Today's Challenge -- Can You Do It?

End to slavery, desegregation, civil rights, economic prosperity, self reliance, charity. Etc.

HAHAH.....be a bit more specific there, champ. Especially the part about civil rights and economic prosperity. Maybe you can start with the failed "trickle down economics" or how it was your side that insisted on segregating blacks from whites.
Separating blacks and whites was a horrible thing democrats tried....thank god republicans ended it..,,

Agreed. Proud to be the party of emancipation. A great thing our party accomplished.

Even after, the democrats with their KKK with leaders like Senator Byrd kept trying to kill blacks off. Even today all you have to do is look at Chicago to see the Dems want young black men dead.

Truly a shame.

The latest is how the "progressives" try to equate the struggle that Blacks endured with those of trannies.

When will the lefts racism and bigotry end???

I dunno, can't come soon enough for me.

You?

we freed the slaves

That's pretty much it.

Nothing more to see here.

SYTFE what were you thinking?

That's from when the RP was made up of Liberals. :rock:

Those daze were gone when our grandparents were born.
gvDdF.gif

Republican party back then was the same as the Democrat party today. Everyone knows this.

I love the smell of desperation in the evening.

It's so...... well....... humiliating.

Nothing desperate about it, it's a fact that they were progressive at that time.

Does stylfe wyfe want to back away from his own OP now?

Kill the thread before you look any dumber then you already do.

Name ONE positive thing to come from Republican policy.

What? Surely you aren't that partisan?

The GOP have done plenty of positive things, though none are recent.

Setting up the Interstate Highway System, one of the greatest achievements post WWII -- Eisenhower.

You can actually thank Franklin D. Roosevelt for proposing it. Eisenhower only followed through on Roosevelt's proposal. (source)

Making NASA a civilian space agency, passing the Science Education Law -- Eisenhower.

You can actually thank Kennedy for challenging us to make it to the moon, and it was under his and Johnson's administration that allowed the space program to take off. Republicans just followed, as usual.

Sending in troops to Little Rock, Arkansas to enforce racial desegregation in schools -- Eisenhower.

Big whoop. Liberal ideals were the main driver behind the Civil Rights movements in the 50's and 60's. All of the major opponents of civil rights were conservatives.

Opening up relations with China, one of the biggest accomplishments -- Nixon.

Ok. Now look at how well that's worked out for us.

Large scale desegregation of public schools down South -- Nixon.

Man on the Moon in 1969 -- Nixon (though the ground work was done during Johnson's time).

Glad you recognize that.

Cooperation between NASA and Soviet space program -- Nixon.

End of the Cold War, fall of the Communist regimes in Eastern Europe- Ronald Reagan.

This one is subjective. Many Eastern European's have wished things were "like they used to be." There was an interesting write up about this in National Geographic recently.

No Child Left Behind Act -- this was a landmark act for disadvantaged students -- George W. Bush

This was a HORRIBLE act. Jesus.

Promotion of alternative fuels to reduce US dependence on Oil -- George W. Bush

LOL, that one's just funny.

Produced William F. Buckley, Jr.

Not a product of Republican policy.

The Republican party wasn't always the sh*tstorm it is today. There was a time when it was a party was suffused with, and more importantly led by humane, intelligent and thoughtful individuals of integrity, or at least more of it than is apparent these days, even considering Watergate, which was an abuse of executive power for political gain, not for personal gain, self-aggrandizement and browbeating opponents.

Agreed that it used to be a thousand times better than the current hate-circus-circle-jerk it is today.

Republican party back then was the same as the Democrat party today. Everyone knows this.

Nothing desperate about it, it's a fact that they were progressive at that time.

Why? Why would I do any such thing? This is great stuff! Keep 'em coming! Keep naming these great things that came from when the GOP was liberal!

So far the DOW is in record territory withinin thirty days of Trump's election and he doesn't even have his entire appointments due to the democrat party dragging their feet to avoid the inevitable. Barry Hussein gave us "cash for clunkers" in his first year.

we freed the slaves

unfortunately, modern democrats are hellbent to put them back on & keep them on the plantation

great thread - thanks!

Ehhhh Wrong!!! Nice try though, made me laugh.

So what party drafted and was ultimately responsible for getting the 13th Amendment ratified? Oh yeah, the Republican Party.

Who broke a Democratic filibuster on the Civil Rights Act of 1964? A Republican, Everett Dirksen.

Want more?

Ha ha. Yeah, you need more. As in context.
No, I'm afraid Everett Dirksen didn't come flying in with a red S on his spandex chest. He had a lead role, but so did Hubert Humphrey and Mike Mansfield -- and of course LBJ who was pushing it.

>> Committed to the filibuster effort were the powerful Senators Richard Russell, Thurmond, Robert Byrd, William Fulbright and Sam Ervin. Russell started the filibuster in late March 1964, and it would last for 60 working days in the Senate.

Behind the scenes, two opposing leaders were working to find a way to get 67 votes: the Democratic Senate whip, Hubert Humphrey and the Senate Minority Leader, Everett Dirksen of Illinois.

