Tip line targeting an individual American citizen

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Tip lines have been around for many years, almost as long as telephones. But I don't recall there EVER being a tip line that targets an individual American citizen who was previously cleared of a crime by an investigatory agency.

If you can think of any, please post. I would like a reminder.

Disgusting use of government resources and power.

It is disgusting and I personally think it may be illegal. This is nothing less than a witch hunt conducted by a racist government set upon destroying the country as we know it.

Here is an interesting article about the Salem witch phenomenon. Compare that with the Zimmerman case:

Scholars are divided about what caused "the witch craze." Some point to the turbulent changes taking place in the societies of the 16th and 17th centuries. In such stressful times, people and institutions often look for others to blame and make scapegoats out of them. Since most of the victims of the witch craze were women, many of them unmarried or widows, some experts have argued that its cause can be traced to the hatred of woman by the male-dominated societies of the time.

BRIA 14_1b Witch Hunt - Constitutional Rights Foundation

Here, let me paraphrase that for you:

Scholars are divided about what caused "the Zimmerman craze." Some point to the turbulent changes taking place in the societies of the 21st century. In such stressful times, people and institutions often look for others to blame and make scapegoats out of them. Since the victim of the Zimmerman craze is Latino some experts have argued that its cause can be traced to the hatred of Hispanics as 'honorary whites' by the blacks of the time.

Here are some modern day 'witch trials' listed in the article:

ACTIVITY: Modern Witch Crazes

Historians and writers have compared the witch craze of the 16th and 17th centuries to various events in the 20th century. Working as individuals or in groups, select one of the following events and research and write a one-page report comparing and contrasting it with the witch craze.

Stalin's Show Trials (1930s)

Nazi Persecution of the Jews (1930 and 40s)

America's Communist Scare (1950s)

China's Great Cultural Revolution (1960s)

The Satanic Child Abuse Scare (1970s)

Last edited:
[MENTION=43021]legaleagle_45[/MENTION]
@Ilar Meilyr
[MENTION=42969]jon_berzerk[/MENTION]

And others.

I'd like to see those with legal expertise pick up on this. What about this witch hunt?

this is at least the 3rd snitch line the prezbo has established

I don't have an issue with snitch lines in general. Crime stopper lines have been invaluable in bringing in criminals. But for a line like this to target an individual is something I have never seen.

Last edited:

I don't have an issue with snitch lines in general. Crime stopper lines have been invaluable in bringing in criminals. But for a line like this to target an individual is something I have never seen.

i do

when one of his snitch lines involved

reporting folks who talk poorly of his policies

i do

I'm referring to crime lines, local tip lines, like Crime Stoppers. Those have been very effective in bringing criminals to justice. The McCarthyism that is going on in government right now, not so much.

One thing about all this, eyes have been opened. I really doubt that the likes of zerobama and his band of hooligans will be elected again in this century. At least we can hope.

i do

But doesn't that contradict freedom of speech? Some people would be afraid to say what they believe if they knew they were being 'watched'. Personally, it wouldn't stop me from saying what I want, but I do see where some would be afraid. If they want to know what I think about their policies, come right out and ask me. I have nothing to hide, but it seems they do by doing this.

i do

But doesn't that contradict freedom of speech? Some people would be afraid to say what they believe if they knew they were being 'watched'. Personally, it wouldn't stop me from saying what I want, but I do see where some would be afraid. If they want to know what I think about their policies, come right out and ask me. I have nothing to hide, but it seems they do by doing this.

I'll never 'call in' what I think of a policy on a 'tip line.' I WILL, however, write letters that begin:

The Honorable (full name)
(Room #) (Name) House Office Building
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Senator (or Representative):

That is my right.

Incidentally, I recall Bush set up a line that you could call to express an opinion about starting the war in Iraq. Wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole either. If you are going to express an opinion to the government, you should do it in a formal letter, you know, the kind we are taught in junior high to write (that is if that part of the curriculum hasn't been replaced with sex ed), and keep a copy for myself. Government is a formal process. I realize we have entered the 'Information Age' and many things are done via computer. That doesn't mean that would cannot and should not be formal in addressing our people in Washington and our state legislators as well. I think using formality goes a long way in gaining their attention and respect of your opinions and questions.

i do

i would think so

but so was the hassling of tea party organizations by the IRS

i do

I'll never 'call in' what I think of a policy on a 'tip line.' I WILL, however, write letters that begin:

Washington, DC 20515

That is my right.

Incidentally, I recall Bush set up a line that you could call to express an opinion about starting the war in Iraq. Wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole either. If you are going to express an opinion to the government, you should do it in a formal letter, you know, the kind we are taught in junior high to write (that is if that part of the curriculum hasn't been replaced with sex ed), and keep a copy for myself. Government is a formal process. I realize we have entered the 'Information Age' and many things are done via computer. That doesn't mean that would cannot and should not be formal in addressing our people in Washington and our state legislators as well. I think using formality goes a long way in gaining their attention and respect of your opinions and questions.

The ‘formal letter’ has simply become the ‘formal email’ and is the format that I would use. It is just as professional, as long as you do it correctly. Working with government I also understand how central email is to the entire system. When the computers go down, no one knows what to do…

I fear that congress no longer cares though.

EDIT: A ‘tip line’ established to investigate a person deemed innocent is a gross use of governmental power and should be actionable.

Washington, DC 20515

That is my right.

The ‘formal letter’ has simply become the ‘formal email’ and is the format that I would use. It is just as professional, as long as you do it correctly. Working with government I also understand how central email is to the entire system. When the computers go down, no one knows what to do…

I fear that congress no longer cares though.

EDIT: A ‘tip line’ established to investigate a person deemed innocent is a gross use of governmental power and should be actionable.

I do use email to write Washington and Frankfort. But those emails are in the standard style of a letter.

I agree, congress likely no longer cares.

Forum List

Back