Time to once again re-educate idiot libs. The Civil War was NOT about slavery

Lincoln started the civil war to stop the southern states from succeeding. The southern states were succeeding because slavery was ending.... And we know this because of every article of succession states it. Thus, the war was about slavery.

HAHAHA. You misspelled "secession" three times you ignoramus. Anyway, he didn't start the war to stop secession - the states had already seceded and formed a new govt. He wanted to force them back into the union and he clearly said that was his goal. Not ending slavery.

" My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

Abraham Lincoln's Letter to Horace Greeley

Lincoln started the civil war to stop the southern states from succeeding. The southern states were succeeding because slavery was ending.... And we know this because of every article of succession states it. Thus, the war was about slavery.

HAHAHA. You misspelled "secession" three times you ignoramus. Anyway, he didn't start the war to stop secession - the states had already seceded and formed a new govt. He wanted to force them back into the union and he clearly said that was his goal. Not ending slavery.

" My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

Every time I update my phone my auto correct starts doing weird things. Doesn't recognize even the most common words and changes it to something different. I need to spell check better, but honestly I don't know why it happens every time I upgrade my phone.
The South knew with Lincoln's election slavery was coming to an end they began their exit in the very months following his election. It threatened their way of life and they were willing to die to protect it. The institution of slavery.

Every time I update my phone my auto correct starts doing weird things. Doesn't recognize even the most common words and changes it to something different. I need to spell check better, but honestly I don't know why it happens every time I upgrade my phone.

HAHAHA. You expect anyone to believe that? You're just another illiterate liberal who can't spell.

The South knew with Lincoln's election slavery was coming to an end they began their exit in the very months following his election. It threatened their way of life and they were willing to die to protect it. The institution of slavery.

The traitorous dumbasses.

HAHAHA. You expect anyone to believe that? You're just another illiterate liberal who can't spell.
I really don’t give a shit what you believe. New phone, shouldn’t have the same issue.

Last edited:
How could it be about slavery when

1. There were four UNION states that practiced slavery throughout the war. KY MD MO DE. Had 300,000 slaves total.

2. There were many UNION generals who were slave owners. Even Grant had a slave and his wife had a bunch of them.

3. Lincoln asked slave owner Robert E Lee to be commander of all UNION forces.

The idea that the CW was about freeing the slaves is not only wrong, it is preposterous. It's fake news the media has been feeding us for 150 years.

Yeah and people don' drink for the buzz they enjoy the taste:eusa_dance:

The Civil War happened because eleven slave states seceded. They seceded because of slavery.

Therefore, slavery caused the Civil War.

HAHAHA. So why did lincoln allow 4 slave states to remain in the Union?? THINK, white-hating racist.
Dayam, you racists are brain-dead. It's a shame you can't think.

That was Lincoln's attempt to keep the union whole.

It also has nothing to do with the 4 border states that never joined the confederacy as they had their own economic reasons.

And it has nothing to do with why the other slave states seceded, which as everyone knows, their primary reason was to keep their slaves.

And how do we know this ... ?

They fucking said so....

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth.

Were slavery an issue today: wonder what percentage of Americans would vote to keep slavery?

1. There were four UNION states that practiced slavery throughout the war. KY MD MO DE. Had 300,000 slaves total.

2. There were many UNION generals who were slave owners. Even Grant had a slave and his wife had a bunch of them.

The idea that the CW was about freeing the slaves is not only wrong, it is preposterous. It's fake news the media has been feeding us for 150 years.
the REASON listed by 9 of the States leaving the union for them leaving was slavery.

When your argument is an insult... you know it's not worth bothering with.

no one said that he civil war was started to free the slaves. At least no credible historian has nor has most thinking people. BUT the war was fought about slavery as in the States left the union because of slavery.

The Civil War happened because eleven slave states seceded. They seceded because of slavery.

HAHAHA. So why did lincoln allow 4 slave states to remain in the Union?? THINK, white-hating racist.

