning all immigrants who sneaked into the state into criminals and that the bill provided no funding for the new duties.

"It is unfortunate that the Legislature has once again ignored the officials who are most directly affected by illegal immigration and instead has passed yet another bill that will have no effect on the problem but that will impose an unfunded burden on law enforcement," Napolitano wrote Monday.

Supporters said the bill would have given Arizona a chance to get a handle on its vast border problems by providing a second layer of enforcement to catch the tens of thousands of immigrants who slip past federal agents each year.

Republican Sen. Barbara Leff of Paradise Valley, who proposed the bill, said the governor has painted herself as tough on illegal immigration by declaring a state of emergency at Arizona's border, but has taken little action to back up her rhetoric.

"I don't think the governor wants to do anything about this problem," Leff said. She said the bill would have been a means to detain illegal immigrants until federal agents can pick them up.

The Democratic governor, accused by her Republican critics of being soft on immigration, has vetoed other immigration bills from the GOP- majority Legislature within the past year, including a proposal to give police the power to enforce federal immigration laws.

While immigrants provide the economy with cheap labor, Arizona spends tens of millions of dollars each year in health care and education costs for illegal workers and their families. An estimated 500,000 of the state's population of about 6 million are illegal immigrants.

Yup too bad. Maybe they'll shut down yet another hospital down there in Arizona because the illeagals that get all their free treatment have bankrupt them.

Does not the governor of any state in the union have the power to call back their National Guard to protect their state in times of declared emergency or invasion, and station them along an unprotected border?

Darwins Friend said:
Does not the governor of any state in the union have the power to call back their National Guard to protect their state in times of declared emergency or invasion, and station them along an unprotected border?

Arizona is 25% hispanic.

That is a lot of votes to lose.

Darwins Friend said:

Only under the threat of invasion. Calling back the National Guard would be an extreme move, but a hell of a political statement.

GotZoom said:
Arizona is 25% hispanic.

Well, that grabs it right by the short hairs, doesn’t it. Where the rubber meets the road.

onthefence said:
Only under the threat of invasion. Calling back the National Guard would be an extreme move, but a hell of a political statement.

So, if American citizens from Arizona were pouring over the border to occupy Mexico, would Mr. Fox regard that as an invasion?

And yes - that would be one 'Hell of a political statement'.

GotZoom said:
Arizona is 25% hispanic.

If both parties GOP and DNC took the same hard line stance on illegal immigration...who would they lose the so called Hispanic votes to...it would in essence become a moot point...neither party would be effected...Where is Teddy Roosevelt when ya need him? :bat:

Darwins Friend said:

why would she do that if her excuse already is that its a Federal problem?

theHawk said:
why would she do that if her excuse already is that its a Federal problem?

Yeah - she wouldn't - but Arnie might.

Darwins Friend said:
Well, that grabs it right by the short hairs, doesn’t it. Where the rubber meets the road.

But does make me wonder if they are illegal how are they voting???

Bonnie said:

It's not the illegals who are voting. It's their "legal" families.

If you do something to alienate any Hispanic in Arizona, every Hispanic in Arizona will probably vote against you.

Bonnie said:

Through their 'Carpet Bagger' babies who were dropped here by illegal Mommas and have come of age to vote their parents wishes!

Bonnie said:

Considering how easy it is to forge documents these days - as many as are willing to pay enough for phoney documents - I would guess. That and the fact that their presence pressures naturally born second generation Latinos to vote for supposed "immigrant rights".

Darwins Friend said:
Considering how easy it is to forge documents these days - as many as are willing to pay enough for phoney documents - I would guess. That and the fact that their presence pressures naturally born second generation Latinos to vote for supposed "immigrant rights".

What a mess!!!

archangel said:
Through their 'Carpet Bagger' babies who were dropped here by illegal Mommas and have come of age to vote their parents wishes!

See to me this really mimics what is occuring in Europe with Muslims who are flooding into Sweeden, France, England, and Germany and bullying those governments into lax immigration policies simply by their voting power and their propensity for violence and protest. Is this where we are heading?

Bonnie said:
See to me this really mimics what is occuring in Europe with Muslims who are flooding into Sweeden, France, England, and Germany and bullying those governments into lax immigration policies simply by their voting power and their propensity for violence and protest. Is where we are heading?

Most definately---!!!!

Bonnie said:
See to me this really mimics what is occuring in Europe with Muslims who are flooding into Sweeden, France, England, and Germany and bullying those governments into lax immigration policies simply by their voting power and their propensity for violence and protest. Is this where we are heading?

Judging by the recent immigration protests, I'd say we are already just about there, Bonnie.

Forum List

Back