Restored Audio | Man born in 1846 talks about fighting in the Civil War at age 16..

Deplorable Yankee

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2019
DIXIE

Restored Audio | Man born in 1846 talks about fighting in the Civil War at age 16..​

Posted by Kane on August 19, 2022 12:40 am

NEWS JUNKIES -- CHECK OUT OUR HOMEPAGE

Extra clip

Julius Franklin Howell (January 17, 1846 – June 19, 1948) joined the Confederate Army when he was 16. After surviving a few battles, he eventually found himself in a Union prison camp at Point Lookout, Maryland.

In 1947, at the age of 101, Howell made this recording at the Library of Congress.

” .. of what we southern soldiers fought for. My friends, as a boy of 16 and 1/2 years old, I didn’t think about any abolition of slavery. My mind wasn’t developed enough to take in what the politicians had in mind. And hence, there was no trouble as for the freedom of the slaves. The south did not fight for the preservation or extension of slavery. My friends, this was a great curse on this country that we had slavery, and I thank God that I did not bring up my boys and girls under a system of slavery under which I was brought under.

What did you boys fight for then?

......for states rights

Links highlighted

Down with the union !

wjjwjwjjwj.jpeg

A progressive will stomp his feet in 3....2......1
SLAVERY!

Hardly anyone in the south had slaves anyway. Most people couldn't afford one, couldn't have fed and housed them, and had no reason to own one. This idea that bed wetting leftist pukes have about southern men fighting for slavery is as asinine as the idea that any of the northern states wanted the blacks moving up there after the war.

Forum List

Back