Thousands surround Japan's parliament, protest US base plan

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Why?

---

TOKYO: Thousands of demonstrators formed a human chain around Japan's parliament in Tokyo on Sunday, protesting the planned construction of a new US airbase on the southern island of Okinawa.

The protesters, who organisers said numbered about 15,000, surrounded the parliament building holding banners reading "No to Henoko", in the latest rally against the controversial base.

Henoko is a small coastal area on Okinawa where Tokyo and Washington plan to relocate the existing Futenma military facility, currently situated in built-up Ginowan.

"We must stop this construction," said one of the protesters, Akemi Kitajima, 66.

"The government is trying to force the plan no matter how strongly Okinawa says 'no' to it."

Okinawa is home to more than half of the 47,000 US service personnel stationed in Japan as part of a defence alliance, a proportion many islanders say is too high.

The plan to move Futenma, first mooted in 1996, has become the focus of anger among locals, who insist it should be shuttered and a replacement built elsewhere in Japan or overseas.

But both Tokyo and Washington have repeatedly backed the plan, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe last month insisting it was "the only solution".

The protestors on Sunday also expressed opposition to Washington's scheduled deployment of CV-22 Osprey aircraft at US Yokota Air Base in Tokyo.

The Osprey is a hybrid aircraft with rotors that allow it to take off like a helicopter and engines that can tilt forward, enabling it to fly like an aeroplane at greater speed than a chopper.

More than two dozen Ospreys have been already deployed at Okinawa's Futenma airbase, prompting safety concerns from local residents.

Today's rally comes a week after 35,000 people on Okinawa, led by the anti-base governor, protested the new US base plan.

Thousands surround Japan s parliament protest US base plan - The Times of India

Today, we drove past a new restaurant called "Tokyo Japanese Cuisine".

I mused to the Mrs. "why don't you see restaurants named 'Hiroshima Japanese Cuisine' or 'Nagasaki Japanese Cuisine'"?

:dunno:

I understand the frustration of those people, but don't they recognize the advantage of the U.S. maintaining an interest there? China's been flexing its muscles pretty hard lately, and those 2 don't exactly have the friendliest of history's...

But then again I wonder what politics are like over there. Maybe there's a movement to ally with China? I don't know :dunno:

I understand the frustration of those people, but don't they recognize the advantage of the U.S. maintaining an interest there? China's been flexing its muscles pretty hard lately, and those 2 don't exactly have the friendliest of history's...

But then again I wonder what politics are like over there. Maybe there's a movement to ally with China? I don't know :dunno:

I think people in general are averse to the idea of foreign of bases on their soil even if they are there to protect them.

I think people in general are averse to the idea of foreign of bases on their soil even if they are there to protect them.
Well Japan needs to start arming up then. I know there's a movement there to begin building up their military again, and I couldn't agree more.

Well Japan needs to start arming up then. I know there's a movement there to begin building up their military again, and I couldn't agree more.

I completely agree. Chinese at least the leadership is hell bent on seeking revenge and they don't seem to have any grasp of noble concepts like forgive and forget. I think Abe realizes that and is making some effort to bolster Japanese defense. It seems like majority of Japanese folks support Abe.

I completely agree. Chinese at least the leadership is hell bent on seeking revenge and they don't seem to have any grasp of noble concepts like forgive and forget. I think Abe realizes that and is making some effort to bolster Japanese defense. It seems like majority of Japanese folks support Abe.
Well I want Japan to be safe. But I also hope Abe isn't like Bush was over here, and tries to instigate things that should be left alone.

I mused to the Mrs. "why don't you see restaurants named 'Hiroshima Japanese Cuisine' or 'Nagasaki Japanese Cuisine'"?

They tried that, but it bombed.

Just wasn't much of a market for blackened sushi. :scared1:

I used to live in Japn and if I remember correctly about Okinawa, there have been rapes perpetrated by marines there, one on a quite young girl.

They're never going to want the US military over there. Why would they?
Lots of young men who are alcoholics and trouble makers. Lots of money involved in it that business would miss there if they were to leave though.

Because mass murder is hilarious.

Yes, but Japan is hardly innocent in stirring up trouble in the region. Regardless, this isn't coming from the ruling party, who have every incentive to keep the U.S. base there, but from the people who have to live with these soldiers next door.

Well I want Japan to be safe. But I also hope Abe isn't like Bush was over here, and tries to instigate things that should be left alone.

Abe is a very solid dude. He is not a hardliner by any stretch of imagination. He is just tired of threats after threats that Chinese leadership spews out against Japanese people despite Japanese people showing nothing but remorse for what happened during the World War II.

And war is hell.

We get it, you bleeding heart twit. :slap:

Forum List

Back