Todays Quote...

I lost you on the Grant joke, didn't I?

You seem like a woman who like superior fire power.

That's one ... but it's the "drink first" part I don't get.

Grant is a fascinating man (and other than Lincoln or Jefferson the best writer of all the Presidents) but I am convinced that his drinking allowed him to dive in to the horrible breach that no other Union general would dive into to win that war.

In a way he is like Churchill, sober people could not pull off what needed to be done in that unique, and dare I say, drunken, moment of history.

Any Viking would understand this.

I lost you on the Grant joke, didn't I?

You seem like a woman who like superior fire power.

Grant is a fascinating man (and other than Lincoln or Jefferson the best writer of all the Presidents) but I am convinced that his drinking allowed him to dive in to the horrible breach that no other Union general would dive into to win that war.

In a way he is like Churchill, sober people could not pull off what needed to be done in that unique, and dare I say, drunken, moment of history.

Oh yeah ... people did claim he was a drunk ... cool beans then. ;) Makes sense now.

There is no real question he was one, indeed it explains this brilliant man's failure during the Dante dark wood of his middle years, and other officers complained to Lincoln he was drinking during the Civil War, to which the always witty Lincoln replied "Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to each of my other generals."

Personally, given the strategy and cultural senstitivies of the time, only a drunk could have disregarded the cultural norms of the time, beaten the glorious Lee, only a drunk could dig in and take that kind of terrible pain.

No sober Union General did, a drunk did.

Oh yeah ... people did claim he was a drunk ... cool beans then. ;) Makes sense now.

LOL!

Tell me what brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals.
Lincoln, Abraham quote - Tell me what brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send ...

LOL!

Tell me what brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals.
Lincoln, Abraham quote - Tell me what brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send ...

Never claimed to know American history well. :razz:

One other interesting aspect of Grant is his Presidency, it is generally considered a failure because of the corruption endemic in the time, but he did try to give freed southern slaves protection, he fought KKK terrorism, he did not fight the Civil War to see African Americans re-enslaved under a new name, he played it straight for a drunk. He spent a lot of political capital and time trying to protect African Americans in the South.

His successors have up and African Americans had to endure Jim Crow, but the drunk tried to give them a fair go.

Last edited:
One other interesting aspect of Grant is his Presidency, it is generally considered a failure because of the corruption endemic in the time, but he did try to give freed southern slaves protection, he fought KKK terrorism, he did not fight the Civil War to see African Americans re-enslaved under a new name, he played it straight for a drunk. He spent a lot of political capital and time trying to protect African Americans in the South.

His successors have up and African Americans had to endure Jim Crow, but the drunk tried to give them a fair go.

Being drunk doesn't make a person bad, being a bad person does make one a bad drunk. ;)

Being drunk doesn't make a person bad, being a bad person does make one a bad drunk. ;)

Being drunk all the time is another issue.

Which reminds me of Val Kilmer in Tombstone playing Doc Holiday. When he was accused of being completely wasted he said, "nonsense... I have not yet begun to defile myself"... :lol:

Which reminds me of Val Kilmer in Tombstone playing Doc Holiday. When he was accused of being completely wasted he said, "nonsense... I have not yet begun to defile myself"... :lol:

Great movie ... Val played a decent Doc I think.

Best thing I've ever seen Kilmer do. I love that movie, and it just wouldn't be as good as it is without his portrayal of Doc Holiday.

Best thing I've ever seen Kilmer do. I love that movie, and it just wouldn't be as good as it is without his portrayal of Doc Holiday.

He looks a lot like my dad as Doc to, so I get nostalgic every time I see Tombstone.

Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it. ~Author Unknown

You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him. ~Leo Aikman

"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his credit, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."

- Newt Gingrich

Newt is regaining his political balance again - he senses the huge wave of dissatisfaction welling up from the majority of Americans over the political direction of the liberal - controlled Congress and White House.

This quote cuts to the core and speaks succinct truth...

"As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his credit, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials."

- Newt Gingrich

Newt is regaining his political balance again - he senses the huge wave of dissatisfaction welling up from the majority of Americans over the political direction of the liberal - controlled Congress and White House.

This quote cuts to the core and speaks succinct truth...

Credentials so far...

Got the US out of its worst recession in 70 years
Gotten further on healthcare reform than any other president

Hmmm...thats more than Bush accomplished in 8 years

Forum List

Back