It also has nothing to do with the 4 border states that never joined the confederacy as they had their own economic reasons.

And it has nothing to do with why the other slave states seceded, which as everyone knows, their primary reason was to keep their slaves.

They fucking said so....

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth.

How many times has Shooter started virtually identical threads - with the same farcical argument to defend his beloved Confederacy?

Doesn't matter how many times that racist is shown the facts- he lives in denial.

Why add four more states to the Confederacy? States seceded based on their own status.

Actually there were more than four slave states in the Union, and we have Lincoln's own speeches saying it wasn't about slavery. none seceded over slavery, that's just propaganda and has no basis in fact.

Here one of the better analyses of the politics in the era leading up to Lincoln's dictatorship and insistence on an illegal Civil War.

Toward a New Synthesis on the Role of Economic Issues in the Political Realignment of the 1850s

Toward a New Synthesis on the Role of Economic Issues in the Political Realignment of the 1850s
Robert William Fogel
NBER Historical Working Paper No. 34
Issued in January 1992
NBER Program(s):DAE

After sketching various ways in which economic issues influenced the political realignment of the 1850s, the paper concentrates on five questions: (1) the timing of the economic issues and the disjunctions in economic developments across regions and classes; (2) the size of the nonagricultural male labor force of the North toward the end of the 1850s and the ethnic and residential distributions of these workers; (3) changes in the ethnic composition of the northern electorate and the sharp shift in the partisan affiliations of "Old Americans," especially between 1852 and 1860; (4) problems in measuring the ups and downs in the standard of living of northern nonagricultural workers between 1840 and 1860 and provisional estimates of the decline in their real wages between 1848 and 1855; (5) a provisional estimate of the excess supply of labor during 1854-1855 created by the unfortunate phasing of three cycles (the collapse of a long cycle in construction, the coincident trough of a relatively mild trade cycle, and the continued upswing of a long cycle in immigration).

... and ....

Problems in Modeling Complex Dynamic interactions: The Political Realignment of the 1850s

NBER Historical Working Paper No. 12
Issued in January 1993
NBER Program(s):DAE

The aim of this paper is to break open the stochastic component of a maj or political change and to show that what seems like the product of purely chance events is the particular conjunction of processes, each of which is definable in a systematic way, that provide collectively a favorable context in which purely chance events operate. It is only in a particular context that the purely chance events became decisive in bringing about a particular political outcome. Section 1 emphasizes that Lincoln's margin of victory in 1860 was so small that anyone of numerous chance events could have resulted in his defeat. Sections 2-4 outline the intergenerational, cohort, and period changes and events that created a context favorable for the political realignment of the l850s. Section 5 describes the key chance events of 1855 -1856, the absence of any of which could have prevented the formation of a major national Republican party in 1856, as well as the chance (or at least exogenous) events of 1857-1859, the absence of which could have led to splits in the Republican party that would have insured the victory of a proslavery candidate for the Presidency in 1860. Section 6 deals with the problems and advantages of turning the theory of the political realignment of the l850s implicit in sections 2-5 into an explicit, testable mathematical model. Section 7 explains why it is impossible to produce a general theory of political realignments that would have significant predictive power.

If the links don't work for you, you can find them at NBER's site; I have an account there and don't know if my links will work for anybody else. They explode several myths about what was going on in that era, including the myth of how massive immigration was just wonderful n stuff.. If that isn't enough we can find long lists of contemporary newspaper articles and quotes from Lincoln himself.

These working papers were published a book that includes other essays on the 19th Century U.S. economy and political and social consequences.

American Economic Development in Historical Perspective : Thomas Weiss : 9780804720847

Of course, as always, real history is no fun for ideologues and fantasists who need to invent 'glorious pasts' for their particular illusions.

Last edited:

They fucking said so....

How many times has Shooter started virtually identical threads - with the same farcical argument to defend his beloved Confederacy?

Doesn't matter how many times that racist is shown the facts- he lives in denial.

