Thousands surround Japan's parliament, protest US base plan

It's called casualties in war.
Only when it's against a country the U.S. doesn't like. If it's against the U.S. or a country the U.S. government likes then it's an atrocity.
So, no one else on this planet "didn't like" the Japanese during WWII? :dunno:
Who said that? But how many times are the horrible things the Japanese did during WWII just chalked up to war being hell or casualties in war? If Japan had had a nuke and dropped it on Detroit it'd be rightly called one of the greatest atrocities ever committed against a civilian population, but because "we" did it it's no big deal.
News flash: EVERYONE does horrific things in war. Hell Germany committed genocide, and now they are the leading European economy. Sack up Kevin.
Except Germany and Japan openly admit their crimes. The U.S. has never been good at that. Americans don't want to hear about horrible things done in the past, they just want to be told how awesome they are.
What horrible things?

Only when it's against a country the U.S. doesn't like. If it's against the U.S. or a country the U.S. government likes then it's an atrocity.
Who said that? But how many times are the horrible things the Japanese did during WWII just chalked up to war being hell or casualties in war? If Japan had had a nuke and dropped it on Detroit it'd be rightly called one of the greatest atrocities ever committed against a civilian population, but because "we" did it it's no big deal.
News flash: EVERYONE does horrific things in war. Hell Germany committed genocide, and now they are the leading European economy. Sack up Kevin.
Except Germany and Japan openly admit their crimes. The U.S. has never been good at that. Americans don't want to hear about horrible things done in the past, they just want to be told how awesome they are.
Fill yourself with hate for your own country. We were the good guys in WWII whether you like it or not. I'm not going to feel bad that our country did what it did. Get over it and move into the future or go to a "better" country.

I understand the frustration of those people, but don't they recognize the advantage of the U.S. maintaining an interest there? China's been flexing its muscles pretty hard lately, and those 2 don't exactly have the friendliest of history's...

But then again I wonder what politics are like over there. Maybe there's a movement to ally with China? I don't know :dunno:
Yes, but Japan is hardly innocent in stirring up trouble in the region. Regardless, this isn't coming from the ruling party, who have every incentive to keep the U.S. base there, but from the people who have to live with these soldiers next door.
The Japanese are an important fucking ally for the U.S. The way the world's going these days, I might put them at #1. We need them to be strong, and we need them to support an alliance with the U.S.
I'm all for friendliness with Japan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that the Japanese government hasn't been just as aggressive toward China as China has been toward Japan. Leave their issues between them and stay out of it is the best course for the U.S.
China has over a billion people and is one of the great military powers of the world. Japan barely has an army.

Japan is one of the world's top economies and one of our closest allies. We need to maintain that relationship.
Absolutely need to maintain that relationship. Need to maintain the relationship with China as well. Japan and China's problems are just that, Japan and China's problems. No need for the U.S. to be involved.

Fill yourself with hate for your own country. We were the good guys in WWII whether you like it or not. I'm not going to feel bad that our country did what it did. Get over it and move into the future or go to a "better" country.
And there's the mentality in practice: "We're the awesomest good guys whoever lived." Childish fantasies are no substitute for reality.

I understand the frustration of those people, but don't they recognize the advantage of the U.S. maintaining an interest there? China's been flexing its muscles pretty hard lately, and those 2 don't exactly have the friendliest of history's...

But then again I wonder what politics are like over there. Maybe there's a movement to ally with China? I don't know :dunno:
Yes, but Japan is hardly innocent in stirring up trouble in the region. Regardless, this isn't coming from the ruling party, who have every incentive to keep the U.S. base there, but from the people who have to live with these soldiers next door.
The Japanese are an important fucking ally for the U.S. The way the world's going these days, I might put them at #1. We need them to be strong, and we need them to support an alliance with the U.S.
I'm all for friendliness with Japan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that the Japanese government hasn't been just as aggressive toward China as China has been toward Japan. Leave their issues between them and stay out of it is the best course for the U.S.
China has over a billion people and is one of the great military powers of the world. Japan barely has an army.

