Throwing anti-Semitism around like a rag doll

I have always had an issue with the hijacking of "Semitic" by Israel.

Semitic should be related to those who speak a Semitic language. The breakdown of which is...

The most widely spoken Semitic languages today are (numbers given are for native speakers only) Arabic (300 million), Amharic(22 million), Tigrinya (7 million), Hebrew (~5 million native/L1 speakers), Tigre (~1.05 million), Aramaic (575,000 to 1 million largely Assyrian fluent speakers) and Maltese (520,000 speakers).

Coming from Semite...

Semite
ˈsiːmʌɪt,ˈsɛmʌɪt/
noun
noun: Semite; plural noun: Semites
  1. a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.
To be antisemitic then, you have to be anti all of the above.

I am sure that there are a great many here who will argue that well, 'Jews need an official 'insult' for their own protections' or some other reason.

However, based upon fact, which some Team Israel seem to have a disliking to, antisemitic, however much you wish to bleat, will always relate to non Jews.

Semitic should be related to those who speak a Semitic language. The breakdown of which is...

The most widely spoken Semitic languages today are (numbers given are for native speakers only) Arabic (300 million), Amharic(22 million), Tigrinya (7 million), Hebrew (~5 million native/L1 speakers), Tigre (~1.05 million), Aramaic (575,000 to 1 million largely Assyrian fluent speakers) and Maltese (520,000 speakers).

Coming from Semite...

Semite
ˈsiːmʌɪt,ˈsɛmʌɪt/
noun
  1. a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.

I am sure that there are a great many here who will argue that well, 'Jews need an official 'insult' for their own protections' or some other reason.

However, based upon fact, which some Team Israel seem to have a disliking to, antisemitic, however much you wish to bleat, will always relate to non Jews.
Another dazed and confused undereducated PaliNazi supporters it's an allergy to the truth. The word "anti-semitism" originates in the 1800's (hundreds of years before modern state of Israel) and its synonym anti-Judaism has been around for thousands.

It was actually an anti-Semitic German who coined the phrase in the 1800's. Everyone knows what it refers to, whatever its technical meaning might be. Islamophobia has been coined recently to refer to hatred of Muslims and/or Arabs. So Humanity, if you are conversing with someone and you want to say that Muslims are saints and no one should hate them, I'd recommend you use the word Islamophobia instead of Anti-Semitism. Otherwise, you're only going to confuse the person you're talking to.

Coming from Semite...

Semite
ˈsiːmʌɪt,ˈsɛmʌɪt/
noun

Another dazed and confused undereducated PaliNazi supporters it's an allergy to the truth. The word "anti-semitism" originates in the 1800's (hundreds of years before modern state of Israel) and its synonym anti-Judaism has been around for thousands.

The roodboy never ceases to amaze and amuse...

It's like teaching a child to walk, frustrating at first but eventually they work it out. Let's hope you work it out soon roodboy.

Was there anything specific in my factual post that you want to challenge or did you just want to babble your mindless BS as usual?

Refute a single point in my post and the floor is yours.

Can't refute a single point then, well, you lose once again dickhead!

Coming from Semite...

Semite
ˈsiːmʌɪt,ˈsɛmʌɪt/
noun

It's like teaching a child to walk, frustrating at first but eventually they work it out. Let's hope you work it out soon roodboy.

Was there anything specific in my factual post that you want to challenge or did you just want to babble your mindless BS as usual?

Actually, Roudy did refute one of your statements. You said that the term "anti-Semite" was hijacked by "Israel." Roudy factually pointed out the term was coined in the 1800's, at least a hundred years before the State of Israel was created.

Also, it wasn't the Jews who coined or "hijacked" the phrase anti-Semite but, ironically, it was coined by an anti-Semitic German.

Last edited:
Also, it wasn't the Jews who coined or "hijacked" the phrase anti-Semite but, ironically, it was coined by an anti-Semitic German.

Ah yes, it was of German origin though the etymology is still debated.

Actually, Roudy did refute one of your statements. You said that the term "anti-Semite" was hijacked by "Israel." Roudy factually pointed out the term was coined in the 1800's, at least a hundred years before the State of Israel was created.