Fewer times than you have posted with zero factual rebuttals of anything.

Have any more questions we can answer for you?

They fucking said so....

Fewer times than you have posted with zero factual rebuttals of anything.

Have any more questions we can answer for you?

Ah Picaro with her usual trolling= with her usual zero factual content.

Here one of the better analyses of the politics in the era leading up to Lincoln's dictatorship and insistence on an illegal Civil War..

And by "Dictatorship" Picaro of course means being legally elected in the United States- twice.

And by insistence of an 'illegal Civil War' of course he means that Lincoln forced the Confederate Slave states to announce their secession even before his inaugeration.

The Confederate Slave states left the Union to protect their slave ownership 'rights'. They went to war to protect their new Confederate States.

The United States didn't go to war to end slavery- but did in fact - because of the war- end the very slavery that the Confederate States sought to protect.

Why add four more states to the Confederacy? States seceded based on their own status.

Actually there were more than four slave states in the Union, and we have Lincoln's own speeches saying it wasn't about slavery. none seceded over slavery, that's just propaganda and has no basis in fact.

Really? The documents of the Confederate slave states- and the Confederate Constitution show your claim to be a lie.

Lets start with South Carolina- the first state to secede:

"Declaration of Immediate Causes Which May Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union," 24 December 1860

Adopted on 24 December 1860, the Declaration of Immediate Causes explained why the state of South Carolina seceded from the Union. The 7-page manuscript (also printed by the state printer, Evans & Cogswell) provided a constitutional argument for South Carolina’s right to secede from the Union and establish sovereignty as a “separate and independent State.” Because the northern states had disregarded the fourth article of the United States Constitution to return runaway slaves, the committee argued that the federal compact was “deliberately broken.” With the compact broken, the state of South Carolina justified its secession from the Union.

Two Papers Regarding the Justifying Causes of Secession | Teaching American History

The Union of the Constitution, was a union of slaveholding States. It rests on slavery, by prescribing a Representation in Congress, for three-fifths of our slaves. There is nothing in the proceedings of the Convention which framed the Constitution, to shew, that the Southern States would have formed any other Union; and still loss, that of they would have formed a Union with more powerful non slaveholding States, having majority in both branches of the Legislature of the Government. They were guilty of no such folly. Time and the progress of things, have totally altered the relations between the Northern and Southern States, since the Union was established. That identity of feelings, interests and institutions, which once existed,
is gone. They are now divided, between agricultural–and manufacturing, and commercial States; between slaveholding, and non-slaveholding States. Their institutions and industrial pursuits, have made them, totally different peoples. That Equality in the Government between the two sections of the Union which once existed, no longer exists. We but imitate the policy of our fathers in dissolving a union with non-slaveholding confederates, and seeking a confederation with slaveholding States.

The constitution of the United States, in its 4th article, provides as follows:

“No person held to service or labor, in one state, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.”

This stipulation was so material to the compact, that without it that compact would not have been made. The greater number of the contracting parties held slaves, and they had previously evinced their estimate of the value of such a stipulation by making it a condition in the ordinance for the government of the territory ceded by Virginia, which now composes the states north of the Ohio river.

The same article of the constitution stipulates also for the rendition, by the several states, of fugitives from justice from the other states.

The general government, as the common agent, passed laws to carry into effect these stipulations of the states. For many years these laws were executed. But an in-creasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding states to the institution of slavery has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the general government have ceased to effect the objects of the constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa have enacted laws which either nullify the acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these states the fugitive is discharged from the service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the state government complied with the stipulation made in the constitution.....

On the 4th of March next this party will take possession of the government. It has announced that the South shall be excluded from the common territory; that the judicial tribunals shall be made sectional, and that a war must be waged against slavery until it shall cease through-out the United States.

The guaranties of the constitution will then no longer exist; the equal rights of the states will be lost. The slaveholding states will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the federal government will have become their enemy

not true 9 of the states specifically STATED in the declarations leaving the union it was because of slavery

Forum List

Back