Japan is one of the world's top economies and one of our closest allies. We need to maintain that relationship.
Absolutely need to maintain that relationship. Need to maintain the relationship with China as well. Japan and China's problems are just that, Japan and China's problems. No need for the U.S. to be involved.
We need to be involved in preventing any kind of war there. And since our foreign policy has shifted to the far east I think we'll be able to do that.

Because mass murder is hilarious.

... and now Germany markets itself as a promoter of global peace. Example: Ukraine crisis :)

We need to be involved in preventing any kind of war there. And since our foreign policy has shifted to the far east I think we'll be able to do that.
That's what the U.S. is known for, preventing war. More likely our involvement will just make matters worse, as it's done everywhere we've ever meddled.

And there's the mentality in practice: "We're the awesomest good guys whoever lived." Childish fantasies are no substitute for reality.
Your mentality will make our country fail. Why would you try to drag your own country through the dirt? I think we should do what it takes to be winners.

Your mentality will make our country fail. Why would you try to drag your own country through the dirt? I think we should do what it takes to be winners.
The country is failing because Americans prefer platitudes to hard truths, and this allows the politicians to do whatever they want so long as they chant "U-S-A!" while they do it.

What horrible things?
Stop playing the coy bitch. :slap:

That's what the U.S. is known for, preventing war. More likely our involvement will just make matters worse, as it's done everywhere we've ever meddled.
Except here we're dealing with 1st world, secular countries with something to lose. Instead of 3rd world religious lunatics, which we've been obsessed with for no reason for 5 decades.

Except here we're dealing with 1st world, secular countries with something to lose. Instead of 3rd world religious lunatics, which we've been obsessed with for no reason for 5 decades.

Japan is very vital to the U.S. interest. Yet, there is far greater obsession among Americans for middle east than Japan or other Asian countries. This I find very strange.

Obviously we care more about our own country... You think they gave a fuck when they bombed us in pearl harbor?
Probably not, but how many official apologies has the U.S. been given from Japanese governments regarding Pearl Harbor? How many apologies have been given over Hiroshima or Nagasaki?
Why should we apologize for responding to being attacked and having war waged against us, you fucking idiot?
Oh brother.
Well, why should we?

Japan is very vital to the U.S. interest. Yet, there is far greater obsession among Americans for middle east than Japan or other Asian countries. This I find very strange.
We have the highest population of evangelical Christians in the world. And for them religion overcomes logic, so they think the "holy" lands of the middle east are their responsibility for whatever reason. And unfortunately they hold a disproportionate amount of political sway here...

We have the highest population of evangelical Christians in the world. And for them religion overcomes logic, so they think the "holy" lands of the middle east are their responsibility for whatever reason. And unfortunately they hold a disproportionate amount of political sway here...

I know :) I have been living in the U.S. for over two decades now.

Going forward, we need to be very smart though because China is a whole different ball game and I mean it. They have a population of one billion people. Right now only 25% Chinese are empowered and we are feeling the heat. Imagine what will happen when 75% Chinese are empowered.

I know :) I have been living in the U.S. for over two decades now.

Going forward, we need to be very smart though because China is a whole different ball game and I mean it. They have a population of one billion people. Right now only 25% Chinese are empowered and we are feeling the heat. Imagine what will happen when 75% Chinese are empowered.
I couldn't agree more. We need to forget the middle east and improve our relationships with Japan and especially India. And shift our focus to either becoming one of the major powers in the far east or making them our friends. Or else there's going to be a colossal superpower in Asia (China and the allies it gathers around it), and all we'll be able to do is hope they leave us be.

WWI is a great example of dealing with first world modern countries in a way that makes everything worse. The U.S. had no business getting involved, and their involvement led directly to WWII.

WWI is a great example of dealing with first world modern countries in a way that makes everything worse. The U.S. had no business getting involved, and their involvement led directly to WWII.
You're so smart man. You should be president.

You're so smart man. You should be president.
How dare you?

Forum List

Back