Hmm, well we shall not deflect from the subject by questioning your thoughts on Israel only being in existence for such a short period of time.

Suffice to say, the phrase is wrongly used to exclusively describe Jews.

Sure. Technically true. BUT words have accepted and easily understood meanings. Peanuts not being nuts, as an example. "anti-semitism" has an accepted and easily understood meaning. There is no reason to "correct" it any more than there is a need to "correct" the use of the word "peanut".

Given that many here argue that it should be "corrected", even those who are otherwise apparently reasonable, it leads me to believe there is a subtle motivation for doing so. Mostly I think its because people want to wish it away and claim that it doesn't exist. Its uncomfortable to look at such a global, enduring hatred. You hinted at this when you said, "Jews need an official insult". This makes me wonder if you want to erase a descriptive word for the particular type of hatred towards Jews. Why would you want to pretend that such a thing does not exist? Why would you want to minimize or hide or disguise such a thing? Why would you want to pool Jew hatred with "semitic" hatred?

The way I read it, and yes, it is very subtle, when you say, "Jews need an official insult" has elements of backlash against the canard of perceived choseness -- as in "why should Jews get to have a special word just for hatred against them -- what they think they are so special?".

Rejection of the easily understood word "anti-semitism" is a form of anti-semitism. It is used to minimize and make disappear hatred against Jews.

Coming from Semite...

Semite
ˈsiːmʌɪt,ˈsɛmʌɪt/
noun

What's there to refute, you illiterate dumbass? While the word Semite refers to Jews, Arabs and others in the region, the word anti-Semite (or antisemite) refers to hatred of Jews ONLY.

It's truly funny and entertaining observing you PaliNazi supporters explain this alternate reality you live in, where even words like anti-Semite have a different meaning. Ha ha ha.

Sure. Technically true. BUT words have accepted and easily understood meanings. Peanuts not being nuts, as an example. "anti-semitism" has an accepted and easily understood meaning. There is no reason to "correct" it any more than there is a need to "correct" the use of the word "peanut".

Given that many here argue that it should be "corrected", even those who are otherwise apparently reasonable, it leads me to believe there is a subtle motivation for doing so. Mostly I think its because people want to wish it away and claim that it doesn't exist. Its uncomfortable to look at such a global, enduring hatred. You hinted at this when you said, "Jews need an official insult". This makes me wonder if you want to erase a descriptive word for the particular type of hatred towards Jews. Why would you want to pretend that such a thing does not exist? Why would you want to minimize or hide or disguise such a thing? Why would you want to pool Jew hatred with "semitic" hatred?

The way I read it, and yes, it is very subtle, when you say, "Jews need an official insult" has elements of backlash against the canard of perceived choseness -- as in "why should Jews get to have a special word just for hatred against them -- what they think they are so special?".

Rejection of the easily understood word "anti-semitism" is a form of anti-semitism. It is used to minimize and make disappear hatred against Jews.
I had an argument once with a Polish Nazi Jew hating dirtbag that claimed antisemtism also means hatred of Arabs. And like inhumanity here, he used the definition of Semite. <OMG!> It's a typical ploy antisemites use to cloak their hatred for Jews. No suprises, he was also a big supporter of Palestinians and wanted the US to cut ties and all aid with Israel. SHOCKER! :lmao:

I had an argument once with a Polish Nazi Jew hating dirtbag that claimed antisemtism also means hatred of Arabs. And like inhumanity here, he used the definition of Semite. <OMG!> It's a typical ploy antisemites use to cloak their hatred for Jews. No suprises, he was also a big supporter of Palestinians and wanted the US to cut ties and all aid with Israel. SHOCKER! :lmao:

Because this OP of Israel bullying Poland would make me want to support Israel more?

I never once expressed support for Nazis, BTW.

Because this OP of Israel bullying Poland would make me want to support Israel more?

I never once expressed support for Nazis, BTW.
Wasn't talking about you. Now run along.

And you used the word antisemtism, did you mean antisemitism?

"misuse of word antisemitism"

Judaism is a religion. "Semite" is a racial category of Middle Eastern ancestry. Not all Semites are Jews. Probably most of them are Muslim and a few are Christian, Bahai, etc.

