Today's Kids have "Facebook Depression"

I only spend about 15 minutes a day on Facebook maybe longer I'm listening to some new music videos or something, I can't imagine spending 7 hours on the damn thing.

I guarantee that watching television 7 hours a day is worse than being on Facebook 7 hours a day.

I think you're right. Facebook at least requires motor skills, reading comprehension, and communications skills. But 7 hours a day is excessive in both cases.

7 hours a day is nothing for kids today to be sitting in front of a LCD either watching TV, playing video games or on the computer. In fact, I would go as far to say that during the summer the average American child is looking at a monitor/TV 7-10 hours a day.

I mostly opened a FB account so I could communicate with my son and his chums who I also sort of feel some fatherly sense of connection to.

When I left home I pretty much left my family in such a way that they almost never knew what I was up to.

They'd hear from me maybe once or twice a year, and when times were really bad they often didn't have a clue where I lived, what I was doing on how thing were going.

Today I wish my father was online so I could keep in touch in that casual way that FB allows one to touch base with people in your life, to be honest.

But my Poppo is like 88 now and not interested in getting into the world of computers. Hell I've offered him free computers and training, too, but he's just not interested.

Too bad, but that's the way it is.

Computer technology and the internet is a double-edged sword.

It can be a useful tool or it can become an addiction.

In my case it has become both.

Last edited:
The constant worry over on line "social" status is warping children and adults alike.

The sooner you realize that the minutiae of your daily life is meaningless the better off you will all be.

I see Facebook addicts as sad lonely people to begin with, is it any wonder people with such a need for external validation even if it's from an anonymous post on a computer are prone to depression?

I love facebook, it's fun and allows me to interact with my grown kids in a way we aren't able to interact otherwise...

But I can't get addicted to it. When it gets boring, or intense, I step away. And it never hurts at all...I have some friends who seem to do all their living on fb. My life on fb is incidental..I post quite a bit because I'm just always on the internet, and fb and this site are always up...but I never miss it when I'm away.

I don't let my children get online to amount to anything.

Some people love FB, some hate it, to each his own.
I don't have a FB- well I do, but it stays deactivated- but I can't for the life of me figure out what is so damn great about Farmville?!?!????

I mostly opened a FB account so I could communicate with my son and his chums who I also sort of feel some fatherly sense of connection to.

When I left home I pretty much left my family in such a way that they almost never knew what I was up to.

They'd hear from me maybe once or twice a year, and when times were really bad they often didn't have a clue where I lived, what I was doing on how thing were going.

Today I wish my father was online so I could keep in touch in that casual way that FB allows one to touch base with people in your life, to be honest.

But my Poppo is like 88 now and not interested in getting into the world of computers. Hell I've offered him free computers and training, too, but he's just not interested.

Too bad, but that's the way it is.

Computer technology and the internet is a double-edged sword.

It can be a useful tool or it can become an addiction.

In my case it has become both.

It's my primary method of communicating with my grown kids too..though technically, I'm not even communicating with them, but with their significant others, most of the time. Still, I keep tabs on them.

My mom just got a new notebook and is going to be online in a day or so...her preferred communication is telephone but I don't do the phone thing so she's just going to have to adapt, lol..

Last December I crashed the baby shower of my cousin's daughter. Of course, with gift in hand. Mom had a lady bug theme going on and I found the cutest lady bug two-piece bathing suit and sun hat. It was an awwwwww moment in Babies R Us. Anywho, just yesterday mom posted on my Wall, a pic of her little girl wearing the bathing suit and hat I had bought her. Sooooooooo cute! So I tagged myself in the photo to show off to the rest of my family and friends on FB, just how cute she is and my exquisite taste in children's apparel.

Being able to share like that is wonderful! But on the flip side, adult women who spend most of their day updating their status every few hours as to what they're doing and airing their dirty laundry out for all to see, well that to me is not so wonderful. It's sad and pathetic.

Last December I crashed the baby shower of my cousin's daughter. Of course, with gift in hand. Mom had a lady bug theme going on and I found the cutest lady bug two-piece bathing suit and sun hat. It was an awwwwww moment in Babies R Us. Anywho, just yesterday mom posted on my Wall, a pic of her little girl wearing the bathing suit and hat I had bought her. Sooooooooo cute! So I tagged myself in the photo to show off to the rest of my family and friends on FB, just how cute she is and my exquisite taste in children's apparel.

Being able to share like that is wonderful! But on the flip side, adult women who spend most of their day updating their status every few hours as to what they're doing and airing their dirty laundry out for all to see, well that to me is not so wonderful. It's sad and pathetic.

The positive side of Facebook is what I love. A family member's first grandbaby was born early this morning and she had a photo of the new arrival on Facebook within hours. It helps make all of us feel a little bit like we're part of it.

But I really don't want to see the young-uns latest excess party or hear about their hangovers or the latest creep they broke up with or worst of all about their crappy job or scumbag boss. I haven't been able to convince them that a lot of that could come back to bite them in very unpleasant ways on down the road.

What I learned from this thread:

Overusing something may cause addiction, depression, and people like validation on the internet.

Certainly breaking news.

The positive side of Facebook is what I love. A family member's first grandbaby was born early this morning and she had a photo of the new arrival on Facebook within hours. It helps make all of us feel a little bit like we're part of it.

But I really don't want to see the young-uns latest excess party or hear about their hangovers or the latest creep they broke up with or worst of all about their crappy job or scumbag boss. I haven't been able to convince them that a lot of that could come back to bite them in very unpleasant ways on down the road.

Lol I have posted about my hang over and one night stand a few times, only a couple times!

When USMB went down a couple weeks ago, I was thisclose to putting a glock under my chin.

Lol I have posted about my hang over and one night stand a few times, only a couple times!

Good grief, don't do that!
Put it in instant message to the people you want to blab to.

I have quite a few younger people on my fb...I tell them up front "I do not want to see "I am getting fat from lack of sex" on my newsfeed!"

It's his name..

Sure, but some people like to put a certain emphasis on his middle name. Like Pale Rider.

Getting back to the OP, I don't see the point of someone who is 12-14 using Facebook in the first place.

:) You better hope you don't have an enemy who sees that though and decides to even a score or something by showing it to somebody you really would rather not see it.

Good grief, don't do that!
Put it in instant message to the people you want to blab to.

I have quite a few younger people on my fb...I tell them up front "I do not want to see "I am getting fat from lack of sex" on my newsfeed!"

So you wish to see it in your message box then? :razz: :lol:

Fun Fact: Anyone who posts pictures of themselves getting high or wasted on Facebook are asking for trouble.

Forum List

Back