At first, Dirksen opposed the House version of the bill because of certain passages, even though he was a long-time civil rights supporter. Humphrey, a Democrat, worked together with his Republican colleague to make the bill more acceptable to Republicans, while not weakening its powers.

On June 10, 1964, Dirksen made a powerful speech that served to bring more Republicans onto his side in the fight.

Dirksen made his case and then quoted the author Victor Hugo: “Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come.” The Senator then reminded his colleagues that the Republican Party stood for equality since its founding in the years before the Civil War.

That same day, the Humphrey-Dirksen group got 71 votes to end the filibuster, four more than needed, as 27 Republicans had decided to support the Act.

During the vote, the terminally ill Senator from California, Clair Engle, was brought to the floor in a wheelchair. Unable to speak because of a brain tumor, Engle pointed to his eye to signify his Yes vote.

President Johnson signed the bill on July 2 in a nationally televised ceremony. << ---- ConstitutionCenter.org

Horrors! Bipartisan cooperation!? That's USMB heresy! I shall now be burnt at the stake.

The way summa y'all get your history learnin' from a message board insted of actual history books is, shall we say, amusing.

So far the DOW is in record territory withinin thirty days of Trump's election and he doesn't even have his entire appointments due to the democrat party dragging their feet to avoid the inevitable. Barry Hussein gave us "cash for clunkers" in his first year.

I hope you haven't forgotten that the Dow climbed from 7,949.09 when Obama took office, after the previous Republican "ideas" obliterated the stock market, and took it to just under 20,000 his last day in office.

MW-FE221_DJIAPe_20170123083501_NS.png

we freed the slaves

unfortunately, modern democrats are hellbent to put them back on & keep them on the plantation

great thread - thanks!

Ehhhh Wrong!!! Nice try though, made me laugh.

So what party drafted and was ultimately responsible for getting the 13th Amendment ratified? Oh yeah, the Republican Party.

Who broke a Democratic filibuster on the Civil Rights Act of 1964? A Republican, Everett Dirksen.

Want more?

Ha ha. Yeah, you need more. As in context.
No, I'm afraid Everett Dirksen didn't come flying in with a red S on his spandex chest. He had a lead role, but so did Hubert Humphrey and Mike Mansfield -- and of course LBJ who was pushing it.

>>
Committed to the filibuster effort were the powerful Senators Richard Russell, Thurmond, Robert Byrd, William Fulbright and Sam Ervin. Russell started the filibuster in late March 1964, and it would last for 60 working days in the Senate.

Behind the scenes, two opposing leaders were working to find a way to get 67 votes: the Democratic Senate whip, Hubert Humphrey and the Senate Minority Leader, Everett Dirksen of Illinois.

At first, Dirksen opposed the House version of the bill because of certain passages, even though he was a long-time civil rights supporter. Humphrey, a Democrat, worked together with his Republican colleague to make the bill more acceptable to Republicans, while not weakening its powers.

On June 10, 1964, Dirksen made a powerful speech that served to bring more Republicans onto his side in the fight.

Dirksen made his case and then quoted the author Victor Hugo: “Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come.” The Senator then reminded his colleagues that the Republican Party stood for equality since its founding in the years before the Civil War.

That same day, the Humphrey-Dirksen group got 71 votes to end the filibuster, four more than needed, as 27 Republicans had decided to support the Act.

During the vote, the terminally ill Senator from California, Clair Engle, was brought to the floor in a wheelchair. Unable to speak because of a brain tumor, Engle pointed to his eye to signify his Yes vote.

President Johnson signed the bill on July 2 in a nationally televised ceremony. << ---- ConstitutionCenter.org

Horrors! Bipartisan cooperation!? That's USMB heresy! I shall now be burnt at the stake.

The way summa y'all get your history learnin' from a message board insted of actual history books is, shall we say, amusing.

Oooh, look at you trying to downplay it. That's very dishonest.

Why? Why would I do any such thing? This is great stuff! Keep 'em coming! Keep naming these great things that came from when the GOP was liberal!

You mean like the Vietnam war? You know, that thing that Kennedy and LBJ loved so much and killed thousands of young black men. Oh wait, those dudes were Democrats.

Ok, I got one, Oval Office blow jobs and cigar vaginal insertions. Dammit, that was democrat president Clinton.

I hope you haven't forgotten that the Dow climbed from 7,949.09 when Obama took office, after the previous Republican "ideas" obliterated the stock market, and took it to just under 20,000 his last day in office.

MW-FE221_DJIAPe_20170123083501_NS.png
You're funny.

Trump's plans could double US GDP growth by 2018, Deutsche Bank says

Since the OP wants to move the goalpost cause he got his ass whooped in the second post.. Let's just be honest.
Neither party has done any good for the country in a whole, in a while. Unless you are rich, an illegal or a terrorist, you've been fucked.

Since the OP wants to move the goalpost cause he got his ass whooped in the second post.. Let's just be honest.
Neither party has done any good for the country in a whole, in a while. Unless you are rich, an illegal or a terrorist, you've been fucked.

No one whooped any ass, certainly not any conservative here, but the idiots claiming that the GOP 150 years ago was even remotely conservative are doing a fantastic job kicking their own ass. Sure is entertaining, at least!

Forum List

Back