Not all Jews are Semitic, either. The Ashkenazi Jews are famous for not getting along with the Sephardic or other Semitic Jews.

Much of the time I don't know what people mean by "antisemitism" either. They are just not getting along with other people.
Look up "Marr" because in doing so you'll better understand the term anti-semitism and its historically derived meaning.

If you knew anything about the term anti-Semitic, you’d know it was coined over 100 years ago by German Jew haters who referred to European Jews as ‘Semites’ to emphasise their Semitic origins and who claimed they could never be European no matter how they tried to assimilate in European society.

These people proudly claimed to be anti-Semitic and used it as a badge of honour.

This makes it very ironic that Jew-haters today claim that Jews themselves are anti-Semitic for expressing hostility towards other Semitic peoplea who attack them.

Coming from Semite...

Semite
ˈsiːmʌɪt,ˈsɛmʌɪt/
noun

Israel had nothing to do with the origins of "anti-semitic", as a term. It was a German, Marr who coined the term. Don't you ever get tired of hating a nation in the name of Humanity?

If you knew anything about the term anti-Semitic, you’d know it was coined over 100 years ago by German Jew haters who referred to European Jews as ‘Semites’ to emphasise their Semitic origins and who claimed they could never be European no matter how they tried to assimilate in European society.

These people proudly claimed to be anti-Semitic and used it as a badge of honour.

This makes it very ironic that Jew-haters today claim that Jews themselves are anti-Semitic for expressing hostility towards other Semitic peoplea who attack them.
It boggles the mind. Now Israel is responsible for a term that long preceeded it. And Humanity, who sees himself as a moderate, can't see how blinded he is by his hatred of Israel.

And you used the word antisemtism, did you mean antisemitism?
Oh wow, a gotcha moment! Brought to us by the resident board antisemite. Still having a problem figuring out that word that best describes you? LOL

Coming from Semite...

Semite
ˈsiːmʌɪt,ˈsɛmʌɪt/
noun

Israel had nothing to do with the origins of "anti-semitic", as a term. It was a German, Marr who coined the term. Don't you ever get tired of hating a nation in the name of Humanity?
Thousands of years of antisemtism and these idiots want to convince us that it all began with the creation of the modern state of Israel in 1948.

Judaism is a religion. "Semite" is a racial category of Middle Eastern ancestry. Not all Semites are Jews. Probably most of them are Muslim and a few are Christian, Bahai, etc.

Not all Jews are Semitic, either. The Ashkenazi Jews are famous for not getting along with the Sephardic or other Semitic Jews.

Much of the time I don't know what people mean by "antisemitism" either. They are just not getting along with other people.
Look up "Marr" because in doing so you'll better understand the term anti-semitism and its historically derived meaning.
Sounds like another loser that blamed his / her own shortcomings on the Jews, his life story is a list of one failure after another:

Wilhelm Marr - Wikipedia

Friedrich Wilhelm Adolph Marr (November 16, 1819 – July 17, 1904) was a Germanagitator and publicist, who popularized the term "antisemitism" (1881).

Marr was born in Magdeburg as the only son of an actor and stage director.[2] He went to a primary school in Hanover, then to a high school in Braunschweig.[3] In Hamburg and Bremen, he was an apprentice in commerce, then he joined his father in Vienna, who had been engaged by the Burgtheater.[4] There he worked as an employee in two Jewish firms. Later, Marr claimed that he had unjustly lost his job.[4]

In 1841, he went to Zürich, where he became acquainted with political émigrés (like Georg Herwegh, Julius Fröbel, and August Follen), most of whom were members of the democratic or liberal leftist movements of the early 19th century.[5]

In 1843, Marr was expelled from Zürich under the accusation that he had furthered communist activities.[5] He turned to Lausanne, where he joined Hermann Döleke and Julius Standau, the founders of the secret Léman-Bund, which belonged to the "Junges Deutschland" (Young German Movement). Marr eventually became the head of the secret society and began to lean towards anarchism and atheism, founded another secret society, the "Schweizerischer Arbeiterbund" (Swiss Worker's Union) and edited the "Blätter der Gegenwart für soziales Leben" (Present-Day Papers for Social Life, 1844/45). In 1845 he was expelled from Lausanne, too, and went to Hamburg. There he became a political journalist and published the satirical magazine Mephistopheles (1847/48–1852).[6] He belonged to the leftists of the radical-democratic "party" and was a delegate to the National Assembly in Frankfurt after the March-Revolution of 1848.[7] After the ultimate failure of the revolution he became, like so many other former revolutionaries, a proponent of the idea of German unification under Prussian leadership.[7]

