To those who've accepted Christ as their Savior..

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by -Cp, Nov 6, 2006.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    A few questions:

- Do you feel "the church" is effective at fullfilling the "Great Commission"?

- Would you agree or disagree that most church goers go out of a sense of duty?

- Would you agree or disagree that most church goers go out of a sense of self-engrandizement?

- Would you generally agree or disagree that most Church services are nothing more than an over-glorified Social club?

- If you go to church on Sunday's - why do you go?

2. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I'm somewhat envious of Christians. I used to believe, but now, due to various circumstances, I've fallen off the path so to speak. In many ways it's a blessing and a curse.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    1. I guess this depends on what Church you are talking about
    2. No, i dont think people would go if it was just duty. I think people go because they want to be there.
    3. not sure i understand what you mean by this one
    4. No. but then i havent been to most church services
    5. To feel the spirit and help people.

4. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363

So they need to go to a certain destination to "feel the Spirit"?

I'd argue that what most mainstream evangelicals are feeling - assuming they have to go to a certain building - is anything but "the spirit" but more likely a sense of self-indulged euphoria..

5. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I assume you mean the American Church. I think we could do A LOT more.

Duty, yes... self-aggrandizment? Maybe some people. It's very difficult to say you know for sure what others' motives are.

I agree.

Sometimes out of a sense of duty... it isn't always fun, that's for sure. I feel I am helping in something good bc I teach, and am a part of the service. Because of this, I don't often get to hear the sermon. I like the discussions in the pre-service session. The most important thing for me is the interpersonal connections we have built with other believers. However, I wish there was a little more pressure/support in getting deeper into the Spirit. I mean, not just LEARNING stuff, but sharing stories about how we have APPLIED this stuff to our lives.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Don't put words in his mouth. He didn't say that. He wrote "He goes" not "he MUST GO" in order to feel the spirit.

Then argue that - but you'd probably lose as there's no way to argue somebody is 'not' feeling or 'is' feeling something or a certain way.

I go to church because I find strength in numbers. I realize I will become like those with whom I share myself, and vice-versa. I go to church because the pastor of our church brings certian parts of my Christian life to the foreground of my mind. I go to church as an escape - a place where I know I'll have at least an hour and a half of being surrounded by people of like-mind..mostly. You can sharpshoot or nit-pick "The Church" until you're blue in the face - all that does is make one jaded and alone and spiritually weak.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Careful - I get the sense, from the tone of this thread, if you mention you 'enjoy' Church, you'll be called 'self-centered'... :)

8. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Well, maybe some people DO go just to get a "feel-good" rush. I know I like it when I get that. But, the main thing is, it seems to me, if we aren't applying this stuff OUTSIDE the church building, that's all it is---just a rush. I certainly forget things once I get out the door, but I hope SOME of it sticks in my mind and comes out in my actions. :)

But, Cp, I hope you aren't trying to say that that is ALL church is for people. I think, as a group in America, we ARE too complacent, because we are so comfortable. But, I have found that when something is really bothering me about another person or group of people, that is really God's way of illustrating to me what is bothering HIM about ME. :(

If we want to change the Church, we should start by changing ourselves.

9. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363

No word placement here man.... the context of the question and his answer was a "they" - as in most people....

Additionally, there is no "tone" here darin - these are simply posted as thought-provoking questions to get us to pause for a bit and ponder to ourselves as to the reasons behind the things we do under the mantra of "Christianity".. that's all..

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    You did place words:

It's a logical fallacy to state "Because THIS happens (he goes to church to feel the spirit), something ELSE must be true (people must go to church to feel the spirit). Your use of the word 'so' indicates you're drawing a conclusion - because HE goes to church to feel the spirit, "People MUST go to a specified destination to feel God's spirit."

Exactly - that's the tone of this thread...the flavour. Not tone as in 'attitude'...