CDZ Time for a cross border "access tax"?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
So, I have thought about the massive advantage Canada has had with NAFTA for some time. Really after realising how quite clearly the Canadian market is unfree and really violates American businesses with no consequences (until today when Trump announced the lumber tax, dairy is next I presume).

I will give you an example of how unfair this is. Canada can open up a business and drive business to Americans via telephone or via the internet. Essentially on the "drop of a dime" (but cheaper). This is a very cheap and instant access to 300+ million citizens, many who have a much higher level of discretionary income and much higher dollar value. What do American businesses receive? Access to 35 million higher taxes, over-extended economic households (cost of living in massive, especially in Toronto) and businesses in Canada. This is a massive advantage for Canada.

So, as an example, when I worked at IBM I earned my job and competed with call centres in America for marketing and budget support. As it were, I beat out the Dallas call centre because I was very good at my job in sales, and expanded my team. In a one to one competition, I was a top rep. and drew funds from the Dallas call centre. We all reached out to the same businesses and operated the same manner, my results were best. 99.9% of my sales were with U.S businesses, maybe 1 or 2 sales were in Canada, because businesses here have little money to spend and even less vision for long term investment. The result of a nepotism, government run economy in which government contracts, corruption beat free market competition.

So, as much as I am in favor of free markets and competition, and I believe that IBM was prudent to fund my growing team (from just one to four full time), it begs the question, is it fair for Canadian businesses and operations to gain full access to the U.S market without any fee?

An "access tax" would be a reasonable request based on say, number of clients being reached out to on a monthly basis, value of clients and client data. This would balance out the much lower Canadian dollar, communist-era buying of jobs for state purposes, and, also protect against tampering in businesses as Canada does at the executive and HR level.

Now as a free market, laissez-faire economist, this on the surface, goes against all that I believe in. However, knowing what I know about the Canadian "centralized government" I can no longer support such operations when it is apples to oranges. America is a free market based on competition, best and brightest succeeding and liberty for citizens and businesses, Canada is not, leaving American businesses at a disadvantage. A national access tax or fee might balance this out. I had presented some of these ideas via the "comments" section of the White House website and will continue to reach out.

Thoughts on this premise or a similar permutation of it?

Last edited:
I will give you an example of how unfair this is. Canada can open up a business and drive business to Americans via telephone or via the internet. Essentially on the "drop of a dime" (but cheaper). This is a very cheap and instant access to 300+ million citizens, many who have a much higher level of discretionary income and much higher dollar value. What do American businesses receive? Access to 35 million higher taxes, over-extended economic households (cost of living in massive, especially in Toronto) and businesses in Canada. This is a massive advantage for Canada.

Doesn't sound like it has been much benefit to Canadians. Is your point that NAFTA helps prop up unsound liberal policies in Canada?

Doesn't sound like it has been much benefit to Canadians. Is your point that NAFTA helps prop up unsound liberal policies in Canada?

No, my point is it's a great deal for Canada, for America...mmmmm not so much.

New Topics

Forum List

Back