In 1852, Marr went abroad, to Costa Rica, where he tried to make a living as a businessman.[8] Lacking success, he returned to Hamburg, worked again as a journalist, and in 1854 he married Georgine Johanna Bertha Callenbach, daughter of a Jewish businessman who had renounced his faith.[9]

In 1859, Marr was elected member of the Hamburg Parliament. In an article, in the Courier an der Weser on 13 June 1862, he attacked the elected liberal speaker of the house, the Jewish lawyer Isaac Wolffson (de), accusing him and other Jews of betraying the democratic movement and abusing their emancipation in order to enter the city's merchant class. After extensive public protests, Marr was not reelected in 1862.[10]

Theories

Marr took these philosophies one step further by rejecting the premise of assimilation as a means for Jews to become Germans. In his pamphlet Der Weg zum Siege des Germanenthums über das Judenthum (The Way to Victory of Germanism over Judaism, 1879) he introduced the idea that Germans and Jews were locked in a longstanding conflict, the origins of which he attributed to race—and that the Jews were winning. He argued that Jewish emancipation resulting from German liberalism had allowed the Jews to control German finance and industry. Furthermore, since this conflict was based on the different qualities of the Jewish and German races, it could not be resolved even by the total assimilation of the Jewish population. According to him, the struggle between Jews and Germans would only be resolved by the victory of one and the ultimate death of the other. A Jewish victory, he concluded, would result in finis Germaniae (the end of the German people). To prevent this from happening, in 1879 Marr founded the League of Antisemites (Antisemiten-Liga), the first German organization committed specifically to combating the alleged threat to Germany posed by the Jews and advocating their forced removal from the country.

Although he had introduced the pseudo-scientific racial component into the debate over Jews in Germany, it is unlikely that he was influenced by the earlier theories of Arthur de Gobineau (author of An Essay on the Inequality of Human Races, 1853), who was only translated into German in 1898, a quarter of a century after Marr's pamphlet appeared. It is, however, highly probable that Marr was able to read Gobineau in French. Furthermore, Marr himself was very vague about what constituted race and, in turn, the racial differences between Jews and Germans, though this became a feature of Nazi racial "science". It remained for later racial thinkers to postulate specific differences: these included Eugen Dühring, who suggested that it was blood, and Houston Stewart Chamberlain, an influential race theorist and husband of Eva Wagner, Richard Wagner's daughter, who suggested phrenology as a means of distinguishing races.

On the other hand, it does seem likely that Marr was influenced by Ernst Haeckel, a professor who popularized the notion of Social Darwinism among Germany's educated classes.

Despite his influence, Marr's ideas were not immediately adopted by German nationalists. The Pan-German League, founded in 1891, originally allowed for the membership of Jews, provided they were fully assimilated into German culture. It was only in 1912, eight years after Marr's death, that the League declared racism as an underlying principle. Nevertheless, Marr was a major link in the evolving chain of German racism that erupted into genocide during the Nazi era.

Sounds like another loser that blamed his / her own shortcomings on the Jews, his life story is a list of one failure after another:

Wilhelm Marr - Wikipedia

Friedrich Wilhelm Adolph Marr (November 16, 1819 – July 17, 1904) was a Germanagitator and publicist, who popularized the term "antisemitism" (1881).

