Today's Kids have "Facebook Depression"

:) You better hope you don't have an enemy who sees that though and decides to even a score or something by showing it to somebody you really would rather not see it.

Last week my manager was in a meeting in which Facebook was brought up. Four nursing students STUPIDLY posted pics of patients on thier FB's. All four were kicked out of nursing school.

Fun Fact: Anyone who posts pictures of themselves getting high or wasted on Facebook are asking for trouble.

I can just see it now. Thirty years in the future at a presidential debate:

"My opponent says he's for family values, but in a facebook status update from the year 2011, he posted 'gettin shitty drunk and fuckin hoes 2nite. passin the pipe 2mrw, peace'... :lol:

zPwPO.gif

I can just see it now. Thirty years in the future at a presidential debate:

"My opponent says he's for family values, but in a facebook status update from the year 2011, he posted 'gettin shitty drunk and fuckin hoes 2nite. passin the pipe 2mrw, peace'... :lol:

:lol:

studies show the more time you spend on the net the more you are apt to be depressed......i love to listen to people on the net....how important they are in real life...how successful they are in real life and yet they spend the majority of their time on the net....o o and what i really love are the ones who claim to have such great work ethics but are posting from work.....lol...right......

Obsessive Internet Use Linked with Depression in Teens - TIME

I've kind of had the opposite experience with posting. I'm new to this, in the last year or so. I went through a very difficult period in my life and at first, on line was a great way to keep in touch with family and friends and let them know what was going on. That was through Facebook and Caring Bridge and sites like that. Then when I was going through a period of depression a friend introduced me to posting like this, on forums. I've found it's helped me to get communicating again and maybe even helped me break out of the depression somewhat.

Of coures, this isn't my life and I don't spend the bulk of my time online. I can see how that behavior could beging to play mind games with kids.

:) You better hope you don't have an enemy who sees that though and decides to even a score or something by showing it to somebody you really would rather not see it.

Last week my manager was in a meeting in which Facebook was brought up. Four nursing students STUPIDLY posted pics of patients on thier FB's. All four were kicked out of nursing school.

Good grief, that was spectacularly stupid.

The positive side of Facebook is what I love. A family member's first grandbaby was born early this morning and she had a photo of the new arrival on Facebook within hours. It helps make all of us feel a little bit like we're part of it.

But I really don't want to see the young-uns latest excess party or hear about their hangovers or the latest creep they broke up with or worst of all about their crappy job or scumbag boss. I haven't been able to convince them that a lot of that could come back to bite them in very unpleasant ways on down the road.

Lol I have posted about my hang over and one night stand a few times, only a couple times!

Good point!

Good grief, that was spectacularly stupid.

That was dumb as hell!

My boys were kind of freaked out when I got on fb because I do post a lot on there. They didn't like it, lol. But they GOT OVER IT, and once they realized I'm NOT RETARDED and I don't put personal stuff about myself or them on there, they relaxed. I'm not someone who posts, "my baby boy is dealing with anxiety due to sexual dysfunction" and then expects everyone to give me pats for sharing....(that's a fictional example, btw). I will piss and moan occasionally but those are usually brief snippets.

I have a busy online life because I'm online all the time, and I just like to write (and talk). But it takes a back seat to my real life...I might be on fb every hour for a week, including night...then not be online at all for a week. And when that happens, I don't miss it at all! I don't even think about it!

It's his name..

Sure, but some people like to put a certain emphasis on his middle name. Like Pale Rider.

Getting back to the OP, I don't see the point of someone who is 12-14 using Facebook in the first place.

If I'm not mistaken, one is supposed to be at least a certain age (not sure if it's 14 or 18)...but kids lie.
I know parents who lied for their children to let them have Facebook, and then say they keep watch over them. Yeah, right..OK.

They have to have parental permission if they are under a certain age...

I am aghast by some of the stuff kids post on there. It's like their parents aren't even scanning it....

my FB rule...you don't have fb until you have your own computer...

And I will be a friend, and i will have access to everything, and I will look at it continually.

I am aghast by some of the stuff kids post on there. It's like their parents aren't even scanning it....

And I will be a friend, and i will have access to everything, and I will look at it continually.

You are supposed to have parental permission if you are under 14 I believe but if you know how to work a computer its not hard to get around it, alot of these kids are running wild and posting whatever they want on Facebook, one of my girlfriends friends daughter is 15 and somehow convinced her mom to take her to get breast implants, and she bragged about it on Facebook.

You are supposed to have parental permission if you are under 14 I believe but if you know how to work a computer its not hard to get around it, alot of these kids are running wild and posting whatever they want on Facebook, one of my girlfriends friends daughter is 15 and somehow convinced her mom to take her to get breast implants, and she bragged about it on Facebook.

15? Wow. If you don't mind me asking, how old was the mom?

15? Wow. If you don't mind me asking, how old was the mom?

I am not sure but the mother is from Vietnam and doesn't speak much English.

My 14 yr old got grounded from hanging with her friends irl . . .again . . . and was also grounded off of facebook. So smarty pants decided to start 'following people' on Tumblr. It's just a blog site where people blog about their life and other people follow them. Srsly? Some of the shit these people (mostly kids under 21) were posting? No way Jose. Solution? A few weeks back I got Firefox's add-on FoxFilter. For $10/yr you can block just about anything you want off of each account you've put the add-on onto. Tumblr is now blocked. Personally I wish Facebook was only allowed for the 18-and-over crowd.

While I love the internet and all it is definitely a time-sucker.

Thought I'd update this. So she never did say anything like 'hey why is Tumblr blocked'. Hmmmm. My oldest says 'is she accessing the internet via IE (we use Firefox)'. BUGGER, she was!

Did you know that in Windows 7 you can disable -- but not remove -- IE8? Type in 'Windows Features' and whaalaaa, uncheck the IE8 box, give it a minute to do its thang and there you go, IE8 no longer accessible and it doesn't even show up anywhere. Try searching for it . . .nothing. Disables it from all accounts too. Sweet. Ah, and to get to that Windows Features box to make changes? Yuppers, you need the password.

Thanks Jul! Glad to know your computer skillz are tuned up.

Last edited:
It's his name..

Sure, but some people like to put a certain emphasis on his middle name. Like Pale Rider.

Getting back to the OP, I don't see the point of someone who is 12-14 using Facebook in the first place.

If I'm not mistaken, one is supposed to be at least a certain age (not sure if it's 14 or 18)...but kids lie.
I know parents who lied for their children to let them have Facebook, and then say they keep watch over them. Yeah, right..OK.

I knew my 14 yr old would create one anyway . . . all they have to do is lie about their age. I'd rather her have it and I know it and she has to be friends with me. She's put me on a 'hide all my posts from' list. I just go in and change it and tell her to knock it off. It is constant though. Just gotta keep up and pay attention.

Forum List

Back