Thoughts on Homeschooling?

When I was in elementary I got kicked out of the private school twice then three times when I was in high school also private school. That includes fist fight with male teachers. All because of bullying. I'm not proud of it I regret it and I wish there is a way I can go back and fix it. This probably will haunt me for the rest of my life.
Being said. Last time I got kicked out AGAIN when I was in junior high in early February. Public school was not an option. So my parents hired 2 private teachers one is mid 50s and 35 years old both child psychologist an felt like I have 3 mothers at home. I was home schooled for approximately 4 months. First week I was miserable because I missed my friends and socializing. Since some my friends live close by they came to my house and play with me after school. Then it became routine, we play little basketball, tennis or swimming that they do their homework with me at the same time. During weekend both Saturday and Sunday I played adult (b/c of my size ) basketball tournament. IME being home schooled did not have any problem socializing but my grades are better and learned how to respect others. That was in LaJolla San Diego. Because of unavoidable circumstances I finished my high school in Miami close to my other house in Key Biscayne. Surprisingly I graduated without getting in trouble.

On the side. I did have a sexual relationship with my 35 years old teacher and the reason why I moved and finished my HS in Miami. I was 16 at that time but this is the wrong location to post.. When I have time I will post this in....Do you consider this child sex abuse? by Bonzi.
Gracious!

I got kicked out of every school I went to starting with elementary school. I wasn't a bully. I just didn't want to be bothered by anyone. It made no difference whether someone intended to bully me or just say hello. I beat them up the same. Needless to say, socialization was impossible. Not that no one tried. I was enrolled in a girl's softball team, dance class and the girl scouts all with disastrous results. I was homeschooled because it wasn't safe for me to be around others.

When I was 13 I got a 26 year old boyfriend. All my friends became adults. I had nothing to do with my age peers. Then things began to change. I began to learn self control and substitution of violent acts with other means of behavior that was almost as effective.

I'm looking to talk about this here before I take the discussion to FB with family, friends, and coworkers.

The more I think about homeschooling, the more it angers me.

Having actually been homeschooled, I know and understand it more than anyone against it who hasn't been homeschooled. The real problem isn't a matter of academic quality—my grades were superior to those students my age in the local public school.

No, the real problem is the lack of socialization public schooling gives you. I don't care if it means you get beaten up, or try weed, or have underage sex, or other things like that in public school—you need to be immersed among hundreds of other kids your age when you're young. That socialization is so damned important!

I do very well on the academic front, but homeschooling—especially when it's of a religious nature—can lead to isolation and introversion! Only as a young man in my later twenties, being immersed in a highly social and competitive field working in a hospital, do I now feel more and more social, and crave that constant human interaction and fear less the thought of sharing parts of my soul openly with others.

What I am right now is angry. Feeling it right now. I didn't get much of a choice being homeschooled. Being young, having ADHD, I got savagely bullied and beat. The limp-wristed school officials who were too scared to do anything about those fuckers did nothing! Didn't matter that they took wet, rolled up towels and used them to whip gashes into my skin for fun—this was when I was a kid in swim class. So my social well-being was sacrificed so I could be safe—because those school officials did NOTHING—and I did get better grades which became very useful when college came around.

Still, I am an introvert because of homeschooling. Being an introvert in and of itself is not bad—I know a lot of fairly fucking stupid extroverts. It's just that being around a lot of people your age when you're young is really important. They just need to get their act together to clean up the scum in the public school system.

I don't know what should be done about homeschooling. Those kids NEED to be socializing a lot. It's incredibly important. More than a few religious folk homeschool their kids, and some of those folk don't think too much about the vital need to socialize.

I want to know if there's anyone else here who came from a similar background to mine. I want you to tell me—from the bottom of you heart—how wrong or right you believe I am. I won't bite—I'll respect your opinion. Just, please, level with me here to help me understand this better and try to get over my emotions on this.

I think education is more than just grades.

I understand why some people do it, the US education system isn't the best and doesn't necessarily prepare kids for the future like it should. But still, I agree with you that socializing is an important factor in school.

And the parents who really care about their kids' education and decide to home school will make sure their kids get plenty of time interacting with their peers. Today's home school environment addresses most if not all the fears of those who oppose it for some reason or other.

I'm looking to talk about this here before I take the discussion to FB with family, friends, and coworkers.

The more I think about homeschooling, the more it angers me.

Having actually been homeschooled, I know and understand it more than anyone against it who hasn't been homeschooled. The real problem isn't a matter of academic quality—my grades were superior to those students my age in the local public school.

No, the real problem is the lack of socialization public schooling gives you. I don't care if it means you get beaten up, or try weed, or have underage sex, or other things like that in public school—you need to be immersed among hundreds of other kids your age when you're young. That socialization is so damned important!

I do very well on the academic front, but homeschooling—especially when it's of a religious nature—can lead to isolation and introversion! Only as a young man in my later twenties, being immersed in a highly social and competitive field working in a hospital, do I now feel more and more social, and crave that constant human interaction and fear less the thought of sharing parts of my soul openly with others.

What I am right now is angry. Feeling it right now. I didn't get much of a choice being homeschooled. Being young, having ADHD, I got savagely bullied and beat. The limp-wristed school officials who were too scared to do anything about those fuckers did nothing! Didn't matter that they took wet, rolled up towels and used them to whip gashes into my skin for fun—this was when I was a kid in swim class. So my social well-being was sacrificed so I could be safe—because those school officials did NOTHING—and I did get better grades which became very useful when college came around.

Still, I am an introvert because of homeschooling. Being an introvert in and of itself is not bad—I know a lot of fairly fucking stupid extroverts. It's just that being around a lot of people your age when you're young is really important. They just need to get their act together to clean up the scum in the public school system.

I don't know what should be done about homeschooling. Those kids NEED to be socializing a lot. It's incredibly important. More than a few religious folk homeschool their kids, and some of those folk don't think too much about the vital need to socialize.

I want to know if there's anyone else here who came from a similar background to mine. I want you to tell me—from the bottom of you heart—how wrong or right you believe I am. I won't bite—I'll respect your opinion. Just, please, level with me here to help me understand this better and try to get over my emotions on this.
I think the discussion you should be having is one with a qualified therapist. And I truly mean that. Getting your anger validated via social media will not help you.

Good luck Wake

Forum List

Back