Marr was born in Magdeburg as the only son of an actor and stage director.[2] He went to a primary school in Hanover, then to a high school in Braunschweig.[3] In Hamburg and Bremen, he was an apprentice in commerce, then he joined his father in Vienna, who had been engaged by the Burgtheater.[4] There he worked as an employee in two Jewish firms. Later, Marr claimed that he had unjustly lost his job.[4]

In 1841, he went to Zürich, where he became acquainted with political émigrés (like Georg Herwegh, Julius Fröbel, and August Follen), most of whom were members of the democratic or liberal leftist movements of the early 19th century.[5]

In 1843, Marr was expelled from Zürich under the accusation that he had furthered communist activities.[5] He turned to Lausanne, where he joined Hermann Döleke and Julius Standau, the founders of the secret Léman-Bund, which belonged to the "Junges Deutschland" (Young German Movement). Marr eventually became the head of the secret society and began to lean towards anarchism and atheism, founded another secret society, the "Schweizerischer Arbeiterbund" (Swiss Worker's Union) and edited the "Blätter der Gegenwart für soziales Leben" (Present-Day Papers for Social Life, 1844/45). In 1845 he was expelled from Lausanne, too, and went to Hamburg. There he became a political journalist and published the satirical magazine Mephistopheles (1847/48–1852).[6] He belonged to the leftists of the radical-democratic "party" and was a delegate to the National Assembly in Frankfurt after the March-Revolution of 1848.[7] After the ultimate failure of the revolution he became, like so many other former revolutionaries, a proponent of the idea of German unification under Prussian leadership.[7]

In 1852, Marr went abroad, to Costa Rica, where he tried to make a living as a businessman.[8] Lacking success, he returned to Hamburg, worked again as a journalist, and in 1854 he married Georgine Johanna Bertha Callenbach, daughter of a Jewish businessman who had renounced his faith.[9]

In 1859, Marr was elected member of the Hamburg Parliament. In an article, in the Courier an der Weser on 13 June 1862, he attacked the elected liberal speaker of the house, the Jewish lawyer Isaac Wolffson (de), accusing him and other Jews of betraying the democratic movement and abusing their emancipation in order to enter the city's merchant class. After extensive public protests, Marr was not reelected in 1862.[10]

Theories

Marr took these philosophies one step further by rejecting the premise of assimilation as a means for Jews to become Germans. In his pamphlet Der Weg zum Siege des Germanenthums über das Judenthum (The Way to Victory of Germanism over Judaism, 1879) he introduced the idea that Germans and Jews were locked in a longstanding conflict, the origins of which he attributed to race—and that the Jews were winning. He argued that Jewish emancipation resulting from German liberalism had allowed the Jews to control German finance and industry. Furthermore, since this conflict was based on the different qualities of the Jewish and German races, it could not be resolved even by the total assimilation of the Jewish population. According to him, the struggle between Jews and Germans would only be resolved by the victory of one and the ultimate death of the other. A Jewish victory, he concluded, would result in finis Germaniae (the end of the German people). To prevent this from happening, in 1879 Marr founded the League of Antisemites (Antisemiten-Liga), the first German organization committed specifically to combating the alleged threat to Germany posed by the Jews and advocating their forced removal from the country.

Although he had introduced the pseudo-scientific racial component into the debate over Jews in Germany, it is unlikely that he was influenced by the earlier theories of Arthur de Gobineau (author of An Essay on the Inequality of Human Races, 1853), who was only translated into German in 1898, a quarter of a century after Marr's pamphlet appeared. It is, however, highly probable that Marr was able to read Gobineau in French. Furthermore, Marr himself was very vague about what constituted race and, in turn, the racial differences between Jews and Germans, though this became a feature of Nazi racial "science". It remained for later racial thinkers to postulate specific differences: these included Eugen Dühring, who suggested that it was blood, and Houston Stewart Chamberlain, an influential race theorist and husband of Eva Wagner, Richard Wagner's daughter, who suggested phrenology as a means of distinguishing races.

On the other hand, it does seem likely that Marr was influenced by Ernst Haeckel, a professor who popularized the notion of Social Darwinism among Germany's educated classes.

Despite his influence, Marr's ideas were not immediately adopted by German nationalists. The Pan-German League, founded in 1891, originally allowed for the membership of Jews, provided they were fully assimilated into German culture. It was only in 1912, eight years after Marr's death, that the League declared racism as an underlying principle. Nevertheless, Marr was a major link in the evolving chain of German racism that erupted into genocide during the Nazi era.

Sounds like Hitler's mentor.

Forum List

Back